STOS Basic 2.07
Click here to download Beta 2 or
here to download Beta 3
NOTE: Beta 3's compiler is buggy - use beta 2, but 3 has more
As is widely known, there are problems with using STOS on certain OS versions
due to a rather stupid decision by the programmers of STOS to have a table
of un-documented addresses in the header of STOS programs. This table has
been replaced by various fixer programs (such as my own
Generic STOS Fixer), however these cannot get
around the basic limit of 8 tables in the header.
Also, as the Atari hardware has advanced, some initialisation that is necessary
on newer machines (ie. Falcons) is not done.
For this reason, I have created a new loader program for STOS which I am
describing as a new version of STOS, which has the following new features:
I also plan to add:
- TOS table big enough for 15 OS versions, with tables for all current TOS
- Some parts of the table are calculated at run-time - so will work without
info about that specific TOS version (good for Magic).
- Improved OS version routines, which improves compatibility with TOS images
(eg. GEMulator Demo).
- Falcon screen mode is correctly restored on exit.
- TOS version displayed on start of STOS is correct (not always 1.62!).
- Falcon sound-system is set to STE compatiblity mode on startup.
- Falcon compatibility options (8Mhz, cache off etc) for compiled programs.
If you have any other suggestions as what should be added, then email me. :)
- Sample playback on start of STOS editor on STE or above.
- True-colour title screen for STOS editor on Falcons.
Well, this is still in the beta test stages - there are definately some bugs
still there, and I haven't done everything that I want to. However, you can
get a copy of the beta from here. This is not to
be spread widely (uploaded to FTP sites, put in PD libraries) but is designed
for people on the net to give me feedback.
Strictly speaking, this is legally a bit iffy as I have had to disassemble
the old loader to create my new one. However, one of the original authors
of STOS (Constantin Sotiropoulos) is aware of this, and EuroPress
(distributers) have said that they 'have no interest in STOS'. Therefore,
I see no ethical problem with upgrading STOS - you will still need an original
to use the new loader program.
I intend to release this as postcardware - I will not be charging anything for
this software. All that I ask is that you email me, or send me a postcard or
letter telling me about what you are using it for. I am even releasing the
source code for the curious...
Back to the index page...