Access keys | Skip to primary navigation | Skip to secondary navigation | Skip to content | Skip to footer |
Problems viewing this site
Cultural heritage > Registers and inventories > Search results

Central Railway Station

Place ID 
  600073
Status 
  Permanent Entry
Address 
  304 Ann Street
Town/Suburb 
  BRISBANE
LGA 
  BRISBANE CITY COUNCIL
Theme 
  Moving goods and people
Theme 
  Supplying urban services (power, transport, fire prevention, roads, water, light and sewerage)

Significance

The Central Railway Station was opened in 1889 as part of the connection of Roma Street through Central to Brunswick Street, Bowen Hills and Mayne. The extant building was erected in 1899 to replace the previous temporary timber and corrugated iron building. The complex demonstrates the evolution of the history of Queensland by being representative of the development of railway usage in Queensland. It is a significant landmark in the city of Brisbane. The Central Railway Complex is of considerable aesthetic significance due to its landmark qualities and for its high degree of design and workmanship. The building has special association with architect, J J Clark who was responsible for the final design of the building.

History

Central Station was constructed as the inner city link of the Queensland railway network, operational from 18 August 1889. The first Station building at Central was of timber and corrugated iron with pitched roof and segmental barrel vaulted roof over the platform serving Roma Street. On 12 May 1899, a contract was let for a permanent building. It is thought that the initial design was conceived in the architectural section of the Railway Department's Chief Engineer's Office, however the architect is unknown. The additions of the clock tower and awning were designed by former Colonial Architect, J J Clark. The initial complex comprised two through tracks and a dock with two tracks on either side. In 1909 the dock platforms were converted to provide two additional through tracks. No further substantial changes were made to the complex until 1914 when the Edward Street side wing was extended. Shortly after, a second storey was added to the side wing at the Creek Street end of the building. Work of a minor nature was then carried out until the 1970s, when substantial alterations to the complex took place. This included the construction of Railway Centre in the 1970s, followed by the construction of the Sheraton Hotel in the 1980s.

Description

The Central Station complex has been substantially altered, with the most intact section being the facade fronting Ann Street. This section is an example of Federation Free Style architecture. The complex fronts Ann Street and is bounded by Edward, Turbot and Creek Streets. The clock tower of the Ann Street frontage aligns with the war memorial opposite and the entire building provides a backdrop for Anzac Square [600062]. The Ann Street building of Central Station comprises a symmetrically designed building with a central section and clock tower, flanked by two storey intermediate wings on either side. It is of face brick, coloured red, with decorative elements of stone and a cream coloured brick. A side wing is located on the Creek Street side of the main building. As a working railway station, the entire complex has undergone much alteration, and little remains of the original station. Internally, the spaces are also substantially altered, with little original fabric remaining. The most intact area located at the southwestern end of the Edward Street wing of the building, now used as a bar.


Information about places in the Queensland Heritage Register is maintained by the Environmental Protection Agency under the Queensland Heritage Act 1992. Information available here is only part of the full Register entry and should not be taken as an official entry. Absence does not mean a particular place is not in the Register.

Certified copies of the full entries in the Register are available for a fee. You can also search the full Register for a fee to find out if a place or parcel of land is listed or otherwise affected by the Act.

Last updated: 08 Dec 2006