Nathan M. Newmark Medal
This award was established by the Engineering Mechanics and Structural Divisions to honor Nathan M. Newmark, Hon.M.ASCE, for his outstanding contributions in structural engineering and mechanics. The funds for the award were contributed by the honoree's former students in appreciation of the quality of education they received under this guidance at the University of Illinois. The medal was officially instituted by action of the Board of Direction on November 1-2, 1975.
The award consists of a gold medal and a certificate.
- The award may be made to a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers who, through contributions in structural mechanics, has helped substantially to strengthen the scientific base of structural engineering, these contributions having been made in the form of papers or other written presentations. The field of structural mechanics should be interpreted broadly and should include continuum mechanics related to structural and geotechnical engineering.
- Award recipients are nominated for the ASCE Executive Committee approval by a committee composed of the three most recently retired chairs of the Executive Committee of the Engineering Mechanics Division and the three most recently retired chairs of the Structural Engineering Institute Executive Committee. The chair of the award committee alternates annually between the representatives of the two entities having the longest tenure on the Committee.
- NoMINEES not selected in a given year will be held over for consideration for one additional year. At the end of two years, nominees not chosen will no longer be eligible for consideration. Nominators who wish for their candidate to be considered for another two-year period must produce a new nomination package.
- Not more than one award of the prize is made each year unless the achievement upon which the award is based is considered to be the contribution of more than one individual such as joint authorship of a paper. In such cases duplicate or multiple prizes are tendered only if the balance then available in the award fund is adequate for the purpose.
To nominate, submit the following:
Electronic submissions are encouraged to email@example.com by November 1. Paper submissions are also accepted, in which case one copy of the complete nomination package should be received by the Honors and Awards Program at the ASCE headquarters: 1801 Alexander Bell Drive, Reston, VA 20191-4400.
- A cover letter, signed by the nominator
- An Official Award Nomination form
- The nominee's CV or biographical information
- Two or three letters of recommendation
CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF PAST AWARD RECIPIENTS