Law seeks out Texas football, again

By Philip Jankowski
Police have issued an arrest warrant for Texas football defensive tackle Andre Jones in connection to an alleged robbery which landed former Longhorn safety Robert Joseph in jail last week. Jones, a freshman, will be charged with aggravated robbery with a deadly weapon, a first-degree felony, according to the Austin Police Department.

Jones was still at large as of Thursday afternoon, though his attorney told APD he would turn himself in on Thursday, said Detective Anthony Bigongiari.

Jones is the fourth UT football player to face criminal charges this summer. Defensive end Henry Melton and linebacker Sergio Kindle were both arrested on charges of driving while intoxicated.

Today is Jones' 18th birthday.

Police were able to identify Jones as the other person of interest in the robbery via Robert Heyward, the owner of the vehicle the suspects used to flee the scene. On the afternoon of the robbery, Heyward picked up Joseph and another person. Heyward said the other person went by "Big Dre" or "Dre" and was a Texas football player.

Police then matched the description from witnesses and Heyward to the Longhorn football roster online. Jones was described as the only light-skinned black player going by the name Dre. The victims all picked Jones in a photo lineup as the second robber, Bigongiari said.

On July 27 officers responded to a call at an apartment complex at 4600 Belmont Drive. According to affidavits, two black men entered the apartment and threatened the lives of five young men, including a 14-year-old in the apartment.

While Joseph allegedly was the only one of the two to brandish a weapon at the victims, witnesses stated Jones made remarks indicating he had a handgun tucked in the waistband of his pants, Bigongiari said.

The two allegedly stole a laptop, portable electronics, video games, a small amount of cash and unnamed contraband, Bigongiari said. He would not comment on what the contraband was or give an estimate of the value of the items taken.
Page 1 of 2 next >

Article Tools

The Texan strives to present all information fairly, accurately and completely.
If we have made an error, let us know about it here, or email managingeditor@dailytexanonline.com.

Voice your opinion!

Let your voice be heard. Fill out your comments below.
Be sure to include your name, major, and classification. Submissions without this information are subject to deletion.
By clicking Post, you give The Daily Texan the right to publish your comments in any form, including online and in print in The Firing Line. Please limit your comments to 300 words. The Daily Texan reserves the right to edit all comments for brevity, clarity and liability.
You may also send Firing Lines to the editor at firingline@dailytexanonline.com

Be the first to comment on this story

• NOTE: Email address will not be published

Type your comment below (html not allowed)

I understand posting spam or other comments that are unrelated to this article will cause my comment to be flagged for deletion and possibly cause my IP address to be permanently banned from this server.

ADVERTISEMENTS

Austin Real Estate
Dresses Dresses
New Home Austin Texas
Dresses for Prom
Moroccan Furniture
Concert Tickets
$49 Prom Dresses Bridesmaid
Mortgage Refinancing

Prom Dresses
T-Shirts
Discount Shopping
Real Estate
Texas Longhorns Tickets
Generate traffic! Advertise on dailytexanonline.com

Copyright (c) 2006 The Daily Texan and Texas Student Publications. All Rights Reserved.
Advertising Rates | Around Campus | Back Issues | Contact Us
Submit a Firing Line | Submit Around Campus | Buy Photos
Advertising Supplements | Super Coupons
Texas Student Publications