Rivalry still a big deal for football team, fans
Winner of Red River shootout has gone on to national title game three of last seven years

By Joseph Millares
  • Print
  • Email
  • Page 1 of 1
The Red River Rivalry is as alive as it has ever been. Longhorn fans flooded the Main Mall in front of the Tower for the annual Torchlight Parade and rally Wednesday night.

Though both Texas and Oklahoma have a loss on the season, the rivalry is alive and well.

"[OU fans] are a bunch of toothless hicks," said radio-television-film and computer sciences senior Sergio Davila.

The bad blood that seems to fuel this rivalry can be attributed to many things.

For one thing, the Texas-Oklahoma game is usually accompanied by BCS implications.

Since 1999, the winner in Dallas has gone on to the BCS National Championship on 3 occasions, the Sooners in 2000 and 2004, and the Longhorns in 2005. "OU has higher stakes," added Romeo Palacios, a chemistry sophomore.

Texas coach Mack Brown had a little skip in his step at the rally, and said several times, "This is a big game."

The crowd was a rowdy one, and no one seemed to have a watch, because every time the emcees asked for the time the crowd yelled, "OU still sucks!"

"Yeah, Ohio State was nuts, but nothing compares to the Red River Rivalry," said chemistry sophomore Ryan Reyes.

Part of the rivalry's intensity lately comes with Texas and Oklahoma's record against the rest of the Big 12 South. Under coaches Bob Stoops and Mack Brown, the two teams are a combined 52-8 against the other four teams.

Just ask Aaron Ross, who asked the crowd, "Do you like OU?" The crowd responded with a convincing, "Hell No!"

The Red River Rivalry is intense, and legends are built and broken by it. The question is, where will you be when the next chapter in the legend is written?
Page 1 of 1

Article Tools

The Texan strives to present all information fairly, accurately and completely.
If we have made an error, let us know about it here, or email managingeditor@dailytexanonline.com.

Voice your opinion!

Let your voice be heard. Fill out your comments below.
Be sure to include your name, major, and classification. Submissions without this information are subject to deletion.
By clicking Post, you give The Daily Texan the right to publish your comments in any form, including online and in print in The Firing Line. Please limit your comments to 300 words. The Daily Texan reserves the right to edit all comments for brevity, clarity and liability.
You may also send Firing Lines to the editor at firingline@dailytexanonline.com

Be the first to comment on this story

• NOTE: Email address will not be published

Type your comment below (html not allowed)

I understand posting spam or other comments that are unrelated to this article will cause my comment to be flagged for deletion and possibly cause my IP address to be permanently banned from this server.

ADVERTISEMENTS

Austin Real Estate
Dresses Dresses
New Home Austin Texas
Dresses for Prom
Moroccan Furniture
Concert Tickets
$49 Prom Dresses Bridesmaid
Mortgage Refinancing

Prom Dresses
T-Shirts
Discount Shopping
Real Estate
Texas Longhorns Tickets
Generate traffic! Advertise on dailytexanonline.com

Copyright (c) 2006 The Daily Texan and Texas Student Publications. All Rights Reserved.
Advertising Rates | Around Campus | Back Issues | Contact Us
Submit a Firing Line | Submit Around Campus | Buy Photos
Advertising Supplements | Super Coupons
Texas Student Publications