Don't mess with hexes
Team, students take part in 21st annual Hex Rally

By Michelle West
  • Print
  • Email
  • Page 1 of 1
Defensive back Michael Griffin,  left, wide receiver Deon Beasley, center, and head coach Mack Brown, right, light the traditional red candles at the annual Texas A&M Hex Rally Monday night in front of the Tower.
Media Credit: Peter Franklin
Defensive back Michael Griffin, left, wide receiver Deon Beasley, center, and head coach Mack Brown, right, light the traditional red candles at the annual Texas A&M Hex Rally Monday night in front of the Tower.

Quarterback Colt McCoy motivates the crowd at the Hex Rally Monday on the Main Mall.
Media Credit: Peter Franklin

Mack Brown raises the hook 'em horns sign at the rally.
Media Credit: Peter Franklin

Longhorn spirit burned with the passion of hundreds of flames lit atop red candles as the Texas Exes sponsored the 21st annual Hex Rally at the foot of the Tower on Monday night.

The annual tradition began in 1941, when the Longhorns suffered an 18-year losing streak against rivals the Texas A&M University Aggies, said Texas Exes spokeswoman Alison Crocker. To break the curse, UT students sought the aid of local fortune-teller, Madame Hipple, who told them the cure was to burn red candles for one week before the game. That year, the Longhorns were able to break their losing streak with a 23-0 win.

"This is one of the great Texas traditions, so we felt we wanted to be part of it," said business freshman Damon Anderson, who attended the rally.

Hundreds of Longhorns cheered as football head coach Mack Brown bolstered the crowd in preparation for Friday's rivalry game.

"We have a great turnout tonight," Brown said. "It's probably the best that I've seen since I've been here."

Brown said that the team has not played its best game yet this year.

He was accompanied on the Tower steps by the entire Longhorn football team, including defensive end Tim Crowder and defensive tackle Tully Janszen, two members of what Brown called the most "winningest senior class" in the history of Texas football.

"We need y'all there early, and we need y'all yelling the whole time, 'cause it starts with y'all," Janzen said of the upcoming game. "It seeps through everyone else in the stadium, and it gets to us, and we're fired up."

Since its inception, there have been only two years in which the rally did not take place. In 1999, white instead of red candles were lit when the A&M bonfire collapsed, killing 12 students. In 2002, the rally was canceled in honor of Texas A&M football player Brandon Fails, who died from heart failure before game day.

But Monday night, hopes were high despite the Nov. 11 upset loss against Kansas State University.

In his final words, Brown described his own A&M hex.

"My hex would be that when the Aggies walk in Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium at about nine o'clock on Friday morning, that for that next five hours that the Longhorn spirit be the strongest spirit that it's ever been in that stadium, and that that spirit runs through this football team and [we] play the best game we've played all year," Brown said.

History sophomore Benjamin Davis said the Longhorns will emerge victorious this week.

"We're going to win this game, because it's tradition to beat A&M," he said.
Page 1 of 1

Article Tools

The Texan strives to present all information fairly, accurately and completely.
If we have made an error, let us know about it here, or email managingeditor@dailytexanonline.com.

Voice your opinion!

Let your voice be heard. Fill out your comments below.
Be sure to include your name, major, and classification. Submissions without this information are subject to deletion.
By clicking Post, you give The Daily Texan the right to publish your comments in any form, including online and in print in The Firing Line. Please limit your comments to 300 words. The Daily Texan reserves the right to edit all comments for brevity, clarity and liability.
You may also send Firing Lines to the editor at firingline@dailytexanonline.com

Viewing Comments 1 - 1 of 1

John

posted 11/21/06 @ 8:08 PM EST

It was not an 18-year losing streak - it was 18 years since the Longhorns had won AT Kyle Field.

See the Wikipedia article at:
http://en.wikipedia. (Continued…)

Post a Comment

• NOTE: Email address will not be published

Type your comment below (html not allowed)

I understand posting spam or other comments that are unrelated to this article will cause my comment to be flagged for deletion and possibly cause my IP address to be permanently banned from this server.

ADVERTISEMENTS

Austin Real Estate
Dresses Dresses
New Home Austin Texas
Dresses for Prom
Moroccan Furniture
Concert Tickets
$49 Prom Dresses Bridesmaid
Mortgage Refinancing

Prom Dresses
T-Shirts
Discount Shopping
Real Estate
Texas Longhorns Tickets
Generate traffic! Advertise on dailytexanonline.com

Copyright (c) 2006 The Daily Texan and Texas Student Publications. All Rights Reserved.
Advertising Rates | Around Campus | Back Issues | Contact Us
Submit a Firing Line | Submit Around Campus | Buy Photos
Advertising Supplements | Super Coupons
Texas Student Publications