Snead transfer made official

By William Wilkerson
  • Print
  • Email
  • Page 1 of 1
Jevan Snead runs for yardage against Kansas State while receiver Limas Sweed looks on. Snead reportedly is considering TCU, Houston and Louisville. Chris Brown and Greg Dolan also intend to transfer.
Media Credit: Jacqueline Walker | Daily Texan Staff

Freshman quarterback Jevan Snead confirmed that he intends to transfer, signing paperwork Friday that released him from his scholarship.

Sophomore defensive end Chris Brown and sophomore offensive tackle Greg Dolan also announced they are transferring in a statement released from the team on Friday night.

"All three guys told us they had a great experience, but they felt their best opportunity for more playing time was to transfer," Texas coach Mack Brown said. "That's totally understandable, and we appreciate everything they did for our program during their time here. We wish all three the best of luck in the future."

Snead played in eight games as the backup to Colt McCoy. He completed 26 of 49 passes for 371 yards with two touchdowns and two interceptions. He also rushed for a touchdown.

"I just think that for me to reach my goal of being a starting quarterback, I need to go somewhere else," Snead said. TCU, Houston and Louisville have all been rumored as possible choices for Snead.

McCoy Update

Without Snead, the Longhorns will have little depth under center for their bowl game. McCoy suffered a pinched nerve in his neck at the tail end of Texas' loss to Texas A&M.

Team trainer Kenny Boyd said McCoy is making "significant progress" in a statement released by the team.

"One thing we know about Colt is he'll work really hard and do everything in his power to get back," Boyd said.

McCoy's backup will likely be walk-on senior Matt McCoy, who has only seen limited playing time in blowout games. The only other scholarship quarterback on the roster is freshman Sherrod Harris, who is redshirting.

Receiver Quan Cosby could be thrust into the position. He was a second-team All-American selection by USA Today at quarterback in 2000 and a two-time 2A all-state pick at quarterback and defensive back. Receiver Billy Pittman also played quarterback in high school.

Other Big 12 set to go bowling

Even after losing consecutive games to Texas, the Oklahoma Sooners are still finding ways to outdo their biggest rivals.

At one point in the season, the Longhorns' berth in the Fiesta Bowl was almost taken for granted.

Now Bob Stoops and his boys are headed to Arizona for the BCS bowl, while Texas' bowl game will occur before the new year.

For the seniors, the bowl bid means they'll have played in each of the different BCS bowls during their time at Oklahoma.

"That's what I thought about, this would be the only one I haven't been to out of five years, four BCS games," quarterback Paul Thompson said. "So that's real big, and just a testament to this coaching staff and to this organization."

Oklahoma used a 21-7 triumph over Nebraska in the Big 12 championship to clinch their bowl bid. The Huskers, meanwhile, will be in Dallas for the Cotton Bowl.

Elsewhere in the Big 12, Texas A&M accepted a spot in the Holiday Bowl, meaning they'll play against the California Golden Bears in San Diego, Cali.

"The Holiday Bowl in San Diego provides a stiff challenge," A&M coach Dennis Franchione wrote on his web site. "Cal has been the second-best team in the Pac 10 over the last five years, and they have both the offensive and defensive players of the year in the conference."

Missouri will play Oregon State in the Brut Sun Bowl.

"We're very excited to be a part of the Brut Sun Bowl," Tigers coach Gary Pinkel said. "This game has a long-standing tradition of providing a great experience for the teams, and I can attest to that from personal experience since I've had a chance to play there twice before with Washington.

Kansas State rode their upset of the Longhorns into the Texas Bowl, where they'll face Rutgers, who was a defensive stand in overtime away from playing in a BCS bowl.

It was also announced Sunday that Texas Tech accepted a bid to the Insight Bowl where they'll encounter Minnesota, and that Oklahoma State will be facing Alabama in the PetroSun Independence Bowl.

Aggies apologize for late hit

Kellen Heard's late hit on Colt McCoy as the quarterback was walking off the field following an interception late in the Longhorn's 12-7 loss to the Aggies drew outrage from the crowd.

A&M's head coach apologized in a letter to Brown that he later posted on his web site.

"We regret and apologize for the late hit on Colt by Kellen Heard," Franchione's note says. "We do not teach this type of play or condone it. After meeting with Kellen, I know he feels badly that this happened, and he expressed that he did not want to display malicious intent.

"We will handle this situation as a coaching staff with consequences for the action. Kellen is in complete agreement and said that he wants Colt to know that he certainly regrets it and he apologizes for the incident."

The Holiday Bowl-bound Aggies won't say how Heard is to be disciplined.

"Kellen and his teammates know this will not be dealt with lightly, and that's enough for the public to know, too," Franchione wrote on his website.
Page 1 of 1

Article Tools

The Texan strives to present all information fairly, accurately and completely.
If we have made an error, let us know about it here, or email managingeditor@dailytexanonline.com.

Voice your opinion!

Let your voice be heard. Fill out your comments below.
Be sure to include your name, major, and classification. Submissions without this information are subject to deletion.
By clicking Post, you give The Daily Texan the right to publish your comments in any form, including online and in print in The Firing Line. Please limit your comments to 300 words. The Daily Texan reserves the right to edit all comments for brevity, clarity and liability.
You may also send Firing Lines to the editor at firingline@dailytexanonline.com

Be the first to comment on this story

• NOTE: Email address will not be published

Type your comment below (html not allowed)

I understand posting spam or other comments that are unrelated to this article will cause my comment to be flagged for deletion and possibly cause my IP address to be permanently banned from this server.

ADVERTISEMENTS

Austin Real Estate
Dresses Dresses
New Home Austin Texas
Dresses for Prom
Moroccan Furniture
Concert Tickets
$49 Prom Dresses Bridesmaid
Mortgage Refinancing

Prom Dresses
T-Shirts
Discount Shopping
Real Estate
Texas Longhorns Tickets
Generate traffic! Advertise on dailytexanonline.com

Copyright (c) 2006 The Daily Texan and Texas Student Publications. All Rights Reserved.
Advertising Rates | Around Campus | Back Issues | Contact Us
Submit a Firing Line | Submit Around Campus | Buy Photos
Advertising Supplements | Super Coupons
Texas Student Publications