Brian's dynamic career spans more than thirty years, during which time he has witnessed and addressed a myriad of human/animal relationships - from the tragic to the sublime. Time and again, Brian Kilcommons has proven to be an articulate spokesman in the fields of animal behavior and training. His high profile, engaging on-stage presence, excellent communication skills and sheer exuberance about all things connected with pets and pet ownership are qualities eagerly sought by the corporate world in the marketing of their pet products and services.
Brian has shared his expertise by lecturing at
- Tufts Animal Expos,
- Cornell School of Veterinary Medicine,
- Ohio State Veterinary Conference,
- Western Veterinary Conference,
- North American Veterinary Conference,
- Pennsylvania Veterinary Medical Association
- .... to name a few
Brian and Sarah have recently been awarded the Dr Steve Kritsick Memorial Award from the NY State Veterinary Medical Society for their impact on animals in the media.
Brian Kilcommons is the only North American to have studied with the legendary dog trainer Barbara Woodhouse of Great Britain. From mentor to friend, Barbara Woodhouse left an indelible impression upon Brian; one that brought heightened awareness to the importance of fair training techniques, great patience, and an understanding of the world from the pet's point of view.
From mountain tops of Italy to yachts of Nassau, from rambling homes in Palm Beach to the townhouses of the world's elite, Brian’s clients include such famous names as Harrison Ford, Diana Ross, Ashley Judd, Geoffrey Beene, Morley Safer, Marvin Hamlisch, Linda Dano, Elsa Peretti, Diane Sawyer, Carley Simon, Patrick Ewing, Mike Nichols, Scavullo, Candice Bergen, and Ralph Lauren.
Brian has been featured on 20/20, CBS This Morning, Good Morning America, QVC, HGTV, The Oprah Winfrey Show, A&E "Dogs", The Today Show, ABC Weekend News, CNN (global), Prime Time Live, The Wall Street Journal Report, PBS Gentle Doctor: Veterinary Medicine, and he hosted FNC Pet News. He has also served as the CBS Morning News Investigative Reporter and Animal Expert on WABC Eyewitness News, Channel 7.
Brian's articles have appeared in Redbook, Town & Country, Atlanta Constitution Journal, People, Miami Herald, Toronto Star, Boston Globe, USA Today, San Francisco Chronicle, Vancouver Sun, Time, Philadelphia Inquirer, NY Times, Newsday, St. Louis Post Dispatch, LA Times, Chicago Tribune, Glamour, Dogs In Canada, Mc Calls, Palm Beach Daily News, Dog World, Dog Fancy, Seventeen, In Style Magazine, Woman's Wear Daily, Time Magazine. Brian and Sarah are the pet contributors to Parade Magazine and have been nominated twice for the prestigious Genesis Award.
- Brian is Director of Training for Animal Care & Control of NYC.
- He also served as the Executive Director of the Walter Turken Training for Adoption Program;
- Editorial Advisor and Host to Mag Rack’s Celebrating Dogs;
- Past member of the faculty of Tufts University School of Veterinary Medicine for over a decade;
- On the Editorial Board of CATNIP Tufts University School of Veterinary Medicine, Feline Newsletter;
- Director of Training for Invisible Fence Co.;
- National Spokesman for Pets Are Wonderful Council (PAW);
- Official Trainer for The Gentle Doctor: Veterinary Medicine, a PBS syndicated series 1989-1992;
- Behavior & Training Coordinator for the ASPCA;
- Director of Training for Bide-A-Wee Home Association;
- Co-Founder & President of the Society of New York Dog Trainers;
- Pet Parent Advisory Board for Ralston Purina;
- On the Men's Committee, New York Zoological Society;
- Vice Chairman, Holy Land Conservation Fund for the Reintroduction of the Asiatic Lion to Israel.
Brian has co-authored numerous books with his wife and partner, Sarah Wilson including:
Your Dog: An Owners Manual;
Good Owners, Great Dogs;
Childproofing Your Dog;
Good Owners, Great Cats;
Mutts: Americas Dogs;
Tails From the Bark Side;
Paws to Consider: The Complete Guide to Selecting A Breed;
Metro Dogs: Raising a dog in the city
and just released…
Currently, Brian and Sarah are celebrating their first “MY SMART PUPPY”- Book/DVD combination … a complete “how to” training manual addressing preventable and correctable puppy behavior. Warner publications will be releasing the companion book “My Smart Puppy” in the fall of 2006.
Brian and Sarah reside in NH with their four dogs, two horses, one pony and wonderful cat named Ben.