Chemicals and Fertilizers Limited (MCF), with a turnover of over
Rs.1000 crore, is the only manufacturer of chemical fertilizers in
the state of Karnataka. The factory is strategically located at
Panambur, 9 kms north of Mangalore City, on the banks of the Gurpur
River, in front of the New Mangalore Port. The plant is well
connected, both by rail and road. The West Coast National Highway
(NH-l7) from Kochi to Mumbai separates MCF from the New Mangalore
The Company is a part of the
UB Group with Group shareholding of 30%. The Government of Karnataka
(through its agencies), Financial Institutions and Banks own 21%.
Dr. Vijay Mallya is the Chairman of the Board of Directors. The
operations are managed by a team of highly dedicated and experienced
With an investment of over
Crores, the Company is the only large scale fertilizer project in
the State of Karnataka.
The New Mangalore Port is an
all-weather port capable of handling ships up to 30 feet draft.
Naphtha, the main raw material for the plant, is obtained through
the port. The plant site is well linked, both by railway lines and
The Company has capacity to
manufacture 2,17,800 MT of ammonia and 3,80,000 MT of urea annually.
The design and engineering of the plant was done by Humphreys &
Glasgow Limited, London, a leading international firm in the
fertilizer field and their associates, Humphreys & Glasgow
Consultants Pvt. Ltd., Bombay. The construction work started with
the first pile driven on October 15, 1972 by the then Chief
Minister, Shri D. Devaraj Urs.
The plant was commissioned on
March 15, 1976.