TaleWorlds Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
October 12, 2007, 12:44:21 am

News:   Version .893 released  (Oct. 11, 2007)
Latest release of M&B:   0.893  (Oct. 11, 2007)
Latest mod release:   Fantasy mod 0.8.1  (Sept. 2, 2007)
Search:     Advanced search
+  TaleWorlds Forum
|-+  Module Development
| |-+  The Forge - Mod Development
| | |-+  All about 3d-modeling, Chapter 1 : basic modeling
« previous topic next topic »    ↓↓
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19       Next      Jump to page:  Print 
Author Topic: All about 3d-modeling, Chapter 1 : basic modeling  (Read 12628 times)

Highelf
Iyum Farer
Grandmaster Knight

View Profile
All about 3d-modeling, Chapter 1 : basic modeling  « on: April 22, 2006, 01:34:47 pm »  

UPDATE!

Check out my video tutorial series! They should be much easier than following a written tutorial!

http://forums.taleworlds.net/index.php/topic,24463.msg589329.html#msg589329

If you feel these things are to easy for you, you can check out the next chapter, -advanced modeling tutorial

Basic modeling tutorial.
Includes weapon, helmet and armor tutorial.

Tri count list.

First of, for people who are already fairly good moddelers..

I've made a list with different moddeling types and the ammount of triangles you should aim for in order to not overload M&B.
These are just set by me, so if you cross the limits that will not crash the game or something.

Normal helmet : ~500
Full faced helmet : ~800/1000

A body armor : ~1000

A sword : ~250
Special/Detailed sword : ~400
Small axe : ~300
Two handed axe : ~400
Two bladed axe : ~500
Lance :  ~150/250
Spear : ~200/300

Shield : ~400/500

Bow : ~100/200
Crossbow : ~300/400

Interior scene : ~1000
Detailed scenery : <2000
Medium scenery : ~700/800
Small scenery : ~250
Tiny scenery : ~100/200

Introduction.

I thought why not make a simple moddeling tutorial.

So here it is. I've tried to make it as simple as possible, yet resourcefull and understanable.
First of all, I copied this small piece from Yoshiboy's tutorial. (I hope you don't mind.)

Wings 3d is a free modelling program, it can be aquired on wings3d.com.
Lets give a run down on the camera, as people seem to have trouble.
Press down the middle mouse button to go into tumble mod. Scroll the middle mouse to zoom in and out. While in tumble mode, press Q to switch to pan mode. With a selection, press the A key to center your view on the selection, this one is increadibly useful. Space is the shortcut for deselect all. Not related to the camera, but still hugely useful.

If you have two mouse buttons, not 3 then go "edit > preferences" Select the camera tab and change the number of mouse button to two. When in this mode holding ctrl and pressing the right mouse button will put you into tumble mode, and while in this you can zoom by holding down the right mouse key and pulling the mouse back and forward.

Sword tutorial

Okay first of I’ll show how to make a very simple sword/weapon

Let's start, shall we?

Open up wings3d. Get a something to drink and relax. Razz
Right. Now that's done, we can start for real.

1. Start by getting two cubes. Right click on the grey area and click on cube.
2. Move that one cube abit so the next cube doesn't overlap it. You move, by selecting the cube (drag a box to select the whole thing) and right click>move>move on X-axis.
3. Now get your second cube. Deselect the first cube by pressing the space bar and redo step one.

Picture :

Now let's scale the cubes, because you probably don't want to have such a square and huge blade, now do you?
Select a cube then right click>scale>Y,X or Z.

Try it abit untill you get what you want from shape.

Picture :

So now we need to add some detail , the best way to do this is to cut some edges.
First go into edge mode. (as I’ll show in the pic)
Then right click>cut, then select in how many pieces you want to cut the edge(s)
So I've cut my blade in 5 pieces meaning there will be 5 new sets of verticies you can move.
Now that you have more vertecies to move, you can add more detail.

After cutting edges there will be some new verticies, these vertecies have to be conected with and edge, a vertex that is not connect with an edge is never good, to do this just go in vertex mode, select the vertecies you want to connect , and hit “C” , then (a) new edge(s) will popup between the vertecies.

Pic ture:

Now you can start manipulating the vertecies to add more detail.
If you want more detail just cut more edges, and don't forget to connect the vertecies.

Picture :

Of course don't exagerrate. The more you cut&connect, the more polygons you create.
For good poly counts, check the first part of this tutorial.

Anyway, after playing with those cubes I got this, Its real easy.

If you can't get something like that, just practise more. Spend time in wings3d, use some of the above guidlines and also try and challenge yourself into making harder things.

If you have questions, just post them here.

This is Yoshiboy's tutorial if you want to get it ingame.

http://forums.taleworlds.net/index.php/topic,6146.0.html

Basic helmet tutorial.

1. Get a cube in wings3d (I prefer cubes but anything else works too.)

2. Cut it along side some edges as explained in the sword tutorial.

3.Now cut the cube in half before manipulating it.

Now we got everything set up we can …

4. Start manipulating the new connected vertecies so you get something you desire.

Move the front verticies to get a snout ..move the top to get a round head like shape..
Experiment ..try ..But dont forget you just modeling half of it..wich will late be mirrored.

So after moving vertecies and manipulating that cube I cranked this up in several minutes.

Some advanced things you might want to use:
Extrude. : Go into face mode ,select what face(s) you wan't too extrude,and right click and choose extrude .
you’ll see what it does.

Inset: in face mode sellect the face(s) ,right click and select inset, this is a usefull option if you want to add a height difference to a face without moving the ones around it, you’ll understand when you try it.

Bridge: when you have 2 objects and you want to connect them, select 2 faces you want to stick togheter. (make sure they have same vertex count since the vertecies stick togheter)
Then click bridge in face mode and they should ‘melt’ togheter

And finaly Mirror.
With a pic i’ll show what you have to do and what not.
What you should do.

Right way:

WRONG way.

Again questions are welcome.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Skinning/rigging an armor

Ok the tutorial you’ve al been waiting for.
 ARMOR and SKINNING  tutorial

Note: this tutorial is a litle more advanced so if you dont know how to make a helmet and /or weapon I suggest you look at the tutorials above
At first it will look crazy, but once you did the process once you’ll get used to it..
Its alot to explain but accualy its simple

Ok first off
You’ll need 3dsmax ( www.autodesk.com ) or milkshape (http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/) you can have a 30 day trial of both.
In my tutorial i’ll use 3dsmax..
 You’ll need one of those programs if you want to create a funcional armor

Lets get started shall we..

First what i do is make a model (duh)

In brfedit i export the trauser model and the shirt model…
So basicly download the brfeditor, start it, click open , search for Mount&Blade\CommonRes\item_meshes_1.brf

Then you’ll see alot of meshes poping up, choose some similar armors to your idea that you’ll make
 depending on the kind of armor you want to make , so export the one(s) you need

In my case its’ trauser_hide’
And ‘armor_backbreast ‘

So I export those in OBJ format…

Then I import both files into wings3d

So it should look like that

Now you have 2 objects , the pants and the body
For modeling purpose it should be 1 object ..so how do we do that..
First , look for the face in the body’s stomach underneatht the model , delete those edges..
Then select the 2 big faces  1 under the body and 1 on the pants
 (if your using the trouser its the bleu one.) then right click and click bridge, you’ll see what happens

Now its sticked togheter, now you can model it as you like..

Mine looks like this

I added those ‘wings’ for a reason wich I will explain later..

Now when your ready modeling ,and maybe UVing your model
You can go ahead and export it as an OBJ file

Now open 3dsmax .
Import your OBJ armor

And import a M&B armor in SMD format

-to do this : again in brf editor choose a armor ,example black armor, then export it as a  SMD file (the armor and the mounts are not in OBj format but in SMD format)

So how to import and export SMD into  Gmax…
You’ll need plugins 
(plugins are sort of scripts that alow the program to export/import in more formats )
Due to the great Thogrim we can have unlimited free Skinning/rigging. no more 30 trials is required.

Gmax is a sligthly simplified version of 3dsmax, and it is FREE. SMD importers and exporters have been made wich makes milkshape and 3dsmax unimportant.
The tutorial still is with 3dsmax, but Gmax is pretty much the same.

Here you can download Gmax (the green button in upper right corner)

Here you can find the SMD importer
and Here you can find the SMD exporter

For a OBJ importer go here Its the last .MS file

Put the downloaded  files in
 C:\Program Files\Gmax\Scripts

Then in Gmax go to the hammer( icon shown in pic)  click ‘maxscript’
 and then click  ‘Run script’
Run  the import SMD script and the export SMD script
After you’ve run them, You’ll see 2 new htings in the Utilities dropdown
Click the import one
Then click import SMD
Search the armor from the brf (example black armor)

So now you’ll see the big SMD file and your OBj armor should be rather small and rotated wrong , now you should adjust your armor position to fit the M&b armor  (move,rotate and scale button is shown in the pic)

Once you scaled you model you should set up your material..
Press the  ‘M’ button on your keyboard..now a window should pop up ,Look for a button called standard and click it
Now in the new window search for a button called ‘scene’ ..Now in the white box there should be 2 things ,
 a Default material
and a multi/sub object  material..
 doubel click the mulit/sub material..
click ok and then click discard old material then agaun Ok

Now the standard button should have changed too Multi/sub object
Click and drag that button to your armor mesh , if it changes fomr light grey to dark grey everything is ok

Now
you can delete the imported mesh ONLY the mesh ,Dont delete the bleu stick things Razz those are bones ,needed for anymation and skinning
and dont delete your mesh either (duh)

So this is what it look like

Now open the drop down menu (modifier list) and search for ‘Skin’

Click that , then you’ll see skin in the white box , click the +
Click envelope
Now click Edit envelope

Now above the bigger empty white box (under the edit envelopes button)
There should be a add button , click that
Now you’ll see all the names of the bones (ie. 1,2,3…19)
Select them all and click select
Now the bones should popup in the white box (under ‘add’ button)

Now if you have a very simply shaped armor you’re done.
You can export it , using the same way as importing .
(pick object = just click the model)

But if you have some wierd stuff aka. The Wings i modeled in
You’ll have to do something special…

Right under the ‘ edit envelopes ‘ button there should be a checkbox named vertecies
Check it.

Now you should choose the bone you want to add the extra thing to..
You can scroll throught htem by clicking in the white box

In my case i’ll use the bone named ‘8’
So now i can select the vertecies i want to add to the bone, just drag a box..
(drag+ ctrl = add selection, alt+drag= deselect)
Work precise , add your extra things (in my case wings)
And dont forget to add the vertecies the bone was intended to

Now scroll down the modifier (shown in pic)
And check rigid (im not sure if you have to but its better too )
After you’ve ticked it , in the thing above it (Abs.effect)
Tick 1 and hit enter

Now everythign you selected should turn red
Congrats you now weighted the vertecies to the bone
Now you can export as SMD..

with 3dsmax it just export and it should work..
if you're using Gmax , follow these steps

Wow…. That was a long tutorial…I hope I helped some people with this..
It was a pain in the ass to write …

Questions are welcome..

BTW if you want to do a new mount its pretty much the same, only a diffferent skeleton
(make sure your smd from m&b is a horse example a hunter instead of a black armor)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 03:43:29 am by Highelf » Logged

Dago
Recruit

View Profile
Re: Manipulating models, Sword , & helmets tutorial  « Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 02:15:00 pm »  

Great! I`m looking forward to the helmet and texturing tut. I messed around a bit with some very very simple helmets so im not a complete noob in this matter, i could use a tut for more advanced stuff like roman helmets and such though.
Yoshiboy
Sea-lubber
Grandmaster Knight

- Everything is a metaphor -

View Profile WWW
Re: Manipulating models, Sword , & helmets tutorial  « Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 02:25:31 pm »  

You have permission to include or link to any of my stuff Smile

RanGer_SLO
Squire

View Profile
Re: Manipulating models, Sword , & helmets tutorial  « Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 05:59:06 pm »  

weary good mate

maybe you could do vertex veighting tut next, no one else has done it yet. After that there will be a boom of new rideable creatures and armors on the forum, like that time when someone released the sword making tut  Laughing

WARGS  Laughing Laughing
« Last Edit: April 22, 2006, 06:04:26 pm by RanGer_SLO » Logged

Gerec
Knight

View Profile WWW
Re: Manipulating models, Sword , & helmets tutorial  « Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 09:07:45 pm »  

I'm having a huge problem that's fu**ing up all my modeling. Firstly, I did something really stupid... being used to using 2d image manipulation programs as about the only thing I used before modeling, I had this great model that I accidentily saved as a .jpg. Then I closed wings. Needless to say, I lost it... I feel like a retard :p However, I'm fine with remaking it, but I keep getting this REALLY weird problem. I'm moving a few vertices around and then suddenly all the connections and points seem to switch around and things suddenly connect to other vertices for no apparent reason, and it looks really weird.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/Derf/problems.jpg

Notice how like all the points seem to be going to that bottom right one?  A moment before, they were all fine. Then I moved the points selected here (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/Derf/problems2.jpg) and they get all messed up like shown. I have no idea whats up but I can't continue this model like this.

BTW, here's some shots of the nice thing I had before I accidentily saved it incorrectly :p

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/Derf/stormer9.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/Derf/stormer8.jpg

It's a mandalorian vehicle model for a star wars mod my friend is making for a game. It's supposed to be really overkill Very Happy The funky texturing is just so I can distinguish parts.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2006, 10:34:47 pm by Gerec » Logged

Highelf
Iyum Farer
Grandmaster Knight

View Profile
Re: Manipulating models, Sword , & helmets tutorial  « Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 10:24:18 pm »  

I'm having a huge problem that's fu**ing up all my modeling. Firstly, I did something really stupid... being used to using 2d image manipulation programs as about the only thing I used before modeling, I had this great model that I accidentily saved as a .jpg. Then I closed wings. Needless to say, I lost it... I feel like a retard :p However, I'm fine with remaking it, but I keep getting this REALLY weird problem. I'm moving a few vertices around and then suddenly all the connections and points seem to switch around and things suddenly connect to other vertices for no apparent reason, and it looks really weird.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v460/Derf/?action=view&current=problems.jpg

Notice how like all the points seem to be going to that bottom right one?  A moment before, they were all fine. Then I moved the points selected here (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/Derf/problems2.jpg) and they get all messed up like shown. I have no idea whats up but I can't continue this model like this.

BTW, here's some shots of the nice thing I had before I accidentily saved it incorrectly :p

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/Derf/stormer9.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/Derf/stormer8.jpg

It's a mandalorian vehicle model for a star wars mod my friend is making for a game. It's supposed to be really overkill Very Happy The funky texturing is just so I can distinguish parts.
I really dont know whats making that happen..Its very wierd..
the other models look fine so it cant be something you did wrong, try reinstalling wings3d
weary good mate

maybe you could do vertex veighting tut next, no one else has done it yet. After that there will be a boom of new rideable creatures and armors on the forum, like that time when someone released the sword making tut 

WARGS   

I was planning on that. But its not for now.. maybe this week, but then again maybe in 2 or 3  weeks Mr. Green
« Last Edit: April 22, 2006, 11:21:21 pm by Highelfwarrior » Logged

Gerec
Knight

View Profile WWW
Re: Manipulating models, Sword , & helmets tutorial  « Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 10:33:49 pm »  

Reinstalled and same exact thing. It's really getting annoying.

Highelf
Iyum Farer
Grandmaster Knight

View Profile
Re: Manipulating models, Sword , & helmets tutorial  « Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 11:35:31 pm »  

I'm really sorry i never had that error, maybe yoshiboy knows more..try asking him

I edited in the second -helmet tutorial.
its real simple but think it should prove to help some people

Btw: sorry dago, the tut was meant for some very simple stuff , no advanced roman helmet tut
« Last Edit: April 22, 2006, 11:37:11 pm by Highelfwarrior » Logged

Janus
Call me Hugh
Administrator

View Profile WWW
Re: Manipulating models, Sword , & helmets tutorial  « Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006, 01:21:52 am »  

It looks like you had that as a single edge, split it into 3 vertexes (making 2 edges), and further divided each of the 2 edges into 3 further ones. So, when you move these vertexes around in 3D, Wings can no longer draw the surfaces properly since the vertexes don't connect in a way that can form proper flat polygons.
Simple fix, go into vertex mode and start connecting those extra vertexes you have to some of the others across from them. As soon as each proper polygon is formed, that part of the model will look right again.

Of course, that's coming from my short stint into modelling with Wings, so I could be wrong.
Gerec
Knight

View Profile WWW
Re: Manipulating models, Sword , & helmets tutorial  « Reply #9 on: April 23, 2006, 01:55:30 am »  

For some reason, triangulation fixes my problem so I'm working with that now.  Neutral

Janus
Call me Hugh
Administrator

View Profile WWW
Re: Manipulating models, Sword , & helmets tutorial  « Reply #10 on: April 23, 2006, 01:59:20 am »  

For some reason, triangulation fixes my problem so I'm working with that now.  Neutral
It fixes your problem because it creates proper flat polygons; thankfully it was able to. Triangulation could have caused some strange connections too though. You could also have fixed it by connecting vertexes like I mentioned, and been sure everything was connected in a visually appealing way.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 02:00:52 am by Janus » Logged
Gerec
Knight

View Profile WWW
Re: Manipulating models, Sword , & helmets tutorial  « Reply #11 on: April 23, 2006, 02:19:55 am »  

I understand how to model well enough, but WHY things happen I still need to learn a bit about :p Thanks for the tips Janus.

Janus
Call me Hugh
Administrator

View Profile WWW
Re: Manipulating models, Sword , & helmets tutorial  « Reply #12 on: April 23, 2006, 02:38:25 am »  

Think of it like an M.C. Escher painting, where things are connected in a physically impossible way.
Any polygon with over 3 vertexes can have the vertexes moved in a way that no longer makes a flat plane, which is impossible for Wings or any other modelling program to render without subdividing it into more than one polygon.
PabloGucci
Recruit

View Profile
Re: Manipulating models, Sword , & helmets tutorial  « Reply #13 on: April 23, 2006, 03:09:25 am »  

Very nice tutorial! I tried it but my sword didnt turn out too well... Confused

The hilt is a pain in the butt to make. With a little more work, my sword might look better Smile

Yoshiboy
Sea-lubber
Grandmaster Knight

- Everything is a metaphor -

View Profile WWW
Re: Manipulating models, Sword , & helmets tutorial  « Reply #14 on: April 23, 2006, 05:15:54 am »  

i think janus said it for me. Imagine a face with more than 5 verts on it. Move one of those verts up and down away from the face. You now how an impossible face, which the modelling program is telling the computer is flat. Your graphics card doesnt really know how to show this face...because its impossibly flat, and depending on your graphics card, can sometimes mess it up.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19       Next      Jump to page:  Print  
+  TaleWorlds Forum
|-+  Module Development
| |-+  The Forge - Mod Development
| | |-+  All about 3d-modeling, Chapter 1 : basic modeling

« previous topic next topic »    ↑↑

Jump to:  

TaleWorlds Forum | Powered by SMF 1.1.4 - SMF © 2006-2007, Simple Machines LLC