Oregon College of Art & Craft
Oregon College of Art and Craft
8245 SW Barnes Road
Portland, OR 97225
503.297.5544 or 800.390.0632
History

Oregon College of Art & Craft traces its origins to 1907 when Julia Hoffman founded the Arts and Crafts Society to educate the public on the value of arts and crafts in daily life. Through art classes, visiting artists, lectures, and exhibitions, the best educators and artwork of American craft were brought to Portland.

Today Oregon College of Art & Craft is a private, accredited independent craft college offeringstudio classes in Book Arts, Ceramics, Drawing/Painting, Fibers, Metal, Photography and Wood. Students can pursue a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree, a Certificate in Crafts, a Post-baccalaureate Certificate in Crafts, or enroll in the College's Extension Program of classes for adults and children.

Historical Timeline

1907

The School is founded as the Arts and Crafts Society by Julia Hoffman, photographer, painter, sculptor, metal worker and weaver, out of her desire to foster the Arts and Crafts movement through classes and exhibitions. The first classes were held in member's homes.

1934

The Kramer Building in downtown Portland becomes the School's first permanent site. Founder Julia Hoffman dies at the age of 78.

1936

Margery Hoffman Smith, daughter of Julia Hoffman and Assistant State Director of the Federal Arts Program, coordinates the interior design of Timberline Lodge. Hoffman Smith oversees the lodge's architectural details and furnishings.

1952

The Arts and Crafts Society merges with Allied Art and the Metal Guild and moves to a large home in Northwest Portland.

1962

A former hospital building in Northwest Portland is purchased and converted into studios and classrooms to accommodate the School's growth. Hoffman Gallery is dedicated, fulfilling Julia Hoffman's dream of a permanent exhibition space for crafts.

1978

The School's name is changed to Oregon School of Arts and Crafts and a capital campaign for a new campus is begun with the donation of a 7.2 acre filbert orchard by Howard Vollum, one of the founders of Tektronix Corporation, and his wife Jean. Margery Hoffman Smith provides the initial donation for a building fund. The Murdock Charitable Trust awards a $300,000 grant to the institution which helps secure a challenge grant from the National Endowment for the Arts to construct the $1.5 million campus.

1979

The School moves from its Northwest Portland building to the present site on Barnes Road. The nine buildings, designed by architect John Storrs, were planned for beauty as well as function. The state of the art facilities include custom details created by regional artists such as stained glass windows, hand made ceramic tiles and one-of-a-kind wrought iron work.

1986

Oregon School of Arts and Crafts Hoffman Gallery and seven other Portland galleries- Jamison-Thomas, Augen, Lawrence, Laura Russo, Blackfish and Elizabeth Leach- joined together in a cooperative effort to found Portland's "First Thursday" monthly gallery walk. "First Thursday" fast became a Portland event, with local restaurants and businesses, and throngs of gallery goers participating in the evening on the first Thursday of each month.

1987

The School receives an endowment of $4 million from the estate of Howard Vollum. A foundation to oversee the endowment is established with its own Board of Trustees and by-laws.

1988

A three-year, studio-based Certificate Program of college-level classes which runs in conjunction with the popular Open Program of individual classes is inaugurated.

1989

The National Association of School of Art and Design grants accreditation and Oregon School of Arts and Crafts becomes an independent accredited crafts school.

1991

The School holds commencement exercises for its first graduating class.

1994

OSAC becomes a degree-granting college with the inauguration of a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Crafts degree.

1995

The college acquires The Schoolhouse property, including the former Korean Society building on the corner of Barnes and Leahy Roads. The institution also receives a grant from Meyer Memorial Trust for $190,000. This is the largest foundation grant since the College's building campaign in the late 70s. Along with campus renovation projects, funds from the Meyer grant are used to design a campus master plan to guide the College's campus expansion.

1996

To reflect the institution's identity as a degree-granting college, on July 1, Oregon School of Arts and Crafts became Oregon College of Art & Craft.

1997

OCAC celebrates 90 years of education in art and craft and is given an award of distinction from the American Craft Council.

1998

Art Adventures, The Jordan & Mina Schnitzer Foundation for the Developing Artists, OCAC’s kids’ camp, teen workshops and family arts programming begins its first year.

1999
The Open Program of continuing educations courses and workshops is renamed Studio School.

2002

Oregon College of Art & Craft was awarded two substantial grants to update campus technology. The College received a $225,000 grant from the James F. and Marion L. Miller Foundation to fund the wiring and networking of the College's entire campus, and allowing the College to purchase and install data communications hardware and wiring, computer hardware and software, and service and support for the new technology. A $187,300 grant from the M.J. Murdock Charitable Trust funded an upgrade of the student computer lab and the installation of software tools that will require their proficiency in their chosen vocations as working artists.

2003

Oregon College of Art & Craft adds the Artisanry Studies Certificate program to its current curriculum. The new Artisanry Program, the only program of its kind offered by an accredited craft college in the entire nation, is a two-year program designed for students interested in a structured, focused and short term educational experience leading to the development of a professional trade in crafts.

2005

Oregon College of Art & Craft collaborates with The Museum at Warm Springs and Kah-nee-tah High Desert Resort & Casino to create Journeys in Creativity, a creative cultural teen program that introduces both Warm Springs and Portland area youths to the richness of Native American art and tradition through visual art workshops, field trips, and live performances.

2006

The College receives candidacy for accreditation by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCO).

2007

The College celebrates its 100th year of existence.