Lieutenant Bligh took up land in this area in 1860 and called it Caroora. For a couple of years after the railway line was built the rail stop was called Cooroora siding. The nearby mountain is still called Cooroora Mountain. The railway and postal authorities found it confusing having Cooran, Cooroora and Cooroy so close together, so the Railway Department changed the name to Pinbarren Siding. This lasted until 1906 when the Pinbarren Progress Association was invited to suggest a new name and they chose Pomona. Pomona was the Roman goddess of fruit and fruit trees. This name was being promoted well before it was officially adopted. The Under Secretary for Lands used it as far back as 6 March, 1900.
A retired officer who had served with the British army in India called his property Poona after the colonial resort area in India.
The most northerly point on Macleay Island is named after an early island settler by the name of Potts, but to many boating enthusiasts it is known as Patts Point.
The name was given to this area on the Granite Belt when land was opened up for soldier settlement in 1918. The name was transplanted from northern France where it had become well known to many Australian soldiers as a battleground during the First World War.
The settlement was known as Darkey Flat until it was surveyed and proclaimed as the centre for the short-lived Talgai goldfield with the name of Pratten. The survey work was done by G. L. Pratten and the name most likely commemorates his father, Thomas Pratten, who had settled in the area.
As the name would suggest, this area was settled by German
farmers, some of whom came from Prenzlau, north-east of Berlin.
There are a couple of different explanations given for the origin of this name. One suggests that it was named after a Catholic priest, Father Enright, who while on his way to visit some of his parishioners became lost in the area which came to be called Priest Gully. The other is that it was named after a timber-getter by the name of Priest.
Aboriginal word for bottle tree. It was the name of a grazing property before it became the name of a town.
Pullenvale gained its name from Pullen Pullen Creek, of Aboriginal origin.
Matthew Flinders did not realize that what we now call Bribie Island was an island. On 16 July, 1799, he proceeded up the opening which he called a river, leading towards the Glass House Peaks and found a quantity of pumicestone lying along the highwater mark on the eastern shore of the 'river', but was not able to proceed further upstream because of the rush of water with the ebb tide.
He called the passage Pumice Stone River because of this find.
Comes from an Aboriginal word meaning meeting place.
The 18-year-old Victoria came to the English throne at a time when the future of the convict settlement at Moreton Bay was under question (1837) and when the possibility of free settlement was being advocated. By the time the colony was separated from New South Wales (1859), Queen Victoria and Albert, her Prince Consort, were held in high regard and affection by her subjects around the world. In spite of John Dunmore Lang's advocacy of Cooksland as the name for the new colony, patriotic fervour won out and Queensland in honour of Queen Victoria it became.
The Daly Brothers (James, Patrick and John, sons of John Daly of
Brymaroo) took up land here and named the creek, and the township surveyed in 1897,
Quinalow after a small town in Ireland.