Generally, you can ensure you have unique and targeted content for your audience. Here are a few tips that can help your page be found by a focused search on the Internet:
- Think carefully of the key terms that your users will search on to find content like yours. Use those terms to guide the text and construction of your page.
- Users are more likely to click a link if the title matches their search. Choose terms for the title that match the concept of your document.
- Use a "description" meta-tag and write your description accurately and carefully. After the title, the description is the most important draw for users. Make sure the document title and description attract the interest of the user but also fit the content on your site.
- Use a "keyword" meta-tag to list key words for the document. Use a distinct list of keywords that relate to the specific page on your site instead of using one broad set of keywords for every page.
- Keep relevant text and links in HTML. Placing them in graphics or image maps means search engines can't always search for the text, and the crawler can't follow links to your site's other pages. An HTML site map, with a link from your welcome page, can help make sure all your pages are crawled.
- Use ALT text for graphics. It's good page design to accommodate text browsers or visually impaired visitors, and it helps improve the text content of your page for search purposes.
- Correspond with webmasters and other content providers and build rich linkages between related pages.
Note: "Link farms" create links between unrelated pages for no reason except to increase page link counts. Using link farms violates Yahoo!'s Site Guidelines and does not improve your page ranking.
For more information on improving the quality of your web site and your site's search engine ranking, refer to the "Search Engine Optimization" category in the Yahoo! Directory. Sites like Webmaster World feature discussion forums that can offer pointers on web search. Unfortunately, we are not able to offer specific advice on the placement of any given site in web search results.
Please Note: The sites listed in Yahoo! Directory's Search Engine Optimization category are run by independent third parties, and are not owned or overseen by Yahoo!.