SN awards: A-Rod is player of the year
Comment 79 User comments

Posted: October 15, 2007
Sporting News

The ballots are in for Sporting News' 2007 baseball awards -- as voted on by 488 major league baseball players and 30 managers. Both managers of the year and the player of the year helped push their teams into the postseason, and a few of the All-Stars selected by their peers played into October, as well.

Player of the year

Alex Rodriguez, Yankees: The numbers Alex Rodriguez put up in the 2007 regular season are straight out of a video game: 54 home runs, 156 RBIs and 143 runs, all tops in the majors. He hit .314 and posted a career-best .422 on-base percentage. Even the one stat that declined significantly was a good thing: A-Rod's errors dropped from 24 in 2006 to 13 in '07. Here's one other A-Rod number: 72.3. That's the percent of major league players -- 353 out of the 488 who participated -- who voted for A-Rod as Sporting News player of the year.

AL manager of the year

Eric Wedge, Indians: Based on 14 A.L. managers' ballots, Wedge received six votes, two more than the Angels' Mike Scosia.

NL manager of the year

Bob Melvin, Diamondbacks: Based on the 16 N.L. managers' ballots, Melvin got six votes. The Phillies' Charlie Manuel received five.

Other AL awards

Rookie of the year: Dustin Pedroia, 2B, Red Sox: After hitting .182 in April, he hit .333 the rest of the way and supplied strong defense.

Comeback player of the year: Carlos Pena, 1B, Devil Rays: A year after hitting one homer in 33 big league at-bats, Pena swatted 46.

All-Stars:
C.C. Sabathia, P, Indians
Carlos Pena, 1B, Devil Rays
Placido Polanco, 2B, Tigers
Derek Jeter, SS, Yankees
Alex Rodriguez, 3B, Yankees
Jorge Posada, C, Yankees
Magglio Ordonez, OF, Tigers
Ichiro Suzuki, OF, Mariners
Vladimir Guerrero, OF, Angels
David Ortiz, DH, Red Sox
*Joe Borowski, RP, Indians

Other NL awards

Rookie of the year: Ryan Braun, 3B, Brewers: He hit 34 homers and drove in 97 runs -- and batted .324 -- in roughly four months.

Comeback player of the year: Dmitri Young, 1B, Nationals: A season after he was released, Young finished eighth in the N.L. batting race.

All-Stars:
Jake Peavy, P, Padres
Prince Fielder, 1B, Brewers
Chase Utley, 2B, Phillies
Hanley Ramirez, SS, Marlins
David Wright, 3B, Mets
Matt Holliday, OF, Rockies
Carlos Lee, OF, Astros
Aaron Rowand, OF, Phillies
Russell Martin, C, Dodgers
*Jose Valverde, RP, Diamondbacks

*Relief pitchers determined by saves plus wins.

SPEAK OUT ON THIS ARTICLE
» Comments on this article: 79 User comments
» Add your own comment to this article

Comments
gayrod player of year?
Posted by MannybeingManny24Blog on Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:54 am

unbelievable! how is he the player of the year? where is his team now? he only contributes when his team is losing or winning by 10 runs. If anyone should be player of the year it should be David Ortiz

Rate or reply to this comment | Report abuse

Hard to argue...
Posted by BuscoCardinalsFan on Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:55 am

with this list. Too bad you couldn't squeeze Pujols in there, for what he's accomplished 7 seasons in a row. Fielder had a great year, Albert just does it every year.

i agree
Posted by MannybeingManny24Blog on Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:13 am

pujols is just a beast, he gets it done every year

Releif Pitch
Posted by PeteD on Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:32 am

How come the only time you use just 2 stats is to determine the top releiver, I will take Papelbon. He had less orportunities which means less saves. DUH

Posted by ferociousjaneBlog on Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:33 am

Don't let your dislike of New York cloud your judgement , folks.

ARod had an epic year and deserves this award. If he didn't have the numbers, you'd have the right to be indignant.

And, I'd like to believe that we're all knowledgable enough sports fans to remember that the post season and what a team or player does there has nothing to do with this award.

Nice asterisk by Borowski's name. If it weren't based on number of saves , this guy would NOT be on the list. He is a heartattack with a mitt.

A-Rod
Posted by polonius916Blog on Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:42 am

I'm not a huge fan of the man...after all, I was in Seattle when he left for Texas saying, "It's not about the money." Pah-Lease.

But this year's stats are really Ruthian in nature. I don't like Bonds either--in fact, at all-- but he has put up supposedly Ruthian numbers. The reality is is that Bonds has never in his life put up all round numbers like these. What is it, only two other guys have ever had 50 and 150 (Ruth twice and somebody else once). And then there is the near Gold Glove 3rd Base. This is one of the best seasons in history. Hate on A-Rod all you want...but you've got to give props where they are due. And POY isn't about the post-season (a post season the Yankees wouldn't have been in without A-Rod), it's about the regular season. This regular season A-Rod is King--you've got to give the props, even if you still can't stand the guy and think (probably rightly) that he's over paid.

Pujols
Posted by snowhillBlog on Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:53 am

is a great player and indeed has the good numbers every year. However, this is a yearly award not a lifetime achievement award.

Manny, perhaps you might have had a case in some prior years but not this year. If you watched the Yankees this year Arod came through many times. Then also, what's with the ignorant name calling in your heading.

A Rod
Posted by jaybird256Blog on Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:01 pm

A Rod had the numbers plain and simple. Nobody else matched what he did this year. Player of the Year award is for the regular season and he had by far the best regular season of anybody in the majors. He deserves this title.

Re: gayrod player of year?
Posted by dyoung44Blog on Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:44 pm

MannybeingManny24 wrote:
unbelievable! how is he the player of the year? where is his team now? he only contributes when his team is losing or winning by 10 runs. If anyone should be player of the year it should be David Ortiz

Excuse me while I gag...Ortiz??? Take off the Red Sox blinders and understand that Player of the Year is based on regular season statistics. Whether you agree or not that is the criteria...and...the voting was by other players!!!

Re: i agree
Posted by dyoung44Blog on Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:45 pm

MannybeingManny24 wrote:
pujols is just a beast, he gets it done every year

Hey...check out Pujols' playoff stats in the World Series last year. Pretty bad...perhaps he shouldn't be on this list??

E-mail this | Comment on this article

All times are EST
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next Page 1 of 8