ABC Home | Radio | Television | News | More Subjects… | Shop

Email

Iemma warns Sydney to prepare for APEC invasion

Posted February 26, 2007 17:14:00

The New South Wales Premier says Sydney-siders should be prepared for more inconvenience when APEC leaders arrive in September, similar to the disruption caused during the visit of US Vice-President Dick Cheney.

Morris Iemma says he believes some of the measures taken for Mr Cheney's visit were over the top.

He says there will be constraints on the level of information released to the public for security reasons and that it is too early to know if the Harbour Bridge will be closed.

"There will be inconvenience, the parameters will be set, international security agencies, our own federal police and it will fall to the NSW police to enforce those parameters," Mr Iemma said.

"It's an event that is the result of the national government invitation, we have to provide the security."

Chief executive of RailCorp, Vince Graham, says the rail network in Sydney's CBD could be shut down when APEC leaders arrive in September.

Mr Graham says RailCorp will close CBD stations at the request of security agencies.

"On this occasion whether we proceed with a weekend shutdown of the system in the CBD on the APEC weekend or whether we defer it to another weekend is a matter for consideration and determination by Commonwealth and State security agencies," he said.

Federal Attorney-General Philip Ruddock says he is confident this year's APEC forum will be hosted "safely and securely" in Australia.

Parts of Sydney were locked down during the US Vice-President Dick Cheney's visit last week.

Mr Ruddock says appropriate arrangements were made to ensure Mr Cheney was protected.

Mr Ruddock told a conference in Sydney $166 million is being spent on security for APEC.

Tags: federal-government, federal-state-issues, sydney-2000