Chizik revisits weaknesses in Texas' playbook
Former Longhorns coordinator studied hours of game film

By Cody Hale
Iowa State's head coach Gene Chizik directs his team in the first half of the college football game against Nebraska in Lincoln, Saturday.
Media Credit: AP

Greg Davis knows Iowa State coach Gene Chizik better than that.

The Texas offensive coordinator remembers visiting with Chizik during offensive meetings. He remembers seeing Chizik studying game film and taking notes. The two often shared advice and offered criticism regarding both sides of the ball for the Longhorns.

During Chizik's two years as co-defensive coordinator (2005 and 2006) of the Longhorns, Davis and Chizik spent countless hours watching film together.

Chizik not only studied strengths and weaknesses of opponents, but Texas' as well.

Now is the time that Chizik will revisit his years at Texas and recall all of the Longhorns' weaknesses.

And Davis knows Chizik held onto all those little notes. He knows Chizik would never let go of something that important.

"He really liked to visit during meetings and film, and I liked to do that as well," Davis said. "So, we had many hours worth of yellow pages full of notes about what hurt [Texas] the most. He kept his yellow pages, so I'm sure he's feeling good now."

Maybe not as good as Davis thinks.

In Chizik's first season as head coach of Iowa State, the Cyclones are a dismal 1-5 but share a similar 0-2 record with the Longhorns in the Big 12. Chizik's only victory of the season came against Iowa when kicker Bret Culbertson hit a game-winning 28-yard field goal with :01 remaining.

"It's been an up-and-down season, and we've shot ourselves in the foot and gave some of the games away," safety James Smith said. "[Chizik] is a great coach."

Despite losing five of six games this season, the Cyclones look at their lone win for some much-needed confidence.

"It shows that this team can play when we're on the same page," Smith said.

And Chizik is a coach that has the skills necessary to take down a team like Texas. Whether Iowa State has enough talent in all positions to cause an

upset is another question.

While Chizik relinquished his defensive play-calling duties when he left Texas, he still remembers what hurts the Longhorns the most.
Page 1 of 2 next >

Article Tools

The Texan strives to present all information fairly, accurately and completely.
If we have made an error, let us know about it here, or email managingeditor@dailytexanonline.com.

Voice your opinion!

Let your voice be heard. Fill out your comments below.
Be sure to include your name, major, and classification. Submissions without this information are subject to deletion.
By clicking Post, you give The Daily Texan the right to publish your comments in any form, including online and in print in The Firing Line. Please limit your comments to 300 words. The Daily Texan reserves the right to edit all comments for brevity, clarity and liability.
You may also send Firing Lines to the editor at firingline@dailytexanonline.com

Be the first to comment on this story

• NOTE: Email address will not be published

Type your comment below (html not allowed)

I understand posting spam or other comments that are unrelated to this article will cause my comment to be flagged for deletion and possibly cause my IP address to be permanently banned from this server.

ADVERTISEMENTS

Austin Real Estate
Dresses Dresses
New Home Austin Texas
Dresses for Prom
Moroccan Furniture
Concert Tickets
$49 Prom Dresses Bridesmaid
Mortgage Refinancing

Prom Dresses
T-Shirts
Discount Shopping
Real Estate
Texas Longhorns Tickets
Generate traffic! Advertise on dailytexanonline.com

Copyright (c) 2006 The Daily Texan and Texas Student Publications. All Rights Reserved.
Advertising Rates | Around Campus | Back Issues | Contact Us
Submit a Firing Line | Submit Around Campus | Buy Photos
Advertising Supplements | Super Coupons
Texas Student Publications