Iowa State has chance to earn signature win against Texas

By Ryan Killian
It wasn't so long ago that Gene Chizik led Texas to a national title and was the defensive coordinator for a squad that had back-to-back Thorpe Award winners.

But to be fair, the guy in charge of those defensive backs is still at Texas, and the highly acclaimed Chizik is 1-5 at Iowa State.

Chizik was widely considered the nation's hottest prospect when it came to head coaching candidates who'd never led a program, and he probably could have held out for a better job.

Instead - and I can't blame him for this - he was taken with the Cyclones when they came calling. Iowa State is a BCS conference team, and it's had a spot of success recently, so most guys with no head coaching experience would be champing at the bit to get the job.

But Chizik won the Broyles Award in 2004, which goes to the nation's top assistant coach. He also racked up a personal 29-game winning streak between his stints at Auburn and Texas.

Then he went to Iowa State.

It didn't take him long to earn a signature win. The Cyclones beat in-state rival Iowa 15-13 on the power of five field goals in his third game.

But in Big 12 play, Chizik's boys fell to Nebraska 17-35. Then they fell to Texas Tech 17-42.

Through it all, Chizik's new players have stuck by him and his ability.

Chizik won over his players with one-on-one meetings that included everyone from star wide receiver Todd Blythe to each walk-on.

Asked about his coach's success and early accomplishments with the Cyclones, though, Blythe was realistic.

"We're 1-5. That says a little bit," he said.

But Chizik has a chance to make his second win a the-band-is-out-on-the-field kind of affair, and it comes against his last employer.

Blythe said his head coach would never reveal whether or not that makes this game special.

But...

"I'd be lying if I said I didn't think that was the case," he said. "I definitely think he has a little extra for this game."
Page 1 of 2 next >

Article Tools

The Texan strives to present all information fairly, accurately and completely.
If we have made an error, let us know about it here, or email managingeditor@dailytexanonline.com.

Voice your opinion!

Let your voice be heard. Fill out your comments below.
Be sure to include your name, major, and classification. Submissions without this information are subject to deletion.
By clicking Post, you give The Daily Texan the right to publish your comments in any form, including online and in print in The Firing Line. Please limit your comments to 300 words. The Daily Texan reserves the right to edit all comments for brevity, clarity and liability.
You may also send Firing Lines to the editor at firingline@dailytexanonline.com

Be the first to comment on this story

• NOTE: Email address will not be published

Type your comment below (html not allowed)

I understand posting spam or other comments that are unrelated to this article will cause my comment to be flagged for deletion and possibly cause my IP address to be permanently banned from this server.

ADVERTISEMENTS

Austin Real Estate
Dresses Dresses
New Home Austin Texas
Dresses for Prom
Moroccan Furniture
Concert Tickets
$49 Prom Dresses Bridesmaid
Mortgage Refinancing

Prom Dresses
T-Shirts
Discount Shopping
Real Estate
Texas Longhorns Tickets
Generate traffic! Advertise on dailytexanonline.com

Copyright (c) 2006 The Daily Texan and Texas Student Publications. All Rights Reserved.
Advertising Rates | Around Campus | Back Issues | Contact Us
Submit a Firing Line | Submit Around Campus | Buy Photos
Advertising Supplements | Super Coupons
Texas Student Publications