APPEARANCE - Sturdy, tough,
mobile, capable of endurance. Long in proportion
to height, terminating in fox-like brush, set in line
- Alert, active and intelligent.
- Alert, intelligent, steady, not shy or aggressive.
AND SKULL - Head foxy in shape and appearance, skull
wide and flat between ears tapering towards eyes above
which it is slightly domed. Moderate stop.
Length of foreface in proportion to head 3 to 5, muzzle
tapering moderately towards nose which projects slightly
and in no sense blunt. Underjaw clean cut.
Strong but without prominence. Nose black.
- Medium size, clear, giving kindly, alert but watchful
expression. Rather widely set with corners clearly
defined. Preferably dark, or to blend with coat,
rims dark. One or both eyes pale blue, blue or
blue flecked, permissible only in blue merles.
- Erect, proportionately rather large to size of dog.
Tips slightly rounded, moderately wide at base and set
about 9 cms (3 &1/2; ins) apart. Carried so that
tips are slightly wide of straight line drawn from tip
of nose through centre of eyes, and set well back so
that they can be laid flat along neck.
- Teeth strong, with scissor bite, i.e. Upper teeth
closely overlapping the lower teeth and set square to
- Muscular, well developed, in proportion to dog's build,
fitting into well sloping shoulders.
- Shoulders well laid, angulated at approximately 90
degrees to upper arm; muscular, elbows close to sides.
Strong bone carried down to feet. Legs short but
body well clear of the ground, forearms slightly bowed
to mould round the chest. Feet turned slightly
- Chest moderately broad with prominent breast bone.
Body fairly long and strong, with deep brisket, well
sprung ribs, clearly defined waist. Topline level.
- Strong, well angulated and aligned with muscular thighs
and second thighs, strong bone carried down to feet,
legs short; when standing, hocks vertical, viewed from
side and rear.
- Round, tight, rather large and well padded.
All dewclaws to be removed.
- Like a fox's brush set in line with the body and moderately
long (to touch or nearly touch ground). Carried
low when standing but may be lifted a little above body
when moving, not curled over back.
- Free and active, elbows fitting close to sides, neither
loose nor tied. Forelegs reaching well forward
without too much lift, in unison with thrusting action
- Short or medium of hard texture. Weatherproof,
with good undercoat. Preferably straight.
- Any colour, with or without white markings, but white
should not predominate.
- Ideal Height: 30 cms (12 ins) at shoulders.
Weight in proportion to size with overall balance the
- Any departure from the foregoing points should be
considered a fault and the seriousness with which the
fault should be regarded should be in exact proportion
to its degree.
- Male animals should have two apparently normal testicles
fully descended into the scrotum.
Working Dog Group A.N.K.C.
© January 1998