PDA

View Full Version : NBC Music

brainfry
11-07-2006, 08:09 AM
This has probably been brought up before (I'm only about a week old here), but I think that NBC Sports had the best theme music in the '70s and '80s, head and shoulders above the other networks. If you search the internet, you can find audio and video clips of ABC's and CBS's themes (esp. the NFL), but NBC music is nowhere to be found--except for a brief clip of the mid-'80s theme.

I share the opinion of several people I have read on other message boards that the '70s theme that was used for all sports, but that is mostly associated with the NFL, is the best piece of sports music ever made (you know, starts with the guitar, then the low brass, then the trumpets and synth, then you get that roaring sax solo, then the trumpets, and a repeat of the theme after a key change).

Anyone know what I'm talkin' about? Better yet, anyone know where to find these ('80s one is good, too--reminds you of Bob Costas and Gayle Gardner)?

risnuff
11-07-2006, 09:51 AM
I share the opinion of several people I have read on other message boards that the '70s theme that was used for all sports, but that is mostly associated with the NFL, is the best piece of sports music ever made (you know, starts with the guitar, then the low brass, then the trumpets and synth, then you get that roaring sax solo, then the trumpets, and a repeat of the theme after a key change).

Who in thier right mind would NOT want NBC to bring this music back for the NFL and NHL? I agree. Greatest sports music ever, and the intros that accompanied it were slickly edited for thier day, and better than say, a bunch of GMC trucks turning into lineman. *coughESPNcough*

Brent_L_S
11-07-2006, 10:28 AM
Having more than a passing interest in the evolution (or lack there of) of popular music, I will refrain from a lengthy diatribe. What you are describing is the presence of staff orchestras and arrangers. All the major networks had them. The changing musical taste of the viewers, along with the opportunity to reduce production cost, allowed for the use of technology and the employ of fewer musicians with classical/jazz skill levels.

If any are familiar with Quincy Jones, most probably known today as the producer of Michael Jackson's hit albums, or more recently his appearances in Austin Power's movies. At one time, Jone's did considerable composition and arranging work for NBC. Most notably the score for the old Ironside detective show in the 1970's. Likewise, he worked on the sports side of the network as well. Most of the NBC theme music in the 1970's has his influences. Probably his most extensive original compositions for sports television were written for the 1984 Summer Olympics.

TJGuitar
11-07-2006, 11:11 AM
Probably his most extensive original compositions for sports television were written for the 1984 Summer Olympics. Didn't John Williams do the bulk of that?

J White
11-07-2006, 12:01 PM
John Tesh produced some of the NBC Sports music in the 90s. Go to iTunes and search for Gridiron Dreams (NFL on NBC theme) and Roundball Rock (NBA on NBC theme).

NBC used a lot of Tesh's earlier stuff for sports coverage, Olympics, Tour DuPont (cycling) and others.

rsmath
11-07-2006, 03:46 PM
Is that a John Williams composition used on NBC Sunday Night Football (after "she's a man" Pink sings her song intro and a "orchestral" type of music plays as the scene fades to a beauty shot of the stadium and shows the home town team taking the field?)

What I hope is a John Williams composition is also played going into some breaks during the game.

JPKirby
11-07-2006, 04:08 PM
Yes, that is John Williams. He's done a lot of work for NBC...almost all of the network's news music is his.

Brent_L_S
11-07-2006, 05:12 PM
Williams did the bulk of work for the Olympics, and yes, most of NBC's original compositions over the last 20 years. I would consider his work more in the classical genre. I think the OP was refering more to the orchestral jazz pieces done in the 70's and early 80's.

TroyT
11-07-2006, 07:57 PM
Brain,

I totally agree with you about the NBC NFL music from the 70s. But also remember the themes from the early 80s (pre-Tesh?) Very underrated works.

brainfry
11-07-2006, 08:04 PM
TroyT,
I rate the mid-late '80s music just a little below the '70s music. If you think about it, the arrangements were very simple: brass, bass, and drums, with a slight amount of guitar. I wish they would bring back that thumping beat!

I am not a fan of Tesh's music at all. It's too flowery to represent football, IMO.

Harold
11-07-2006, 11:49 PM
NBC's theme music has always been outstanding. My favorite is the theme music NBC uses for college football specifically on New Year's Day, and that tune has been used only on New Year's Day since the early 90's. Does anyone know the title and artist for this piece, and where it can be downloaded? Thanks.

TroyT
11-07-2006, 11:58 PM
Ah yes-I forgot about that one. It framed New Years Day well. Not to sound too sappy here, but it made it sound like NBC was proud to carry those games. Long live the bowl tripleheader!

dymovies
11-08-2006, 01:14 AM
Actually my favorite NBC SPORTS Theme music is the NBA on NBC Theme music.

markp
11-08-2006, 07:59 AM
On the topic of music, could someone point me to where I could find the tunage they play right before they go to kick-off with the bells type music and the verbage something along the lines of "The following is a presentation of the NFL....."

They do it both on Sunday Ticket and the ESPN and NBC games as well. I know there is a longer version of the music as I have heard the entire version played on one of the Red Zone channels or something.

Sorry I can't be more descriptive, but I think most know what I am talking about.

djlong
11-08-2006, 08:12 AM
I've got the "Official Album" of the '84 Olympics and John Williams is credited.

bmasters1
11-08-2006, 12:32 PM
On the topic of music, could someone point me to where I could find the tunage they play right before they go to kick-off with the bells type music and the verbage something along the lines of "The following is a presentation of the NFL....."

They do it both on Sunday Ticket and the ESPN and NBC games as well. I know there is a longer version of the music as I have heard the entire version played on one of the Red Zone channels or something.

Sorry I can't be more descriptive, but I think most know what I am talking about.

I know what you're talking about. I hear it every Sunday/Monday on CBS/FOX/NBC/ESPN. The announcer says "CBS Sports/FOX Sports/NBC Sports/ESPN welcomes you to the following presentation of the National Football League." I am not sure, however, where to find it.

Brent_L_S
11-08-2006, 01:09 PM
http://www.glasspages.org/olymp84.html

There were many composers who contributed to the '84 Olympics, including Burt Bacharach. Quincy Jones did the slow tempo gymnastics piece "Grace", which is one of my favorites, being a fan of his in general.

markp
11-08-2006, 01:18 PM
I know what you're talking about. I hear it every Sunday/Monday on CBS/FOX/NBC/ESPN. The announcer says "CBS Sports/FOX Sports/NBC Sports/ESPN welcomes you to the following presentation of the National Football League." I am not sure, however, where to find it.

Exactly! I will try to dig around and find it.

Harold
11-16-2006, 08:54 AM
I've been trying to find NBC's New Years Day football music on various download sites, with no success. Does anyone know a download site that has this music, or what the title is and who plays it. Thanks so much, because I'm starting to go crazy in this search.

NU-WAVE
11-16-2006, 11:11 AM
I agree that NBC's music has historically been very good. My all-time favorite music for football was used only twice -- by NBC at Super Bowl XIII and Super Bowl XV.

claytmc6882
11-16-2006, 03:31 PM
I just got an email from JoshuaSex@aol.com, who sent me a full length clip (from the closing of the 1986 World Series) of the theme. Besides the Randy Edleman's theme from "The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr." this is probably my favorite NBC baseball related theme.

dymovies
11-17-2006, 01:18 AM
I also enjoy the NBC Sunday Night Football theme music. That would be my second behind the NBA On NBC theme music.

dymovies
11-18-2006, 01:34 AM
I also enjoy the theme music of NBC Sports coverage of the Olympic Winter Games & Olympic Summer Games. That would be my third behind the NBC Sunday Night Football theme music. And I won't go any further on this topic.

claytmc6882
11-20-2006, 04:54 PM
I just got an email from JoshuaSex@aol.com, who sent me a full length clip (from the closing of the 1986 World Series) of the theme. Besides the Randy Edleman's theme from "The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr." this is probably my favorite NBC baseball related theme.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v354/TMC1982/?action=view&current=1986_World_Series_Closing_Music_The.flv

DrBear
11-20-2006, 05:13 PM
The one I didn't like was NBC's last AFC theme before CBS took it over - one critic called it "The Dance of the 4-12 Bengals."

EagleGolfer
05-16-2007, 03:00 AM
Does ANYONE know what the theme song is that NBC uses for the opening for the U.S. Open? It is a great piece of music and I have not found it anywhere?

TroyT
05-16-2007, 11:14 AM
Does ANYONE know what the theme song is that NBC uses for the opening for the U.S. Open? It is a great piece of music and I have not found it anywhere?

"In Celebration of Man" by Yanni

EagleGolfer
05-16-2007, 04:29 PM
I read that "In Celebration of Man" has never been released. Is their a way to get a copy of that song?

TroyT
05-18-2007, 12:34 AM
I read that "In Celebration of Man" has never been released. Is their a way to get a copy of that song?

Not that I know of, but keep looking

HarryD
05-20-2007, 10:38 AM
Take you pick from a lots and lots of themes...
http://www.ilovewavs.com/TV/Sports/Sports.htm

EagleGolfer
05-21-2007, 12:54 AM
no NBC golf on that page Harry. Is there anywhere else you can find something similar?

JPKirby
05-22-2007, 10:34 AM
The one I didn't like was NBC's last AFC theme before CBS took it over - one critic called it "The Dance of the 4-12 Bengals."

Anyone notice it was reused during a skit on the Tonight Show last night?