||Panstwowa Fabryka Karabinow, Warsaw, Poland|
||7.92 mm x 107 DS|
||1760 mm (69.3")|
||1200 mm (47.24")|
||9.5 kg (20.9 lb)|
||1275 m/s (4183 m/s)*|
|* Velocity decreased with barrel wear.|
The work on high-speed rifle ammunition began in Poland in late 20's - early 30's. After the completion, work began on a suitable rifle. The winning design, kb ppanc wz. 1935 (rifle, anti-tank model 1935) was designed by Jozef Maroszek in early 1930's. There are no exact data on when the work began or how it progressed since from the beginning the rifle and ammunition were classified. The kb wz. 1935 was adopted in November 1935 and 7610 rifles were ordered in Fabryka Karabinow (Rifle Factory) in Warsaw. The exact number made before the outbreak of W.W.II is unknown but the highest receiver serial numbers of surviving specimens are in 6500 range.
In the beginning, the rifles were stored at central storage facilities. The delivery to the army units started in April 1939; the last rifles were delivered to units as late as in August 1939. The orders specified that the crate containing the rifle must not be opened before the start of hostilities. The weapon itself was demonstrated only to a handful of soldiers under oath.
Kb ppanc wz. 1935 is a bolt-action repeater. The action is a simplified Mauser action similar to that used in KP 32; one of Maroszek's earlier designs. It is fed by a four-round detachable box magazine held in place by two magazine catches (one in front and one behind the magazine). The barrel is screwed in into the receiver and is threaded at the muzzle to accept the necessary muzzle brake (it consumed around 65% of the recoil). According to the manual, the barrel life was around 200-300 rounds, after which it should be changed. The wooden stock is equipped with two sling swivels: one behind the pistol grip and one attached to the barrel band. A bipod is mounted to the barrel just in front the stock. The sights are fixed and set at 300 meters: open rear on the forward part of the receiver and front attached to the muzzle brake.
The rifle was delivered in a wooden crate, which contained the rifle, itself, 3 spare barrels, 3 spare magazines, ammunition (32 rounds), barrel key, and a manual.
The rifle used 7.92 x 107 mm DS ammunition. Weighting 64.25 g (2.25 oz), the cartridge contained 11.15 g (172 grains) of propellant and was topped by a 14.579 g (225 grains) bullet. The ammunition was made by " P.W.U. Panswowa Fabryka Amunicji" in Skarzysko Kamienne. The rounds were packed in cardboard boxed (12 rounds) which, in turn, were packed in hermetically closed cans. Cans were packed into wooden crates. From 300 meters the bullet could penetrate a 15 mm (0.6 ") steel plate mounted at 30-degree angle and still retain sufficient energy to penetrate a 4 cm (1.6 ") wooden board. Additionally the bullet would punch out a 20 mm secondary projectile from the armor adding to the destructive effect. At 100 meters the bullet would penetrate around 33 mm (1.3 ") of armor. This means that at a range of 100 m, a bullet fired from kb ppanc wz. 1935 could destroy or damage any German or Soviet tank used in the aggression against Poland. Other armored vehicles could be destroyed from even greater distance. Contrary to the popular belief, the weapon was widely used by Polish infantry and cavalry.
The primary user of the kb wz. 1935 was the Polish army. After the fall of Poland, a significant number of these rifles fell into German hands. Designated Panzer Büchse 35 (polnisch) or PzB 35(p) they were used up to late 1940. Later, some of weapons were sold to the Italian army which called it Fucile Contracarro 35(P).
The rifle is also known as "Urugwaj" (or kb UR) which suggests that it was "camouflaged" in the paperworks as an rifle for export to Uruguay.