Spider-Man Action Figures

WWE Action Figures

home

Go Back   NEWSARAMA > NEWS

Old 10-26-2007, 12:06 PM   #1
MattBrady

DC COMICS NAMES JERRY ROBINSON CREATIVE CONSULTANT

Press Release
DC Comics, the largest English-language publisher of comics in the world, and home to Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman announced today that legendary Batman comic book artist Jerry Robinson, a key contributor during the early years of the Batman comic book series, will be a creative consultant for the company.

"It’s an honor to have Jerry complete his journey from DC’s bullpen to advising us on characters he was intimately involved with, and the international world of comics he knows so well," said Paul Levitz, DC Comics President and Publisher.

“I am delighted to be affiliated with DC Comics, my alma mater, as Creative Consultant,” said Jerry Robinson. “I look forward to working with Paul Levitz, whom I greatly admire, and the enormously talented DC editors, artists and writers.”

Born on January 1, 1922 in Trenton, New Jersey, Robinson was a student at Columbia University in New York when he first began working for Batman creator Bob Kane in 1939. Kane, along with writer Bill Finger, had just created Batman for National Comics, the company that would eventually become DC Comics. Robinson first began as a letterer and background inker, eventually moving into the role of penciller and primary inker for the early Batman strips.

In 1942, Robinson began a stint as the series’ main artist, followed by other comic book legends, including Dick Sprang. Robinson played a vital role in the early appearances of legendary Batman characters, notably The Joker, Robin, Alfred, and The Penguin, and executed many of the iconic covers of the Golden Age of comic books.

After leaving the Batman line, Robinson continued working in the comic book field, writing and drawing numerous features for a variety of publishers. In 1961 he began a new career, creating the political/social satire “still life” and later “Life with Robinson,” syndicated daily for 34 years. Another popular creation ”Flubs & Fluffs” ran in the Sunday New York News for over two decades.

Robinson’s new role as creative consultant will reunite the legendary creator with many of the characters he spent decades working with, including the Batman.

--

ABOUT JERRY ROBINSON:

In addition to his comic book work, Jerry Robinson is an accomplished artist, writer, historian and curator. Robinson’s published works include The Comics: An Illustrated History of Comic Strip Art (Putnam), acclaimed as the definitive study of the genre. His other books include the biography, Skippy and Percy Crosby (Holt), and The 1970s: Best Political Cartoons of the Decade (McGraw-Hill). Robinson‘s drawings of Broadway theatre appeared for years in Playbill magazine. He is the co-art director of the hour-long animation, “Stereotypes,” filmed at the Soyuzmult Studios in Moscow, and co-author of the musical Astra: A Comic Book Opera. The premiere of Astra was performed in Washington, DC in June 2007. A graphic novel adaptation of Astra was published in Japan and the U.S.

Robinson has made several tours of Europe, North Africa, Japan and Korea entertaining the armed forces. He has traveled to over 40 countries, serving on international art juries and as comics curator, including the first exhibition of American cartoon art in Tokyo, Taipai, Warsaw and Moscow; and others in Portugal, Slovenia and Ukraine. At the invitation of the United Nations, Robinson’s company CartoonArts International produced major exhibitions at UN summits in Rio de Janeiro (ecology), Cairo (development) and Vienna (human rights).

Robinson produced numerous exhibitions in the U.S., including the first show of American comic art at a major fine art gallery, the Graham Gallery in New York (1972). He served as special consultant for the largest cartoon art exhibition, at The Kennedy Center, Washington DC, and for the landmark show at Whitney Museum in New York. In 2004 he produced the first in-depth exhibition of the super-hero genre, The Superhero: The Golden Age of Comic Books 1939 –1950 at the Breman Museum, Atlanta, which is now on world tour. In 2006, Robinson curated the exhibition, The Superhero: Good and Evil in American Comics, at the Jewish Museum in New York.

Robinson was a member of the faculty of the School of Visual Arts, The New School, Parsons School of Design and Pratt Institute, all in New York City. An exhibition of his color photography was held at SVA Galleries. In 2000 Scriptorium Films produced a ninety-minute television documentary on Robinson’s career for Brazilian TV. Harry N. Abrams will publish Robinson’s biography, written by Professor Christopher Couch in 2008. Robinson is currently the curator for the United Nations exhibition celebrating the 60th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights that will be opened by the UN Secretary General on December 10, 2007.

Robinson served as president of both the National Cartoonists Society and the Association of American Editorial Cartoonists, the only person so honored by his peers. In 1978 he founded Cartoonists & Writers Syndicate/CartoonArts International, which represents political and humor artists from around the world.

Robinson has been honored time and again for his contributions to comics, including the National Cartoonists Society award for the Best Comic Book Artist (1956), the first year that award was given; the Best Newspaper Panel Cartoon for Still Life (1963); and their Special Features Award for Flubs & Fluffs (1965). Robinson received the Milton Caniff Lifetime Achievement Award in 2000. He received the Clampett Humanitarian Award in 1999 and was inducted into the Comic Book Hall of Fame in 2004.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:14 PM   #2
Flicker

And he created the Joker.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:17 PM   #3
Nobody

No offense to the man, as he is indeed a legend, but, crap that's weird.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:17 PM   #4
Hawkangel

huh???????????
Old 10-26-2007, 12:24 PM   #5
Robb Welch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody
No offense to the man, as he is indeed a legend, but, crap that's weird.
Right. All due respect, but I think this is an honorary thing. Where are the Hero guys??
Old 10-26-2007, 12:26 PM   #6
ElijahSnowFan

Awesome -- comics, like any other creative industry, should never forget those who helped shape the characters and concepts still in use today.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:34 PM   #7
Rob S.

That's really cool.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:36 PM   #8
achilles140

I think it's a great acknowledgment. DC and Marvel need to recognize the talent that made them.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:40 PM   #9
rictor

I think this is a a way of honoring the man. By giving a Golden Age creator a consulting position with the company, it shows that they continue to respect the past and want input from creators of different eras.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:40 PM   #10
Jomma

Congrats Robinson!

I wonder if he'll do conventions.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:40 PM   #11
roach04

Meet Jerry a couple of times at the Toronto Comicon - he is one of the nicest men and still a great talent. Good for DC!
Old 10-26-2007, 12:56 PM   #12
wishlish

Given how Jerry Robinson was royally screwed over back in the day (getting a little page rate but nothing else), this is an awesome move. But you have to wonder if there's some fear that Robinson could make a claim of ownership of some of the characters in the Batman comics, ala the Joanne Siegel lawsuit, and DC's trying to head something off.

Still, great move. Robinson might be my favorite Golden Age artist- he was a fantastic graphic designer.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:04 PM   #13
Simon DelMonte

Having met the man, and knowing his involvement in the Jewish super-heroes exhibition that appeared in Atlanta, NYC and Miami, I can say that this is not honorary. He will get involved.

And will probably drive all the masters of the dark comic book crazy. He's not a fan of today's comics, and I wonder how much Didio and friends know that.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:06 PM   #14
Jimmy Palmiotti

Talking

Good for Jerry!!! congrats man...you earned whatever is thrown your way. much success!!

what would make it perfect would be to bring JOE KUBERT in as well.

JIMMY
Old 10-26-2007, 01:09 PM   #15
jonmason1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishlish
you have to wonder if there's some fear that Robinson could make a claim of ownership of some of the characters in the Batman comics, ala the Joanne Siegel lawsuit, and DC's trying to head something off.

Agreed- total speculation of course, but it's possible some signing away of future lawsuits/acknowledgement that DC has definitive legal ownership of characters etc. was part of the deal - and the "creative consultant" is basically a compensation settlement.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:22 PM   #16
Mostly_Human

It is great to see the industry give something back to the old school guys. If this is a "please don't sue us, Mr. Robinson, sir." kind of thing, I'm fine with it. Every Golden Age writer and artist should be trying to regain some compensation for creations still owned by the big two. I see this as a step in the right direction. This is a good thing for DC and Robinson.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:37 PM   #17
darthdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Palmiotti
Good for Jerry!!! congrats man...you earned whatever is thrown your way. much success!!

what would make it perfect would be to bring JOE KUBERT in as well.

JIMMY

couldn't agree more. this would be a great move for DC creatively. love the idea of jerry coming on board as a consultant.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:41 PM   #18
Jiminy Snick

Quote:
Kane, along with writer Bill Finger

As well as being very happy that Robinson is getting this opportunity, I am truly happy to see that this is being stressed more and more these days. High time that this got a more public airing.

Kane, had all too often got all the glory and royalties, while Finger died destitute and scarcely got a mention as a principle co-creator.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:49 PM   #19
Not From Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon DelMonte
Having met the man, and knowing his involvement in the Jewish super-heroes exhibition that appeared in Atlanta, NYC and Miami, I can say that this is not honorary. He will get involved.

And will probably drive all the masters of the dark comic book crazy. He's not a fan of today's comics, and I wonder how much Didio and friends know that.

Now wouldn't that be something? A man who was in on the industry at the very beginning coming back and having an influence at this late date!

When it comes to superhero comics his generation had a greater record of accomplishment than any subsequent cohort. They created both the Golden Age and the Silver Age, after all.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:01 PM   #20
Tony Clifton

Good for DC. Jerry Robinson really got royally screwed back in the day and I'm happy to see that DC has brought him on board. As for whether or not it'll be "just a title" or if he'll actually be contributing, who cares? We all owe Mr. Robinson a huge debt of thanks for his contributions in the industry.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:03 PM   #21
Axelay

To me, this screams of a pre-emptive move to make someone happy who has potential copyright claims. I would not be surprised if it was later revealed this guy had signed away his rights to sue in exchange for the consulting job.

DC is still fighting out this whole Superboy thing and I think they're positioning the chess pieces very, very, VERY carefully to try to prevent any more copyright lawsuits.

Again, just my two cents. I can't prove any of this.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:03 PM   #22
darthdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon DelMonte

this is exactly the reason why i think this is a good move. there was a book written recently about Abraham Lincoln called the team of rivals, and the book is about Lincoln putting people who had run against him for office or who just disagreed with him in general and put those people in cabinet positions. that way he knew he was looking at problems from all angles before making a descision. i think this is exactly what more creative industries need to do.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:11 PM   #23
emerald archer

For God's sake

Since the orginal post that I was replying to was nuked, let me just say that Jerry deserves this. One of the few last great Golden Age talents. The man had much more to do witht he creation of The batman and his mythos than most people realize.

Very very happy about this!

Jim

Last edited by emerald archer : 10-26-2007 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:45 PM   #24
Drcharles

A man of his experience coming on board to DC will and should have a satisifying influence along with some 'class' on future projects, and this is right.
Whether its DCs acknowledgement for past works, or not, that doesn't matter to anyone on the outside, what matters is; we as Fans may have something from this man that will reflect his greatness, and Im looking forward to whatever that may be.

Congratulations.....
Old 10-26-2007, 02:49 PM   #25
otclefer

Do you cynics have to make every freaking thread a reflection of your miserable lives?

This guy is not a typical comic creator...

He's like a Nobel Prize level creator that has a broad view of this and other similar industries...and he's never stopped growing as a creator.

Seeing as how his generation sold millions of comics monthly to a country with 90 million people in it, while the current comics sell 90 thousand comics monthly to a country with 350 million people in it...perhaps they are hoping to relearn something long since forgotten.

Even better...perhaps they are looking to branch off into new uncharted direction...and seek a guy who actually knows what is uncharted...and what is already coverd ground, the covering of which has been forgotten by modern generations.

Kinda like when the US started making plans to return to the moon...they didn't know how to do it anymore, how to utlize the technology...it was forgotten.

You bunch of bigots toward the elderly..and that's what you are, bigots, are a disgrace. A bunch of dumb stupid kids that don't know jack that think they know everything...

He might have a lot of insight that could help the industry...it could just be an honorable move, it could be a way of settling stuff out of court concerning copyrights...

Although, I don't think Robinson would be placated that way....based on what I know of him.

The elderly have a lot of to offer younger generations...they lived and gone through things we have to yet to experience...and sorry, they weren't that much different than we were...they liked girls, they cussed, they partied...and we wouldn't be where we are now without them...no matter how advanced and sophisiticated you think you are...

It was his generation that developed the initial concepts for that PC you are typing on and reading with...

It's the height of ignorance and bigotry to make blanket statements concerning what they have to contribute...you aren't smart people at all making these statements...and you're disrepectful as hell as well..

And there's absolutely no need for you to be that way....

Young
Stupid
Punks

Last edited by otclefer : 10-26-2007 at 02:59 PM.