littleoldch
Appeal03

Latest update
21 March 2005

topbar

A BRIEF HISTORY

There has been a church building on the site since 1280 A.D.  The Parish Church of St. Mary was linked with the parish of St. Mary, Prestwich, until the 19th Century.  The first mention of Church Wardens in the records of the parish church is in 1552.  The 4 Wardens represent the townships of Oldham, Royton, Chadderton and Crompton.

In the 13th Century a small chapel stood on the site replaced by an early English Gothic Church in the 15th Century.

ch1780
With the Industrial Revolution the population of the area increased at a dramatic rate

 

OLDHAM

PAROCHIAL CHAPELRY
(including Royton, Chaddertonand Crompton)

1714

under 2,000

 3,615

1792

9,480

15,776

1831

 32,381

 50, 513

P101000402
The present building dates from 1830 and was designed in the Gothic Style by Richard Lane, a Manchester Architect.
The cost of building was £30,000.00, one third of which was spent on the crypt structure.
Designs by Mr Barry, later to become Sir Charles Barry the designer of the House of Commons, although far superior, were rejected

THE RECORDS.

Until recently all parish records which date back to 1558 were held in the church. 
In 1997 most of the registers for Baptism, Weddings and Funerals, were deposited in the Diocesan Archives which are held in the Central Library, St. Peter`s Square, Manchester. These can be examined and searched at the appropriate times.

The Oldham Local Interest Centre holds microfilm copies of the records.