Roman settlement in the Bush Hill Park area close to Ermine Street, which was the Roman road from London to York.
Roman remains from the third century found at Churchfields, Edmonton.
790 King Offa recorded as giving Edmonton to St Alban’s Abbey
794/ 5 The Lea Valley established as a front line between the Kingdoms of Alfred and Guthrum
1290 Funeral procession of Queen Eleanor of Castile, wife of King Edward I passed through Enfield
1303 Edward I granted the first market charter giving the right to hold a weekly market at Enfield and two fairs annually to Humphrey de Bohun, the Lord of the Manor of Enfield
1349 The Black Death struck Enfield and by December had decimated the population of Enfield.
1362 A second outbreak of plague struck Enfield.
1371 Existence of a settlement recorded at Southgate ("Suthgate")
1425 Act of Parliament for improving the navigation between London and Hertford. Appointment of commissioners to deal with obstructions in the course of the river.
1471 The Battle of Barnet fought on the edge of Enfield Chase near the village of Monken Hadley
1539 Elsynge became a royal palace when Henry VIII put pressure on the owner, the Earl of Rutland, to exchange it for other properties.
1557 Enfield Grammar School, Church Walk founded.
1564 1568 and 1572 Queen Elizabeth stayed at Elsinge
1571 Act of Parliament for improving navigation between London and Ware. The river was scoured and embanked in certain areas. By 1577 a pound lock (one of the earliest in the country) had been built at Waltham Abbey.
1581 Attempts to sabotage the river. The banks were cut near Green Street and there was an attempt to burn the lock at Waltham. The unrest was led by Enfield maltmen who had lost business because of malt and barley being carried by river instead of by road.
1606 New River Company set up by Act of Parliament to bring fresh water from springs near Ware to London. Construction began c1608/9 and was complete by 1613.
1618 James I granted Enfield a market charter to which the present market traces its origins.
1624 Latymer School, Haselbury Road founded.
1629 - 1632 Forty Hall built by Sir Nicholas Rainton
1632 Enfield Town Market Place created.
1656 Enfield Chase sold off primarily to army officers
1659 Disturbances at Enfield Chase over subsequent enclosures
1682 Clarendon Arch and Tunnel built.
1719 Enfield Parish Workhouse established. Completely rebuilt in 1827. Now the Enfield Community Care Centre
1731/2 Edmonton Parish Workhouse built. Closed and demolished after the opening of the Edmonton Union Workhouse (Silver Street) in 1842.
1753 The Elizabeth Canning case. She falsely claimed to have been kidnapped and imprisoned at a house close to the junction of Welches Lane (Ordnance Road) and the Hertford Road. Initially her story was believed and led to arrests and convictions. She was later found to have lied and was charged with perjury, convicted and sentenced to transportation.
1790 Friends Meeting House, Church Hill, Winchmore Hill built.
1791 Whitewebbs House built by Dr Abraham Wilkinson
1796 Millfield House, Silver Street built.
1797 Grovelands, The Bourne built as a private house for Walker Gray, a Quaker brewer from Tottenham, designed by John Nash with grounds by Humphry Repton. After Gray's death the property was acquired by John Donnithorne Taylor whose family continued to live at Grovelands up to World War I. Part of the estate was purchased by Southgate Council in 1913 to become Grovelands Park. The house became a hospital in 1916 and is now a private psychiatric hospital. The rest of the estate was sold for building.
1803 Enfield Enclosure Act
1809 Grout and Baylis' black crape mill established at the junction of South Street and Scotland Green Road, Ponders End.
1813 St Paul's C of E Primary School, Ringwood Way founded.
1815 Royal Small Arms Factory established at Enfield Lock.
1818 Latymer All Saints C of E Primary School, Church Street founded.
1827 Enfield Parish Workhouse, Chase Side Crescent built. Now the Enfield Community Care Centre.
1827/28 St Paul, Church Hill, Winchmore Hill built.
1831 St James, Hertford Road, Enfield Highway built.
1833 St James's C of E Primary School, Frederick Crescent founded.
1835 Jesus Church, Forty Hill built.
1837 Implementation of the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834. Edmonton and Enfield lost their powers regarding poor relief to the Edmonton Board of Guardians.
1839 Christ Church, Chalk Lane, Cockfosters built.
1839 St Andrew's C of E Primary School, London Road opened.
1840 Opening of the first section of the Cambridge main line from Stratford to Broxbourne. Stations at Angel Road and Ponders End.
1841 St Matthew's C of E Primary School, South Street opened.
1842 Edmonton Union Workhouse, Silver Street built. Now the North Middlesex Hospital.
1847 Gas works opened at Angel Road, Edmonton.
1849 Opening of branch line from Angel Road to Enfield Town with intermediate station on Edmonton Green.
1850 Edmonton and Enfield both adopted the 1848 Public Health Act, setting up directly elected local boards of health.
1850 Opening of first section of main line from London to Peterborough. Stations at New Southgate and Potters Bar.
1851 Forty Hill C of E Primary School, Forty Hill opened.
1855 Enfield Waterworks set up.
1885 St James's C of E Primary School, Grove Street founded.
1855 River Lee Water Act authorised a new lock at Amwell Marsh and the removal of Stanstead Lock. Edmonton Lock was to be removed and Picketts Lock rebuilt.
1857 St John, Clay Hill built.
1859 Gas works opened at Ponders End.
1863 Christ Church, Waterfall Road, Southgate built.
1865 St Michael's C of E Primary School, Brigadier Hill opened as the Holly Bush Infant School.
1866 St Michael at Bowes C of E Primary School, Tottenhall Road opened as the Tile Kiln Lane School.
1867 North Middlesex Waterworks built. Palmers Green shown on the Ordnance Survey map as a hamlet consisting of The Fox and a cluster of cottages where Fox Lane and Hazelwood Lane join Green Lanes. To the south, in the area around the Cock Tavern lay the hamlet of Bowes.
1871 Opening of branch line from Wood Green to Enfield. Station built in Aldermans Hill to serve Palmers Green, the nearest houses were nearly a quarter of a mile away and most of the land consisted of large estates whose owners had no intention of selling for building.
1872 Opening of direct line from London via Bethnal Green, Hackney Downs and Seven Sisters. Linked up with 1849 branch line at Lower Edmonton.
1874 St George's C of E Primary School, Hertford Road opened.
1875 Bush Hill Waterworks set up.
1875 Enfield Cottage Hospital, Chase Side opened. Sold for redevelopment in 1984.
c.1879 Bycullah Waterworks set up.
1880 Edmonton School Board set up under the terms of the 1870 Education Act.
1880 Opening of Bush Hill Park station to serve a new housing development.
1880 Opening of Bowes Park station to serve a new housing development.
1881 Separation of Southgate from Edmonton. This was achieved by a private Act of Parliament, following a prolonged campaign for separation. Establishment of the Southgate Local Board of Health.
1881 Opening of horse tramway from Stamford Hill to Ponders End. Depot at Tramway Avenue.
1882 Brettenham Primary School, Brettenham Road opened.
1883 St Mary Magdalene, Windmill Hill built.
1885 St Andrew's C of E Primary School, Chase Road opened.
1885/90 Highlands, Worlds End Lane, built as an isolation hospital.
1886 Chase Farm hospital built, originally as a Poor Law orphanage. It became a hospital in 1939.
1886 Ediswan took over the former jute mill at Duck Lees Lane, Ponders End and began manufacturing light bulbs and later radio valves.
1888 St Mary's RC Primary School, Alma Road opened.
1889 Establishment of Middlesex County Council. (Local government at county level had previously been carried out by the county magistrates meeting at quarter sessions)
1889 St John's C of E Primary School, Clay Hill built.
1891 Opening of Southbury Loop from Edmonton to Cheshunt with stations at Southbury Road and Turkey Street.
1894 Establishment of the Enfield School Board.
1895 Implementation of the 1894 Local Government Act. The local boards of health for Edmonton, Enfield and Southgate were replaced by urban district councils.
1896 Bush Hill Park Primary School, Main Avenue opened.
1896 Raynham Primary School, Raaynham Avenue opened.
1897 Alma Primary School, Alma Road built.
1897 Chesterfield Primary School, Chesterfield Road opened.
1897 Central Library in Fore Street Edmonton opened.
1899 Eldon Primary School, Eldon Road opened.
1899/1903 St Luke, Browning Road built.
1901 Bowes Primary School, Bowes Road built.
1901 Chase Side Primary School, Trinity Street opened.
1901 Our Lady of Mount Carmel and St George, London Road opened.
1902 Beginning of the development of Palmers Green when large tracts of land formerly owned by the Taylors of Grovelands were sold for building. The first area to be developed was the Old Park Estate between Fox Lane and Aldermans Hill. At the same time building work began on the Hazelwood Park Estate between Hazelwood Lane and Hedge Lane. 1903 Banbury and Lockwood Reservoirs completed.
1903 Brimsdown Power Station opened.
1903 Houndsfield Primary School, Houndsfield Road built.
1903 St George's RC Primary School, Cecil Road opened.
1903 St Aldhelm, Silver Street, Edmonton built.
1904/1909 St John, Green Lanes, Palmers Green built.
1905 Extension of electric trams from Tottenham to Edmonton (Tramway Avenue)
1905 Southbury Primary School, Swansea Road opened.
1905/7 St Edmund RC Church, Hertford Road built.
1906 Extension of electric trams from Tramway Avenue to Freezywater (via Hertford Road)
1906 and 1916 St Stephen, Village Road built.
1907 Electricity supplied to the Enfield Town area.
1907 Extension of electric trams from Bounds Green to New Southgate (Station Road)
and from Wood Green to Winchmore Hill (Green Dragon)
1908 Clappers Green Farm (between Fox Lane and Bourne Hill) was sold. Part was acquired by Middlesex County Council forming the site of the Southgate County School. The rest was sold for building.
1908 Extension of electric trams from Freezywater to Waltham Cross
1908 Hazelwood Primary School, Hazelwood Lane opened.
1908 Holy Family Convent RC Secondary School, London Road founded.
1909 Eastfield Primary School, Eastfield Road opened.
1909 Extension from New Southgate to North Finchley.
Extension from Winchmore Hill to Enfield Town (via Ridge Avenue and Village Road)
1909 Withdrawal of passenger services on Southbury Loop because of tramway competition. (The service was temporarily re-instated 1915/19 for use of munitions workers)
1909 Enfield County School, Holly Walk opened.
1910 Enfield Highway Library, opened.
1910 Lavender Primary School, Lavender Road opened.
1910 Opening of railway extension from Enfield to Cuffley. Stations at Grange Park, Enfield Chase, Gordon Hill and Crews Hill.
1911 The Lodge estate (between Hazelwood Lane and Oakthorpe Road) was sold off for building.
1911 Railway extension from Ponders End to Enfield Town (via Southbury Road)
1912 Belling began manufacturing electric fires in Lancaster Road, Enfield.
1912 Central Library, Cecil Road, Enfield opened.
1912 George Spicer Primary School, Southbury Road opened.
1912 St Edmund's RC Primary School, Hertford Road, Edmonton opened.
1913 First electric street lighting in the Enfield area completed (at Green Lanes, Winchmore Hill)
1913 King George V Reservoir completed.
1914 St Monica RC Church, Green Lanes opened.
1914 Tottenhall School, Tottenhall Road built.
1914 Winchmore Primary School, Highfield Road opened.
1920 Re-organisation of Liverpool Street suburban services to ease rush hour overcrowding on Enfield Town and Chingford trains.
1921 St Mary RC Church, Nags Head Road opened.
1922/3 Reconstruction of locks etc. between Enfield and Hertford. The width was increased from 13ft 3in to 16ft and the length increased to 90ft.
1928 Raglan School, Raglan Road opened.
1930 Piccadilly Line Cockfosters Extension sanctioned.
1931 Edmonton County School, Great Cambridge Road built.
1931/32 Hazelbury Primary School, Haselbury Road opened.
1932 Piccadilly Line extension opened as far as Arnos Grove.
1933 Southgate became a borough.
1933 Piccadilly Line extension completed to Southgate, Oakwood and Cockfosters.
1934 Raglan Infant School, Raglan Road opened.
1934 Suffolks Primary School, Brick Lane opened.
1935 Our Lady of Lourdes, Bowes Road opened.
1935 Work started on the Girling Reservoir, work completed in 1951.
1936 De Bohun Primary School, Green Road opened.
1936 Christ the King, Bramley Road RC chapel registered for public worship.
1937 Galliard Primary School, Galliard Road opened.
1937 Edmonton became a borough.
1937 Houndsfield Road Library, Edmonton opened.
1937 Oakthorpe Primary School, Tile Kiln Lane opened.
1938 All tram routes in Edmonton and Enfield converted for trolleybus operation (except for the Southbury Road route which was taken over by motor buses)
1938 Arnos School (later Broomfield), Wilmer Way opened.
1938 Weir Hall Library, Edmonton opened. Demolished for road widening and replaced in 1988.
1939 Albany School, Bell Lane built.
1939 Brimsdown Primary School, Green Street opened.
1939 De Bohun, Green Road and Bowes Road libraries opened.
1940 Merryhills Primary School, Bincote Road opened.
1940 Palmers Green Library opened as part of the Southgate Town Hall complex.
1941 St Peter, Vera Avenue, Grange Park built.
1941 St Thomas, Sheringham Avenue, Oakwood built, completed in 1965.
1948 Bush Hill Park Library opened.
1948 Cuckoo Hall Primary School, Cuckoo Hall Lane opened.
1949 Carterhatch Primary School opened.
1950 Prince of Wales Primary School, Salisbury Road opened.
1951 Grange Park Primary School, Worlds End Lane opened.
1951 Honilands Primary School, Lovell Road opened.
1953 Walker Primary School, Waterfall Road opened.
1953 Wilbury Primary School, Wilbury Way opened.
1954 Eversley Infant School, Chaseville Park Road opened.
1954 Firs Farm Primary School, Rayleigh Road opened.
1954 St Monica's RC Primary School, Cannon Road opened.
1954 Worcesters Primary School, Goat Lane opened.
1955 Enfield became a borough.
1956 Chace School, Churchbury Lane opened.
1956 Winchmore School, Highfield Road opened.
1957 Eversley Junior School, Chaseville Park Road opened.
1957 Fleecefield Primary School, Brettenham Road opened.
1957 Bullsmoor, Kempe Road Library opened.
1958 Capel Manor Primary School, Bullsmoor Lane opened.
1960 Electrification from Liverpool Street to Enfield Town, Chingford, Hertford East and Bishops Stortford. Re-opening of Southbury Loop.
1960 Southgate School, Sussex Way opened.
1961 All trolleybus routes in Enfield and Edmonton taken over by motor buses. Removal of overhead wires.
1961 Winchmore Hill Library opened.
1962 Ponders End Library opened.
1963 Ridge Avenue Library opened.
1964 Merryhills Library, Enfield Road opened.
1964 Our Lady of Walsingham, Holtwhites Hill registered for public worship.
1965 Hadley Wood Primary School, Courtleigh Avenue opened.
1965 Implementation of the London Government Act of 1963. Enfield, Edmonton and Southgate merged to form the London Borough of Enfield. Abolition of Middlesex County Council. Formation of the Greater London Council.
1966 Southgate Library opened.
1967 Bishop Stopford C of E Secondary School, Brick Lane opened.
1967 Kingsmead School, Southbury Road opened.
1968 St Ignatius RC Secondary School for boyss moved to Turkey Street from Stamford Hill.
1969 Electrification of Lea Valley line between Clapton and Cheshunt.
1971 Our Lady of Lourdes RC Primary School, The Limes Avenue opened.
1972 Aylward School, Windmill Road built.
1974 Building started on Churchfield Primary School, Latymer Road.
1974 Garfield Primary School, Springfield Road opened.
1974 St Angela's RC Secondary School for girls moved to Oakthorpe Road from Wood Green.
1976 Ordnance Road Library opened.
1977 Bullsmoor School, Bullsmoor Lane built.
1982 Salisbury School, Turin Road opened.
1986 Abolition of the Greater London Council. The powers were distributed among the London boroughs and a range of joint committees
1988 New Weir Hall Library and Millfield Theatre opened.
1991 Edmonton Green Library opened. Houndsfield and Fore Street closed.
This document was last updated on 2007-01-02 11:34:52 published by the Libraries team. Document Reference:LBE_112644