|Simple and easy to use
||One of the MTR's Customer Service Centre where you can purchase the Octopus Card
||Just wave you Octopus Card over the Octopus Reader (even if it's in your wallet or handbag!), payments will be deducted instantly! (Provided that you have enough funds in the Card)
||This reader can check the balance of the Octopus Card.
Usage: To pay public transportation fees (except Taxis and some public minibuses), as well as retailers who accept Octopus, such as convenience stores or restaurants.
Debuted in 1997, the Octopus Card instantly became widely used in the public, as it simplified the transporation payment process to take only a couple of seconds! No need to carry coins, pay in exact fees, it's simple. Want to prove how popular it is? There are now over 10 million Octopus Cards in circulation, which exceeds Hong Kong's population of 7 million!
How to purchase:
- The Octopus Card can be purchased from any public transportation company's customer service centre, such as MTR's or KCR's.
- When first purchasing the Octopus Card, HK$50 is included as refundable deposit, and the remaining value will be stored in the card for normal payments.
Price of Octopus Card (HK$):
- Adult: Deposit $50 + Stored Value $100 = Price HK$150
- Child: Deposit $50 + Stored Value $20 = Price HK$70
- Senior: Deposit $50 + Stored Value $20 = Price HK$70
In addition, there are two types of Airport Express Tourist Octopus:
- Airport Express One Free Single Journey + 3 days unlimited travel on MTR + $50 deposit + Stored value $20 = Price HK$220
- Airport Express Two Free Single Journeys # + 3 days unlimited travel on MTR + $50 deposit + Stored value $20 = Price HK$300
- # Valid for 180 days after purchase
- Usable in MTR, KCR, Light Rail, Trams, Peak Trams, Star Ferry, Buses, some minibuses, convenience stores such as 7-11, Circle K, supermarkets, fast food outlets, or public telephone booths
- Just wave you Octopus Card over the Octopus Reader (even if it's in your wallet or handbag), payments will be deducted instantly (Provided that you have enough funds in the Card). The reader will also tell you the new balance of the Octopus Card.
- Remember to top-up your card when the balance drops to zero or negative, otherwise you cannot use your card to make payments
- You can top-up the card at any public transportation company's Customer Service Centres, MTR or KCR stations' Octopus Add-Value machines or convenience stores such as 7-11 or Circle K.
To return the card:
- Simply return it to any public transportation company's Customer Service Centres, then you can obtain the remaining balance and deposit.
- As the octopus Card is still valid for three years after the last top-up date, you may retain the card as souvenir or for your next visit to Hong Kong!
Please note that information provided above is for reference only, please contact the related transport providers for more detailed and accurate information.