Erfworld 85 Parson's Klog, Page 8
Order of the Stick 506 Flanking Crush

The Duke's Wolf, Part Four by Amber E. Scott
The Duke's Wolf, Part Three by Amber E. Scott
The Duke's Wolf, Part Two by Amber E. Scott

The Gleaner by Keith Baker
'Deadeye' Deegan and the Longshot Clan by Amber E. Scott
The New World, Part 9: Barbarians by Rich Burlew

Welcome to the Giant in the Playground Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link below. You will have to register before you can post: click the register link below to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the section below.

Go Back   Giant in the Playground Forums > Gaming > Gaming (d20 and General RPG)

Gaming (d20 and General RPG) An all-purpose board for discussions of the d20 system and other role-playing games. If you're looking to join a game, post in the Play forum.

Old 04-04-2006, 02:35 PM   #1
AtomicKitKat
Ogre in the Playground

Default Fire me boy!(PEACE)

Now that I've got your attention, allow me to present my Prestige Class to you. ;D

The Living Bullets is an odd organisation. Its membership includes creatures as diverse as minotaurs, satyrs, and even the odd human. There are even rumours that shape-shifted dragons have infiltrated the ranks. However, all its members share one common vice: an addiction to speed(No, not the drug :P)

The Living Bullet
Pre-requisites: Dodge, Mobility, Run.
Saves: Fortitude +5 Reflex +5

HD: D10
BAB: 3/4(As Cleric)
Saves: Good(Fortitude, Reflex) Poor(Will)
Skill points: 2+Int per level
Class Skills: Balance, Intimidate, Jump, Swim, Tumble

1 Full Speed Ahead! Increased Speed
2 DR 1/- , Endurance
3 Increased Speed
4 DR 2/- , Improved Initiative
5 Increased Speed, Stunning Charge
6 DR 3/- , Hard Target
7 Increased Speed
8 DR 4/- Unstoppable
9 Increased Speed Cheetah Sprint
10 Blow Them Down DR 5/-

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Living Bullet gains no weapon proficiencies. They also gain Light Armor Proficiency and Light Shield Proficiency. However, none of a Living Bullet's abilities work with any armour heavier than Light. They also do not apply to attacks while mounted.

Full Speed Ahead: At 1st level, a Living Bullet can make a shield bash/unarmed strike(which does not provoke AoO for that strike) with 1.5*Strength bonus at the end of a charge. However he provokes Attacks of Opportunity for moveing through threatened tiles. Shield does damage equal to its AC bonus, unarmed strike is as normal(does non-lethal unless character has IUS, in which case they can choose. Use monk damage if higher. Natural attack such as a Gore may be used instead). Does an additional 1d4 damage per 10 feet moved as part of the charge. Maximum of 1d4 bonus damage per level in this class.

Increased Speed: Living Bullets train constantly to improve their speed, moving ever faster. +5 feet movement at 1st level, and every 2 levels after that.

Damage Reduction: Starting at 2nd level, a Living Bullet gains the ability to shrug off blows. Damage Reduction increases by 1 for every 2 levels after that.

Endurance: Living Bullets are constantly improving their stamina. At 2nd level, a Living Bullet gains Endurance as a Bonus Feat.

Improved Initiative: A Living Bullet is constantly seeking new targets to smash through. At 4th level, the Living Bullet gains Improved Initiative as a Bonus Feat.

Stunning Charge: A Living Bullet hits hard. At 5th level, the attack at the end of the charge leaves the target staggered until after their next turn.

Hard Target: At 6th level, the Living Bullet now moves so fast that he gains a +1 Dodge Bonus to AC for every 10 feet moved that round until the start of his next turn.

Unstoppable: At 8th level, the Living Bullet has become so confident in his speed that he can actually dash right over water. Water no longer stops his movement, although he may not end his turn in a water square, and each square costs twice as much movement(that is, 10 feet of movement for every 5 feet crossed).

Cheetah Sprint: The living bullet can charge at ten times speed(That is, if you have a movement of 50 feet after adding Increased Speed, you may run 500 feet in one round once per hour). He may use this ability once per day per Constitution modifier, but no more than once per hour.

Blow Them Down: At 10th level, a Living Bullet doesn't let even his enemies stand in his way. If his charge ends in an opponent's square, the Living Bullet makes an overrun attempt. The Living Bullet gets +1 on the check for every 10 feet moved, up to his level in this class. If the target loses the check, it is knocked prone(and staggered) into an adjacent square(or squares, roll d6, 1-2=left, 3-4=right, 5-6=backwards). If the Living Bullet loses the check, he falls prone in the last unoccupied square he was in(or below it, if he was charging from above ground). If the target is knocked into an occupied square(s), make another overrun attempt against the occupant(s), with the same bonus as before, but subtract 1. Keep doing this until all targets are in unoccupied squares or you fall prone. The additional targets each take 1 point of non-lethal damage, and are not staggered even if they are knocked prone. The Living Bullet is staggered after this maneouvre.

I realise that a character who can run 1/10 mile in a single round may seem overpowered at first, but he can only do it once per hour, and then he still has to wait for his companions to show up(and possibly save his rear-end). Additionally, Blow Them Down is an all-or-nothing ability. Either you fall, or you take down the opponent. ;D

PS: PEACE=Please Evaluate And Comment Enthusiastically. :P

Edit: Added HD, thanks El Jaspero. Anyone think D10 is too much? I think D12 is a little too much, and D8 seems too little for a class that's primarily about ramming into people(even though it gets a decent amount of DR).

Edit 2: Reduced the damage to 1d4. I really cannot think of any other skills that would fit into this class. When you're running at 60mph, it's kind of difficult to observe anything near you(Listen/Search/Spot) I did intentionally give them Cheetah Run and allow it to stack with Full Speed Ahead, but I can't really think of a proper way to adjust it. *Quick Idea* I changed it to cap the number of dice at level*d4. I changed Stunning Charge to simply daze the target. I now need a new name for it(although I always thought of Dazed as being just a little below Stun anyways), although being both Dazed and Prone is probably bad enough.

Edit 3: Blow Them Down now works a bit more like a sort of Awesome Blow Lite(combined with the penalties of the jumping charge from Unapproachable East, I think). On the other hand, I beefed it up a little. You could knock down an entire army of soldiers in one hit. But after the 10th roll or so, the odds of you falling down are pretty solid. On the other hand, the opponents would still need to move around their fallen companions(moving through a square with a prone companion might count as double movement, not sure)

Edit 4: Reworded so they gain Light Shield Proficiency. This should allow them to use the Buckler and any of the shields listed as "Light X Shield" in the SRD. The thought of a Bullet using a Heavy or Tower Shield while running around is a little weird.

Edit 5: Reading through my PHB/DMG, I got a better understanding of the rules of Overrun, and figured Staggered is probably a good enough condition(they have to spend the whole next turn getting up, and cannot do anything else).

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
Wren Worgatar by Mephibosheth
The Living Bullet!
Unusual Inner Animal Avatar from Quincunx.
Whenever you mention Pun-pun*SQUELCH!*, Ao kills another Kobold.
Everytime someone says "Pazuzu" twice, Ao erases them on the next "Pa". Then he undeletes them so he can wipeinfo them from the multiverse.
Everytime you kill a catgirl, I get more company.
AtomicKitKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 02:42 PM   #2
Rei_Jin
Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Fire me boy!(PEACE)

Awesome!

I've never seen a build like this, and at first glance it seems nicely balanced, although it would need to be playtested to be sure...

[In other news, W00T! 2001 posts!]

In the first step: the player wields the Stilton Bearded Cheese
In the second step: the Stilton Bearded Cheese becomes one with the player
In the third step: the player transcends the need for Stilton Bearded Cheese, and only the purity of the game remains

Poetic Rei_Jin, quite poetic.
Rei_Jin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 02:43 PM   #3
Hadrian_Emrys
Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Strikes me as a strange PrC for monks that makes use of all that inhumanoid speed.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:44 PM   #4
El Jaspero, the Pirate King
Bugbear in the Playground

Hit dice?

A Nobody in the Playground

Spoiler
El Jaspero, the Pirate King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 02:47 PM   #5
Hadrian_Emrys

NecromancerGirl

I'd guess a d8-d10.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:50 PM   #6
Freeman333

SPOOOOON!

Okay, I just had to say it. Anyway, I like the class. I'm not much of a judge of balance, but there are a few things that seem overpowered to me. Cheetah Run being usable once per hour rather than once per day is the first, and the most easily corrected. Also, making every charge a stunning attack seems potentially problematic, since even monks, for whom the ability is designed, only get a few uses per day. Limiting the number of stunning attacks per day to something like the Living Bullet's Con modifier or class levels divided by two might balance it more.

The description of Full Speed Ahead left me a little confused. Does this ability add 1d6 damage per 10 feet of charge distance for any charge attack? That could be potentially devastating, especially when combined with the cheetah run. An additional 50d6, in the example you gave? Yeesh. However, I'm guessing that this is simply my misinterpretation of your writing, rather than an actual flaw in the class itself, so I'll leave it up to you to clear up my misunderstanding.

Also, some feats/abilities you might want to consider either making part of the class benefits or requirments for entry, as they all relate to this theme: improved bull rush, improved overrun, trample, improved shield bash, shield charge, improved shield charge (I may be making that one up but there's something in the Complete Warrior similar to that, I think), and jump attack (for Living Bullets who want to attack out of the air--just like the real one!).

To conclude: SPOOOOOOOON! (One of my favorite lines from the cartoon: Tick proposes firing himself out of Living Bullet's cannon with a triple-strength charge to produce a sonic boom. Living Bullet: "No normal human could survive that!" Tick: "I'm betting I'm just abnormal enough to make it.")
Old 04-04-2006, 02:59 PM   #7
Rei_Jin
Troll in the Playground

Ok, after having had a second look at it, I have a few suggestions.

First off, make it so that you can't use Cheetah Sprint in conjunction with Full Speed Ahead. Otherwise I can see a character DD away and run like hell into his foes.

Next, the Hitdie should be a d8, and the skills should get bumped up to 4+int mod. This guy isn't going to be able to survive spells well, but he is tough (Hence the DR).

The skills also show that he isn't just a fool running at people like a kamikaze pilot.

The Stunning charge is a nice idea, but I would alter it so that it works like the Monks Stunning Fist, and levels of Monk stack with it.

I would probably try and find some way to grant him Powerful Build. That would treat him as being 1 size larger in regards to grappling, bullrushes, overrun, etc, without making his damage insane.

In the third step: the player transcends the need for Stilton Bearded Cheese, and only the purity of the game remains

Old 04-04-2006, 03:11 PM   #8
Seffbasilisk
Troll in the Playground

What Rei Jin said, only instead of not letting Cheetah Sprint be used with Full Speed Ahead, how about a fort save if you combine them to not be stunned for 1 round? 5% of the time you'll be stunned...

And I'd make Cheetah Sprint 1/day (4) then 2/day (7) 3/day (10). 1/hour is a little weird.

"Boy, sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don'tchya think?" -Jayne
Greatest number of kills In Valhalla Round 1 with Hsams Goht

Delicious Avvy by Ink
Seffbasilisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 03:17 PM   #9
Jothki

Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei Jin
The skills also show that he isn't just a fool running at people like a kamikaze pilot.
Uh, he isn't?
Jothki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 03:21 PM   #10
Rei_Jin
Troll in the Playground

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seffbasilisk
What Rei Jin said.
I never get tired of hearing that! I just keep hearing it these days...

Old 04-04-2006, 04:14 PM   #11
AtomicKitKat
Ogre in the Playground

Okay, I'm back. I should add that this class was mostly inspired by the number of "Centaur Monk=bullet" posts in a thread a couple weeks back, just that I only put it on paper(so to speak) a few hours ago. Multiple Edits later, please include more suggestions on how I can balance out the running speed with the charge effects. I've already capped the damage(and Strength check bonuses) to the class levels. Anything else?

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
The Living Bullet!
Everytime someone says "Pazuzu" twice, Ao erases them on the next "Pa". Then he undeletes them so he can wipeinfo them from the multiverse.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:31 PM   #12
HempRope
Troll in the Playground

I mostly like this... but I think Hard Target is just too much. Maybe they should get a bonus against AoOs, but not having them is really just too much. Characters traditionally only avoid them by maintaining their poise and defense as they move, and this PrC seems all about throwing all of the character's weight into a move. While the speed might make them harder to hit, honestly, I don't think it should grant them protection from AoOs.

So do it with your mouth open
And take your foot off of the brake
HempRope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 08:05 PM   #13
8bit_thief
Orc in the Playground

In regard to what the previous poster said, maybe give them mobility? That sounds about right for this build. Also, maybe find a way to give them flipping attack (from the function). It also seems to fit.

Thief
Old 04-05-2006, 01:59 AM   #14
AtomicKitKat
Ogre in the Playground

The "No AoOs" only applies when he charges. If he runs, but doesn't make an attack at the end of it(or whatever kind of movement that is not a charging attack), he still gets AoOed. He will likely also provoke a ton of AoOs picking himself up in the middle of an army of angry pikemen. ;D

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
The Living Bullet!
Old 04-05-2006, 12:46 PM   #15
larnman2
Orc in the Playground

I think this is one of the better home brewed PrCs that I have seen here. Some of the ones that I have seen are just ridiculous.
larnman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 03:30 PM   #16
Spuddly
Banned

According to my calculations, a barbarian with a light load of this PrC can go 52 miles in a 10 hour day.
Spuddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 02:48 AM   #17
AtomicKitKat
Ogre in the Playground

27, 456 feet(5.2 miles) an hour? The average soldier moves at about 3-4 km/h while marching. Your Barbarian is moving at a little over twice that speed. On the other hand, he's probably not carrying about 10-15kgs(22-33lbs) of things.

Anyways, I've updated the first post with a few changes. Please look at it again and give new critique. ;D

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
The Living Bullet!
Old 04-11-2006, 04:13 AM   #18
Goumindong
Ogre in the Playground

You know, i dont think the Cheatah Sprint and "Full Speed Ahead" present much of a problem.

I mean, when are you going to have 500 feet of unhindered straight ground between you and your enemy?

And when you do, how often are they not going to have an army behind them?

The combo is powerful (as is anything that increases run speed, i could envision 100's of d4 damage using that combo under the right situation), but so limited it wont be that usefull, and in normal play will be limited to more reasonable amounts like 10d4-20d4, which isnt bad for a 1/encounter attack from a melee (25-50 avg extra damage) character.
Goumindong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 03:17 AM   #19
fireinthedust

Wait a minute: Ok, the guy can run fast. so can other classes, sort of.

but we're talking about the HUMAN BULLET!! all of these are running abilities. Where's the flying leap? the fastball special?

at the least: REDUCED FALLING DAMAGE, OR IMPACT FROM FALLING OR BLUDGEONING. DR is a nice start, but specifically smaler amounts of falling damage would be nice.

and it should be more of a fighter-based PRC. that way they wear heavier armour. Monks are ok, but human bullet is a bit of a tank-armour thing, y'know?
Old 04-12-2006, 12:47 PM   #20
AtomicKitKat
Ogre in the Playground

Actually, this class would more accurately be termed "Living Cannonball", but when I say Living Bullet, I mean the guy is a flesh-and-blood slingstone. ;D

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
The Living Bullet!
Old 04-12-2006, 12:57 PM   #21
fireinthedust

would this guy do well with boots of striding and sprining? that'd be great. Maybe rocket boots.

extra feats for the class would round things out as well. Like a feat for if they're airborne: they can roll an attack that does their falling damage to whatever they hit (like 100ft is 10d6); they get a saving throw (dc25?) to not take the damage themselves as well. They could fly up and drop on stuff. :)
Old 12-15-2006, 12:23 PM   #22
Gryndle
Pixie in the Playground

I'd likely allow it in my campaign. However I'd call it simply, the Charger.

My only real balance concern would be the combination of this PrC and any class with Skirmish.

Whatever you nail with your charge/skirmish is really, really gonna hurt.
Gryndle is offline   Reply With Quote