09 August 2007
POSTAL STRIKES SUSPENDED
ROYAL MAIL STRIKES SUSPENDED
Following a meeting held today between Royal Mail and CWU a Joint Statement has been agreed that means detailed discussions will take place on all the relevant issues between the two parties.
As a result the next wave of Royal Mail strikes due to commence today after 19.00 hrs are suspended.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE INDUSTRIAL ACTION SCHEDULED AT POL CROWN OFFICES, INCLUDING TODAY�S STRIKE AT 2.30PM, ARE STILL GOING AHEAD UNLESS OTHERWISE ADVISED. For further updates please visit www.cwu.org/links/poldispute2007
The Joint Statement is as follows:-
Joint Statement � Royal Mail Dispute
At a meeting today between Allan Leighton, Adam Crozier, Billy Hayes and Dave Ward, it was agreed:
- that both parties commit to talks on all the issues between them, hosted and facilitated by the TUC. Both sides commit to reach an agreement by 4 September.
- that, during this period the talks are on a confidential basis with no media or internal briefings unless explicitly jointly agreed. The CWU Executive and Royal Mail Board will receive regular updates on progress and would also be expected to undertake this confidentiality clause.
- that, for that period, Royal Mail will not serve notice or take any unilateral action to impose changes by executive action.
- that, for that period CWU will suspend industrial action.
- that, the signatories to this joint statement will review the process as and when necessary.
The statement is signed by Allan Leighton and Adam Crozier for Royal Mail and Billy Hayes, General Secretary and Dave Ward Deputy General Secretary for CWU.
CWU HQ Letter to Branches 721/07