Elbert County Historical Marker
Elbert County State Historical
Located at the Elbert County Courthouse,
- Created from Wilkes County by Act of Dec.
10, 1790, Elbert County was settled in 1784 by Gen. George Mathews
and a group from Virginia and Carolina. The site of Petersburg,
the original settlement and third largest town in Georgia in
its day, is covered by the Clark Hill Reservoir. Nancy Hart,
celebrated Revolutionary patriot, lived in this county. Elbert
County was named for Gen. Samuel Elbert, Revolutionary soldier
and Governor of Georgia (1785-1786). A native of South Carolina
and resident of Savannah (1778) and Brier Creek (1779).
- On Jan. 20, 1791, the first session of
Elbert County Superior Court was held at the home of Thos. A.
Carter on Beaverdam Creek, some 5 miles NW of here. George Walton,
Georgia signer of the Declaration of Independence, was presiding
judge. The Carter plantation house stands today. Nearby is the
family cemetery. First officers of Elbert County were: Matthew
Talbot, Clerk; Robert Middleton, Sheriff; Robert Cosby, Collector
of Taxes; W. Higginbottom, Register of Probate; Thos. Burton,
Receiver of Tax Returns; Richardson Hunt, Surveyor; James Tate,
HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1959
© Carl Vinson Institute of Government,
The Univesity of Georgia
Go to Georgia Historic Markers web site
to Elbert County Courthouse page
This page has been accessed times from sites outside the Institute since
October 26, 1999. This
page was last modified on .