Packet Pickup | Shuttles & Parking | Medical Info | Awards | Chip Timing | Race Questions
Rock the Valley of the Sun!
Staged in the Valley of the Sun, the P.F. Chang's® Rock 'n' Roll Arizona Marathon & 1/2 Marathon tours through three of Arizona's most vibrant cities. With perfect winter running weather and live music every mile, P.F. Chang's® Rock 'n' Roll Arizona is an event not to be missed!
- Marathon Wheelchair Start*: 7:30 a.m. [wheelchair rules]
- Marathon Start: 7:40 a.m.
- 1/2 Marathon Wheelchair Start*: 8:25 a.m. [wheelchair rules]
- 1/2 Marathon Start: 8:30 a.m.
*The Marathon and ½ Marathon Wheelchair start times are for racing wheelchairs ONLY. Participants racing in everyday wheelchairs will start at the regular start times (7:40 or 8:30 a.m.) and be positioned in corrals based on their projected finish times. NO hand-cycles will be allowed. Click here for complete wheelchair rules.
Average Weather Conditions
- Average High 65F°
- Average Low 40F°
Plan for cool, crisp temperatures at the start line - around 40 degrees. The average highs in January range from the mid 60s to about 70 degrees. Please check the race day weather forecast when you get into town and plan to dress accordingly.
- Upgrades will be accepted via email and phone until November 21st; early upgrade fee is $20. On November 22nd, we will be assigning bib numbers; therefore we can no longer make changes in the system. Once bibs have been assigned, all upgrades must be taken care of at the Expo. (Expo upgrade fee is $35) To upgrade at the expo, please pick up your half marathon bib and proceed to the Upgrade table.
- Pick up your Race Number, Timing Chip, T-shirt and goodie bag at the Health & Fitness Expo presented by Fox 10/MY 45. The Expo is located at the Phoenix Convention Center and will be open to the public on Friday, January 11, 10 a.m. - 7 p.m., and Saturday, January 12, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m..
- Runners must show photo ID to pick up their race number and timing chip. You must pick up your own race packet.
- Packets will not be mailed.
Preferred Corral for Marathon Starters
The Marathon start will have a Preferred Corral position for participants that have run a qualifying marathon or half marathon time in 2006 or 2007. Click here for more.
- World Class Marathon & 1/2 Marathon
- 70 Live Bands and 40 Cheer Squads
- Boston Qualifier
- Perfect Winter Running Weather
- Fantastic Vacation Destination
- ChampionChip Timing
- Fabulous Finish Line Party
- Free Admission to Evening Headliner Concert
- Colorful Participant T-shirt
- Commenorative Finisher's Medal
- Official Finishers Certificate
- Awards 3-deep in All Age Divisions
Start Line Village
Located in Wesley Bolin Memorial Plaza in Downtown Phoenix
- Marathon Start — Washington Street (west of 14th Ave)
- 1/2 Marathon Start — Jefferson Street (east of 12th Ave.)
- Start Village Printable Map (161KB PDF)
At the Start Line Village you will find coffee compliments of Coffee Reserve, Chompie’s bagels, water, sports drink, medical support, UPS Gear Check and over 300 portable toilets. Directional signage and a corresponding color system will help point you to the correct race start: yellow for the marathon, blue for the half.
UPS Gear Check
What Brown Can Do For You!
Shed your layers at the start and pack dry clothes and your favorite post-race snack for the finish. UPS will move your gear from the start to finish — FREE! You'll receive a gear check bag and label at the Expo. Your goodie bag will serve as your gear bag on race day, and your gear label will be attached to your race number.
On race morning, UPS Gear Check will be set-up at the start and operating between 6:15 and 8:15 am. Look for the long row of brown UPS trucks — they will be arranged alphabetically and by truck number. Make sure you affix your personalized gear tag to your gear bag before you leave it at UPS Gear Check. While you run, UPS will transport your bag to the finish. You retrieve your bag at the UPS Gear Pick-up station located outside the finish line secure zones. Bags must be claimed by 3 pm on race day. DO NOT leave valuables, cash or jewelry in your gear bag; the event is not responsible for any lost items.
Start Line Corrals
The corral system assures a smooth start to your race. You are assigned a race number and corresponding corral based on your projected finish time. Each corral holds approximately 1,000 participants. Marathon participants will be invited to enter their corral around 7:00am, and half marathoners around 8:00am. If you believe that you have been have been assigned to the wrong corral, bring your race number to the Corral Change table in the registration area at the Expo. There will be NO corral changes on race morning.
Half-Marathon Wave Start
Due to its popularity, the half-marathon has a wave start. This will allow you plenty of "elbow room" along the course and at the finish line, without affecting your chip time or the time you have to complete the race. All 1/2 Marathon participants will still have the "4-hour time limit" to complete the course. Please note, the wave start will pertain to the 1/2 Marathon start ONLY — not the Marathon start.
Perfect Timing with
2004 Chip Design
- P.F. Chang's® Rock 'n' Roll Arizona Marathon & 1/2 Marathon utilizes the computerized ChampionChip timing system, which records each runner's actual running time to the second.
- Chip timing starts a runner's time when they reach the start line instead of when the gun goes off. Your finish time is calculated precisely when you cross the finish line.
- Marathoners will also receive a 10K, half marathon and 20 mile split time.
- All age group awards will be determined by chip time, but in accordance with USATF rules, all prize money awards and age group records will be determined by gun time.
- You must pick up your black loaner chip along with your race number at the Health & Music Expo on Friday, January 11th or Saturday, January 12th.
- You may also use your own ChampionChip or purchase the reusable yellow souvenir ChampionChip with a new 2008 P.F. Chang's Rock 'n' Roll Arizona Marathon & 1/2 Marathon design for $39 at Registration in the Expo. You may also purchase a chip while registering online, and then pick it up at Registration in the expo. You must, however, bring your personalized yellow chip to Registration at the Expo to be scanned along with your race number.
- All black loaner chips must be surrendered at the finish line.
- If you do not wear your computer chip you will not be timed and will not receive a finisher's certificate.
- For more information about how ChampionChip timing works visit www.championchip.com
Race Number and ChampionChip® Pick-Up
Race numbers and timing chips must be picked up at the Health & Fitness Expo; they cannot be mailed and will NOT be available for pick-up on race day. You must pick up your own race number and timing chip – NO EXCEPTIONS. Please plan your trip accordingly. You’ll need to show your race number to pick up your T-shirt and goodie bag.
Age Group Awards
The P. F. Chang’s Rock ‘n’ Roll Arizona offers a top marathon prize purse, totaling over $100,000. Prizes are awarded 10-deep in the Men and Women’s Invitational Race. Prize money is also awarded to the first-place male and female Masters (40+) and Wheelchair finishers. Wheelchair competitors must meet the qualifying time standards to be eligible for prize money, which is 2:05 for men and 2:35 for women.
Age group awards will be presented 3-deep in the following age divisions for the Marathon and 1/2 Marathon, for both male and female categories. All age group awards will be mailed within 4 to 6 weeks after the event. In accordance with USATF Rules, overall and cash awards will be determined by gun time while age group awards will be determined by chip time.
- 12 - 14
(1/2 Marathon only)
- 15 - 17
(1/2 Marathon only)
- 18 - 24
- 25 - 29
- 30 - 34
- 35 - 39
- 40 - 44
- 45 - 49
- 50 - 54
- 55 - 59
- 60 - 64
- 65 - 69
- 70 - 74
- 75 - 79
Southwest Airlines Pace Team
"Arrive on time" with Southwest Airlines and the Arizona Road Racers! They'll help you set the pace and get you to the finish in your goal time. To join a Pace Team, visit the Arizona Road Racers booth at the Expo. Pace groups offered this year include:
Music everywhere – and that’s a promise! With 70 bands and 40 cheer squads to cheer you on, you'll have that extra motivation to take you to the finish line. Click here for more...
The Finish Line
The Marathon & ½ Marathon have separate finish lines, however they both finish on Packard Drive between ASU’s Sun Devil and Sun Angel Stadiums. Once you cross the finish line you’ll enter a Secure Zone – a fenced off area for race participants only. Here you will return your loaner timing chip, get your photo taken, and receive water, sports drink, food, a Mylar blanket and your finisher’s medal. Once you exit the Secure Zone you may not return. Outside the exit, you can retrieve your gear bag and join your family and friends for the finish line celebration!
Finish Line Festival
Featuring the Southwest Airlines Family Reunion Area
After your race, head to the Southwest Airlines Family Reunion Area to reunite with loved ones and enjoy ongoing live music and refreshments. Savor a well-deserved FREE Michelob Ultra beer, and refuel and recharge with post-race refreshments and live music at the finish line stage.
The Family Reunion Area will be located on the infield of Sun Angel Stadium. Look for the tall alphabet signs (A – Z), and plan in advance to meet your family and friends at a pre-determined letter. A message center will be located within this area with event staff on-hand to assist you with any questions. You can also leave a note for a family member or friend on the message board. We recommend that you tell your loved ones – or anyone you plan to meet at the finish - to carry a cell phone. And make sure you know the number! You’ve just run a long way and you’ll need all the help you can get.
Information Booths and Lost & Found
Information Booths will be positioned at the start and finish to assist you with any race day questions and help you find your way. The Information Booths will also serve as the race day Lost & Found. Any valuables found at the start or finish should be turned in to the Information Booth. Items from the start will be transported to the finish. Any valuable items NOT claimed at the finish by 3 pm will be trucked back to our San Diego office. To claim a lost item after the event, please contact Elite Racing at 1-800-311-1255.