It’s True: New Batch of Eee PC’s Missing Mini-PCIe Connector

Which Eee PC did you get?

It seems as though there are two models of the ASUS Eee PC 4G: the “7A” and the “7B.” Both are the same price ($399) and identical to the untrained eye. There is one difference: the 7B is missing the second mini-PCIe (PCI Express Mini Card) expansion connector.

Yes, that’s the slot that this forbes article talks about for expanding the storage of the Eee PC:

But Asustek clearly wants to connect with the first billion, too. For instance, the 2- to 8-gigabyte memory cards can be upgraded to 32 gigabytes

Apparently, they’re not so much interested in the first billion anymore.

How can you tell which one you have? The serial number starts with either “7A” or “7B.” This can be found on a sticker on the back of the Eee PC. Of course, to see for yourself if your Eee PC actually has the second Mini-PCIe slot, you have to destroy the little yellow tab covering the screws of the hatch on the bottom of the Eee PC. By doing this, you are voiding your Eee PC’s warranty. If your SSD dies within the next year, you not only don’t have a warranty to get it fixed, but also can’t pop in a new SSD storage module into the secondary Mini-PCIe slot- since there isn’t a connector for it.

Early reports indicated that the loss of the connector had to do with black colored units or units shipped to the United Kingdom. I can confirm now that my US Pearl White Eee PC 4G bought via Newegg does not have the second Mini-PCIe connector. It is a 7B unit.

I’m now left with no warranty and no second Mini-PCIe connector- on a device that cost exactly double the original announcement from way back in June.

The weirdest part is that it seems to just be missing the connector itself, which is just a piece of metal. Cost savings? $1.

Regardless, I’d like to hear what ASUS has to say about this. I’m not very happy at all.

[edit @ 1:10am]:

Apparently, according to this thread (thanks muha), there are some users with serial numbers that start with 7B that actually DO have mini-pcie connectors. What in the world is going on?

Comments (77)

  1. random-adam wrote:

    My s/n starts 79OAAQ001… and then it’s sort of rubbed off. White 4G from Citrus Micro, shipped Nov 1. Haven’t cracked it open yet. Tough to tell.

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 1:03 am #
  2. Groklaw Reader wrote:

    ASUS is making a big mistake.
    I was telling folks to get this Eee PC, now I am not. Easily many unit will not be bought, as well, you know, no word of mouth.

    ASUS - please put back the miniPCIe. Why be so stupid?

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 1:08 am #
  3. dp1 wrote:

    ASUS is making to many variations with the same model # by having the PCIE on some and not on others. I like many other will avoid the Eee PC till ASUS gets this straight. I guess this is why many people avoid first generation products.

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 1:37 am #
  4. pshady wrote:

    To be fair, this was never a published feature from Asus. We shouldn’t get so upset at something that was never promised.

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 1:47 am #
  5. Muhahahahaz wrote:

    This isn’t verified yet! In fact, someone on the forum reported that they had a mini PCIe connector on their 7B unit.

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 2:04 am #
  6. Muhahahahaz wrote:

    Here is the thread: http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=3824

    Look at the first two posts. Both people report 7B units WITH the connectors.

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 2:07 am #
  7. admin wrote:

    I’m confirming that I do not have a mini-pcie connector on my own Eee PC with a serial number starting with 7B. What post on the forum are you referring to, muha?

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 2:09 am #
  8. admin wrote:

    Ah, thanks. Interesting.

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 2:09 am #
  9. rbolt wrote:

    how to check? sorry for my ignorance

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 2:40 am #
  10. anonymous wrote:

    Wait, you mean Asus has been raising prices and dropping specs?!?!

    Sorry, but the eeePC is one of the most brazen examples of bait-and-switch marketing I can recall. It’s certainly the worst one I’ve fallen for myself.

    Yeah, I bought one. I’d have purchased one of these things anyway. Why they felt the need to piss me off in the process I will never understand.

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 2:47 am #
  11. Anthony wrote:

    Regardless of whether this turns out to be the case once more data is in, it’s quite common for companies to build earlier units with a little extra flexibility so they can go back and make changes if it turns out there’s something that wasn’t anticipated.

    Make buying decisions on the announced specs, and I don’t think those have changed since launch.

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 3:00 am #
  12. Nick wrote:

    I just ordered one from ncix.com I’ll check and see if the minipcie is there or not, it’s a black one so should be a newer model. Check out my site for some EEE tutorials http://eeetutorials.blogspot.com

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 3:27 am #
  13. Muhahahahaz wrote:

    “What in the world is going on?”, indeed!

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 3:30 am #
  14. Muhahahahaz wrote:

    Perhaps earlier 7B models still have it? More digits may be needed!

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 3:32 am #
  15. If there is just a connector missing then it can be soldered - you just buy a connector and use some soldering station (or find a man with one).

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 4:37 am #
  16. shylock@shylock.net wrote:

    mine is a 790aa unit too. and it defintiely has the connector…checked it when i upgraded to 2 gigs…bought it on launch day…white 4g 701

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 5:25 am #
  17. jangelo wrote:

    Mine starts with 7A. But I’m not too comfortable with voiding my warranty by opening that back slot. That is unless there is a really compelling reason to do so (maybe to install another SSD). Now if only there was a way to remove the sticker safely without getting torn. ;)

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 6:39 am #
  18. Prometheus Fire wrote:

    A big mistake? Really? for the average user, who cares if it doesn’t have the card slot? Not too many applications for that anyhow. There is no bait-and-switch, as one person said - it was never advertised in any form. The price, quit complaining. This is still this best computer you can get for $400 anywhere on the planet. There is nothing else like this in existence - size, power, capabilities. Asus has done a great thing and all you want to do is complain.

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 6:41 am #
  19. Jon wrote:

    Ditto 7B no PCI-E. Socket removed.

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 7:09 am #
  20. http://flipbitsnotburgers.blogspot.com/2007/12/7a-vs-7b-eee-pcs.html 7A vs 7B Eee PCs - do YOU have the extra mini PCIe connector?

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 7:17 am #
  21. Singlag wrote:

    My 7B0AAQ01xxxx do not have a mini-pcie connector

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 7:22 am #
  22. Black 7A Ultra here, ordered 11/24 from JR.com in NYC, received 11/27, it HAS the connector. What can I do with it?

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 7:27 am #
  23. Skender wrote:

    http://tnkgrl.wordpress.com/2007/11/20/modding-the-asus-701-eee/
    “Inserting a Novatel mini PCIe EVDO card into the empty mini PCIe card slot disabled the built-in SSD - as a result, my Eee was unable to boot! I think this mini PCIe card slot is designed for an optional SSD that replaces the built-in SSD…”

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 8:07 am #
  24. Groklaw Reader wrote:

    Skender-
    Makes sense, as if the built-in SSD, soldered onto MB, goes down the tubes (after the warranty has expired), then what use, other than being a coffee mug coaster, is the Eee PC then?

    The miniPCIe, it seems, is a needed feature.

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 8:16 am #
  25. xwing wrote:

    Needed, mistake… dang you people are dramatic.

    It’s not a published feature. 90% of users (people that probably don’t post here) won’t EVER use it. Remember it is warranty voiding to get to it.

    Put down the pitch forks. It’s absent on some probably because of a supply issue. Why is the initial reation that “ASUS is out to screw us?”

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 9:29 am #
  26. Groklaw Reader wrote:

    xwing-
    “you people”??? user forums are mostly “you people types” if you did not notice.
    Anyway - per an above post… It is reported that everything needed to run the miniPCIe, is *still* on the MB, except that now there is NO connector part now (a part that might cost 5 cents, the poster above was generous that it would cost a dollar - in china? (nope, 2 cent tops for that part).

    My guess, a pure guess, is that Microsoft, who wants to have the hardware and software locked down to be “registered” with Microsoft, where folks can’t just swap out the SSDs and share them between machines…, that MS did not want removable OS capability when the XP ones hit the stores (so ASUS took out the to satisfy Microsoft). Just a guess.

    Oh read this and find the part about the warranty sticker and it’s value.
    http://cliffhacks.blogspot.com/2007/11/asus-eeepc-first-impressions-and-gpl.html
    read the part of the page that starts with “However, since I’m already pretending to be a lawyer in this post, allow me to discuss the Magnuson-Moss Act, what it says about tie-ins, and what exactly ASUS is doing here”.
    It is a very good read.

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 10:02 am #
  27. AdorkableChris wrote:

    ********
    Yes, that’s the slot that this forbes article talks about for expanding the storage of the Eee PC:

    “But Asustek clearly wants to connect with the first billion, too. For instance, the 2- to 8-gigabyte memory cards can be upgraded to 32 gigabytes”

    ********

    I’d disagree, when I read the forbes article the first thing that came to mind was the actual SD slot, at the moment SDs range up to 8gig but there is already support in SDHC for up to 32gig. It then mentions the Ram and the screws to change the ram but as other people have aleady pointed out, ASUS have never advertised it as coming with a mini PCIE port for upgrading the storage, that’s always been the job of the SD slot and USB ports. I think it’s alot of fuss about nothing. :)

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 10:16 am #
  28. Samiux wrote:

    As far as I know, Eee PC has two models so far, they are standard 4G and Surf 4G. The different between them is the webcam and may be the mini PCIe slot as well as the RAM slot. The Surf 4G comes without webcam that you can identify it very easily.

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 10:38 am #
  29. May wrote:

    It looks like the 8GB version won’t have it neither

    http://www.dynamism.com/eee-pc/specs.shtml

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 11:23 am #
  30. Ben wrote:

    While I can sympathize on the disappointment of not having a PCIe connector, I fail to see why all are so pissed. I didn’t think (after reading the specs) that mine would come with PCIe. However, it did.

    I got what I paid for and more.

    What ASUS should’ve done would be to just remove the PCIe connector and leave the specs as they were or add it to all eee’s and publish it in the specs…

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 11:49 am #
  31. JDP wrote:

    Bait and switch? Do “you people*” even know what that means? ;) I’ve posted stuff on the Wikipedia entry about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:ASUS_Eee_PC#Criticism_needs_citations_too
    There was no bait and switch because *ASUS* never advertised the product for sale in a specific store at a specific price. Can someone point to a press release *by ASUS* stating that the 4G *is* in stores for $199? I didn’t think so. It was all a bunch of media cross speculation that created the $199 4G myth. Take a look at the actual ASUS press releases and when you find the one for the original 4G one you’ll see something very important - *NO PRICE*. The other early announcement for a $199 Eee PC was for a *2G variant*. Get informed and “you people*” will stop sounding like whiny children. :) Have a nice day.

    *- Apologies to Groklaw Reader

    And thanks to Prometheus Fire for remembering some of this from the last “bait-n-switch” go around.

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 12:02 pm #
  32. Wil wrote:

    May –

    The system specs that a reseller posts are not a guarantee - they basically tell the person, what it is, not the internal specs. We will have to wait for the 8G to be officially released, and ripped apart to see the truths .. IF the 8g has a 2nd pci-e slot .. I’m buying it .. and buying an affordable upgraded ssd card :)

    But yeah, Here is to waiting.

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 12:07 pm #
  33. JDP wrote:

    http://uk.asus.com/news_show.aspx?id=7472

    $199 2G announcement from *ASUS*. This is the start of the $199 price, but there is *nothing* about a 4G in there.

    I’m not seeing the 4G announcement on the ASUS site with my searches but I remember very clearly that it had no price on it as it was a subject of another dispute on an earlier post on this site.

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 12:18 pm #
  34. landauer wrote:

    If 7A and 7B don’t correlate with the second PCIe socket, What are the motherboard revision numbers?

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 1:17 pm #
  35. DieHarder wrote:

    I’m now left with no warranty and no second Mini-PCIe connector- on a device that cost exactly double the original announcement from way back in June.

    This is a stupid point to bitch about. As if your loss was so great. You don’t have to buy it

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 3:01 pm #
  36. annon. wrote:

    Here is the deal with flash memory with hard use it will fail at some point. Then you have a a brick. With the mini-pcie at least you could keep it going after the initial 2 years. We all know that it will cost more to fix it that replace it in 2 years. But hey what another throw away device to fill up the rubish pile. I am not saying that this is a promised spec. I’m saying the dollar for the part might have been worth it, at least eviromentally and longevity.

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 3:20 pm #
  37. anonymous wrote:

    To everyone complaining about the HD failing…the SDHC card slot is bootable, AND higher-capacity (up to 32GB). If, someday, your HD fails, your device is still fully usable.

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 4:04 pm #
  38. xwing wrote:

    Yes, I said “you people”… as in everyone crying wolf. It’s simply getting nuts that you are complaining instead of enjoying your EEE.

    -The hard drive will fail
    -Asus violated GPL
    -The original price was $200

    It’s becoming a list of what will be complained about next…

    A missing connector for an unpublished spec isn’t something to complain over. Like I said probably didn’t have a consistent supply… It’s not unfathomable that they simply didn’t add the connector because they didn’t have it?

    Why jump to the: “Oh it’s so cheap! Asus is screwing us for every penny.”

    No one has shown a flash drive fail yet. I never heard the cry for that under say the iPod Nano.

    Just get over it.

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 4:07 pm #
  39. xwing wrote:

    Grokaw,

    Again… NEEDED???

    There is three USB slots and an SD slot. All of which are bootable.

    If you are so adamant about failure… I’ll buy you another EEE if all of those fail or are removed and render your EEE a brick.

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 4:11 pm #
  40. RF9 wrote:

    The average consumer that buys this thing, they’re going to be shocked that the disk and RAM are not upgradeable like every other laptop sold in existence.
    What gives any laptop manufacturer the justification for making RAM and storage non-upgradeable on any laptop?
    Advertised or not, it’s assumed that you’ll be able to open doors on the laptop to replace RAM modules and disks without voiding a warranty.

    Having said that I’ll still get one. Even if the flash fails in 2 years the price of this thing makes it a disposable laptop. In 2 years there will be something 10 times more capable at the same price.

    I think ASUS will start a trend here and we’ll see several competing products in the next few years. Some upgradeable.

    Because it’s non upgradeable, this is one reason I’ll hold out for the 8G.
    Now if only the 16G was coming some time soon.

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 4:15 pm #
  41. MarkMoss wrote:

    One simple possibility is that Asus ran out of mini-PCIe connectors at some point, and decided to leave the connector off rather than halt production. If they never advertised the mini-PCIe slot, and have no plans to use the slot for after market upgrades, it would make perfect sense to leave the connector off.

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 4:17 pm #
  42. jeff wrote:

    does any have problems with there mouse? mine seems to get stuck everyonce and awhile. thought it had to do with how much battery was left, then i started even with the full battery. im not touching that yellow sticker until my 1 year is over

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 4:47 pm #
  43. anonymous wrote:

    I made the original “bait and switch” comment.

    1) I decided to buy one of these the moment it was announced. I haven’t obsessively crawled through the ASUS press release archives and don’t care to, but there’s no doubt that it was the idea of a 4 gigabyte micro-laptop at $200 was the story that launched ASUS into the headlines back in May or June or whenever it was. They made no attempt to clarify and clearly switched that up when it got closer to release. It was a sin of omission, I suppose, but they were passive and complacent when it came to enjoying the publicity it brought them. They could have clarified.
    2) I know for a fact that specs were changed after I placed my pre-order. I was in line for what would become the 2G Surf at $259. That combination of features and price points was nixed entirely — AFTER I placed my pre-order — and features were removed from the other price points.
    3) Whether or not ASUS officially put the mini-PCIe slot on the spec sheet, it was in the first models released, and users discovered it and passed the word along to other users, thereby informing the decisions of the more cautious purchasers. They’re free to drop it without notification, but you can’t seriously expect buyers not to react with dismay.

    Sorry dude, but I’m going to stand by it. Any one of these would have been fine, but with three in a row, it’s a bit hard to swallow the notion that it was all accidental.

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 5:01 pm #
  44. JDP wrote:

    1) It’s not required of ASUS to patrol the internet to find who is misreporting the story. ASUS openly published the press releases which are fairly easy to find by anyone for confirmation. That you didn’t do it and believed the hype of your preorder company is your own fault. Why would ASUS have to clarify if the press release is right there? It’s up to the reporter to not be a dip shit and do due-diligence when reporting on a story.

    2) Your preorder was not with ASUS, thus your bait and switch complaint lies with the company that sold you the preorder. Get a clue. The product was NOT ON SALE hen you made the preorder, and ASUS never told anyone that they could get an Eee at a specific price until it was released. Even that $199 2G link I posted says “around $199″.

    3) Not a response to me.

    Sorry dude yourself, it was your mistake right along with all the dumb reporters and editors who can’t fact check worth a damn.

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 6:12 pm #
  45. Rakel wrote:

    Asus is of course protecting the next EPC launch, wich will have more disk space and
    a bigger screen, they want the same people who already bought EPCs to keep upgrading
    just like apple with ipods.
    But they’re missing a loyal fan(boys) base, unlike apple.
    You see, a percentage of off EPCs byers are Linux users and they(we) tend to complain alot…

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 7:51 pm #
  46. Chipbug wrote:

    Those who think that they will upgrade with a PCIe SSD on your current eee is pretty unrealistic. A 16GB PCIe SSD costs more than the eee itself right now. Yes, price will drop eventually. But by that time, your money is better spent on newer and more powerful eee-type PC.

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 8:53 pm #
  47. Robert wrote:

    The price increase is likely due at least in a major part by the free-fall of the US$ in relation to other world wide currencies.

    Hate the fact that you are paying much more for stuff imported - vote next election someone who is concerned about the American economy.

    This is an innovative product. I would rather it be a financial success for ASUS instead of them going out of business selling them at a loss.

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 9:29 pm #
  48. anonymous wrote:

    JDP,

    1) It’s not required, but it would have been wise and ethical. The fact is that Asus announced this thing by promising a $199 price point and an August release date. They came out in November/December and cost twice as much. It’s the OLPC syndrome, but without the good karma of giving educational tools to needy kids.
    2) You don’t seriously think that retailers just fabricated the specs for that first round of configurations, do you? All the retailers were reporting the same details. This likely means that Asus confirmed them with the retailers, who then started taking preorders based on that information. If you have an alternative explanation for the fact that the configurations were reported identically on many different sites, I’m all ears.

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 9:40 pm #
  49. anonymous wrote:

    Further on item #2 — I would argue that neither $350 nor $400 qualifies as “around 199.”

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 9:41 pm #
  50. fadumpt wrote:

    okay so here goes (is still mad that his last post was lost in “submit” black hole)

    It doesn’t matter that it wasn’t promised. IT was included on sold units. That means that there is an implied promise that if you buy this you’ll get that, that’s a big deal if you ask me.

    Also, *anything* in a computer that allows you to add more functionality to the unit is something worth keeping. If I can open up a door and add something to the computer and get a new feature through that slot, I’m that much more willing to buy it. I don’t care if you are some dummy off the street that can’t find the power button or an experianced user…there are still a lot of people that would like the ability to upgrade with a mini pci-e slot if they so chose to, even if they never do.

    This thing about the warranty sticker sounds to be pointless griping….from the description I heard of the sticker, it’s one of those common warranty stickers that one could probably find pretty easily…I’m sure (from what i’ve heard on here) that you could use a smaller screwdriver to get the door off too. Either way it’s not a huge issue, just paste on another warranty sticker before you have to send it back…on this subject, whoever said “not opening that up until the year is up” This thing actually has a 2 year parts and labor warranty according to Newegg’s specs list. You might be waiting a little longer

    To anyone still complaining about Asus screwing them on the price originally, get a life, it was 3 month old speculation and talk, things change as the project evolves, it’s just how it works.

    We’ve got a black 4G surf coming in the mail tomorrow at work, I’ll base my *actual* opinion of this rig on that, because sadly enough, with everything that’s sorrounding this thing, good and bad, it’s still worth it :( for $400 you can have a portable computer that will survive 2 years through warranty and won’t be a burden to haul.

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 9:47 pm #
  51. Muhahahahaz wrote:

    I guess I’m glad I didn’t pay attention to the Eee until after it was released, lol. I don’t care about all this, I’m just really excited. I can’t wait until mine gets here on Mon/Tues!

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 10:12 pm #
  52. eddy wrote:

    The lack of the mini-PCIe doesn’t trouble me as much as having to void the warranty to expand the ram. I had never seen mention of the mini-PCIe in the official specs so I wasn’t actually expecting it initially.

    If you notice in the Forbes article - Shen demonstrating opening up the back to upgrade memory had not been mentioned in the marketing materials. Part of the problem may be that the people at the top are not aware of how the machine is being crippled.

    My white eeepc arrived on Friday. The serial # starts with 7B. However, I’m not ready to break the warranty seal so I don’t know whether mini-pcie is there.

    When I remember that I paid about a thousand dollars for a Libretto 95 (with Windows 95) some years ago, I think $399 still represents a tremendous value considering the functionality that you DO get.

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 10:44 pm #
  53. RF9 wrote:

    Why should a RAM upgrade be allowed to void the warranty?
    Is the RAM not user serviceable like all other laptops?

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 10:50 pm #
  54. Juan Rozo wrote:

    I have to agree with what other users have already said… If it was never written down, you don’t really have the right to get pissed because of it… No official advertisement for the EEE mentions this connector, nor does it appear on the manual… So, if they included it in some of them, good for them, but it’s not as we have any right to be pissed at Asus. Yes, we may say “tough luck, mine doesn’t have it”, but nothing else… And regarding price…My two cents are this: Asus did make an annoucement at the beginning saying it would be around $200, but indipendently of that, all discussions over the price were posted at non-official Asus sites (like this one), and were basically rumors… besides that, if you don’t really feel like paying $400, no one is forcing you to buy one. The fact that they are selling like hot cakes means simply that Asus was correct (market wise) in selling them at $400, as enough people would buy them anyway, as it is still a great deal…of course, it would have been better at $200, but I don’t regret for a second having spent $400 for mine…

    Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 11:39 pm #
  55. JB wrote:

    7B with the connector - bought 11/19 from NewEgg

    Monday, December 3, 2007 at 1:33 am #
  56. Bremen wrote:

    I have had my E over two weeks now, and am very pleased with it. I upped the memory to 1 gig, installed a nLite formed XP and in many ways outperforms my dual core Toeshiba. All this wringing of hands over this slot is pointless. As others of said by the time that type of memory drops enough in price where it would be a real option for the E, it will be more cost effective just to upgrade to the latest E like machine.

    Mine works as advertised and then some…..

    Monday, December 3, 2007 at 8:28 am #
  57. Seraphim wrote:

    Bremen, good to hear a realistic (straight-to-the-point) voice. Can you please clarify what a “nLite formed XP” is and if you can have this alongside Linux? Thanks!

    Monday, December 3, 2007 at 9:35 am #
  58. x94scorp wrote:

    hmmm, makes me wonder if Asus was trying to hide something by putting the warranty void sticker on the panel in the first place?

    Monday, December 3, 2007 at 10:17 am #
  59. stephen wrote:

    You can check these to see if you have the pcie port by taking out the screw on the side with no warranty tape. then pop up the panel along that side being careful not to break it then look under it to see. I don’t like the idea of getting less for the same money when it would cost asus at most a $1 to put the upgrade option on all of these eee pcs. The soured me for sure. When all you guys with no pcie port need a hard drive replacment, good luck on your sd card option its really slow to run an os from sd or usb. It will be a slow brick.

    Monday, December 3, 2007 at 10:17 am #
  60. docprego wrote:

    I have a white 79B00, haven’t bothered to check for the connector. I have an 8GB SDHC card living permanently in the slot. Why would I care about a connector that allows me to (potentially) expand my Eee’s SSD at a cost that significantly exceeds that of the notebook itself? Especially considering the fact that I was able to double its built in SSD with the SDHC card for $55. In terms if SSD this is a ludicrous argument. Now if that connector offered some other appealing function then maybe I could see the point.

    Monday, December 3, 2007 at 10:24 am #
  61. docprego wrote:

    Sorry I meant 79OAA.

    Monday, December 3, 2007 at 10:25 am #
  62. Bremen wrote:

    @Seraphim

    Check the WIKI on this site and you will see instructions on installing XP. Including in those is the link to nLite and the instructions on it. After the install I searched on the site and found how to remove the page file from XP. Bottom line is after installing XP I had nearly 3gig free on the installed “hard drive”. There is a lot of really good information on this site, just spend some time searching around….

    Monday, December 3, 2007 at 10:33 am #
  63. stephen wrote:

    For those who think ssd pcie cards will be expensive forever probably thought a 500gb hard drive would never exist for ~$100, just go down to compusa and check for yourself. SSD hard drives will be cheap and soon, all hard drives will be ssd soon. SSD is 20 times faser than sd or usb,ssd is not the same as sd or usb at all. SD is very slow in case you have not ried that before no matter how fast the card says it runs, the interface is slow. The superfast pcie will come in handy in a year, trust me for a few lucky ones :)

    Monday, December 3, 2007 at 10:40 am #
  64. JDP wrote:

    48-49: What part of *THE $199 Eee PC WAS A 2G DON’T YOU GET?* ;) Like I posted, get a clue. The 4G was never announced at $199 by ASUS - and it’s the 4G that is being sold at $399, not the 2G. Your complaints have no merit. Just because a company makes a product introduction announcement that they want to sell their shiny new product at $X at some point in the future doesn’t mean they have any requirement to do so at the actual product sales launch anyway. The 2G still isn’t on sale so any complaints about the $199 Eee PC are invalid. ASUS has since also said that the $199 is for bulk 2G orders only.

    All preorder retailers were *not* showing the same details, thus much of the speculation/controversy before the actual launch. If you bothered to payed attention to the preorder sales sites most disclaimed price and spec changes anyway, so the point is invalid because *THEY KNEW IT MIGHT CHANGE*. A few offered refunds if the specs or price varied, but I’m not aware of anyone being refunded on a claim.

    You still have no beef against ASUS for bait and switch or price gouging or whatever because you used a preorder company. If you see a Best Buy ad for an Eee PC 4G for $399 and walk in to find them on sale for $450 you’re still only going to be able to file a bait and switch against Best Buy, not ASUS. For the third time, get a clue. Retailers are not ASUS and if they publish bad specs it is on them, not ASUS.

    Monday, December 3, 2007 at 10:52 am #
  65. stephen wrote:

    This blog is less about bait and switch and not really about price. The fact is ASUS did change the spec of the ASUS eeepc, they originally had a pcie hard drive upgrade port, now they do not for the same price, less specs for the same price is what people don’t like. If they put a slower processor in an smaller screen, whould you still not understand what people are complaining about? People don’t like to loose options for the same money.

    Monday, December 3, 2007 at 11:11 am #
  66. JDP wrote:

    stephan: My issue isn’t about the missing mini PCIe port - when I get an Eee I’d rather get one that has it. I get that people don’t like spec changes, but I’m trying to get people to realized that much of it was MEDIA SPECULATION that gave them the false expectations that they have/had. Have the specs changed from the initial October release, other than the mini PCIe slot (which was never ADVERTISED anyway!) or has the MSRP changed? It’s not that I don’t get it about people complaining, but they are mostly complaining about crap that is easily refuted once you look past the frenzied hype of the past several months. Expecting the 4G to sell at $199 is a false belief because there never was a 4 GB model for $199 announced by ASUS. If you think it was, show me the press release. I’ve already linked to the original $199 release where it mentions 2 GB. Link a release where the mini PCIe is promised and maybe there will be valid complaints about the missing slot.

    Until then it’s all whining because noone wanted to look for the *truth* beyond the media hype (not ASUS hype).

    Monday, December 3, 2007 at 11:27 am #
  67. Groklaw Reader wrote:

    The best hack of an Eee PC to date award goes to….. tnkgrl - where bluetooth was added (of course need to do some soldering). Modding the Asus 701 (Eee) - Bluetooth « tnkgrl Mobile your creative mind and love to hack eee pc, then you can try this hack which was demonstrated by tnkgrl

    Of course, without the Mini PCIe, then some products like this in the following link, will not work in the newer Eee PC (without the Mini PCIe slot ) -Vaulter Disk is a flash-based, standard-sized mini PCIe module.
    see:
    http: //asuseeehacks.blogspot.com/2007/11/sandisks-vaulter-disk.html

    Monday, December 3, 2007 at 11:43 am #
  68. Groklaw Reader wrote:

    Has anyone tried this flash extending Mini PCIe “Valuter Disk” yet?
    http://asuseeehacks.blogspot.com/2007/11/sandisks-vaulter-disk.html

    Monday, December 3, 2007 at 11:45 am #
  69. g wrote:

    So, since not everyone with a 7B is missing the slot… it’s not really “True”, is it?

    Monday, December 3, 2007 at 11:49 am #
  70. Chipbug wrote:

    stephan: No one doubts that the SSD price will drop eventually. However, the problem is the sales volume. Gartner projects global consumption of SSDs in consumer and business notebooks to leap from about 4 million units in 2007 to 32 million units in 2010. So there is not much chance that SSD will replace hard drive in the near future. Even at 32 million units, the volume is still too low comparing to hard drive to take advantage of the economic of sale and drive down the price dramatically. By 2010, you would probably want to have a more advance version of eee anyway. So the mini-PCIe slot is a non-issue.

    Monday, December 3, 2007 at 12:34 pm #
  71. fadumpt wrote:

    Groklaw Reader: The slot is there, the bracket to slide the card into and make use of the pins is missing…you should still be able to solder to the right pins if you do the bluetooh mod…

    btw: Warranty shouldn’t be such an issue with you nutters…peel it off, put it back later…messed it up? buy one, if they are the generic warranty stickers that have been described by eee users it should be easy to find one with some effort online.

    we just got the black 4g surf delivered at work, waiting to finally check this thing out.

    Monday, December 3, 2007 at 2:00 pm #
  72. andie wrote:

    … so the 8G is out?!

    woohoo! :)

    Monday, December 3, 2007 at 3:53 pm #
  73. Eric wrote:

    7B here. Purchased from Directron last week. No connector. :(

    Monday, December 3, 2007 at 7:09 pm #
  74. fadumpt wrote:

    I’m sold on the EEE…we unpackaged it and powered it up and it was love at first sight, all the deleted hardware just kind of melted away…the keyboard is pretty easy to get the hang of, even for touch typing with larger fingers…it’s quick enough and my boss that knows nothing about linux is able to use it and is even working through some howtos (with help) to get a start menu and other things added to it.

    Monday, December 3, 2007 at 7:48 pm #
  75. taras wrote:

    I don’t understand what the big deal is here.

    Maybe if you’re one of the 8 or so people who are actually going to use the MiniPCI-e slot then I can see your point, but it’s really nothing to cry about.

    (Incidentally, I have a 7A with the slot but I don’t expect I’ll ever need it.)

    Monday, December 3, 2007 at 8:30 pm #
  76. Hahutzy wrote:

    Gathering info as I read this post made me formulate a theoretical situation.

    NOTE: The below ideas are from OTHER USERS. I simply made a CONNECTION BETWEEN THEM to formulate a logical situation.

    So here goes…

    Originally, Asus had in mind that EPC users would keep upgrading, just like Apple and iPod users.

    However, the clear difference would be that users WILL find transferring between old and new EPC a pain in the ass.

    Asus’ solution, and a clever one at that, is to release “backuppers”, which go in the 2nd mini pcie slot.

    How it works is the backupper will be of the same size as the “old EPC”’s SSD storage (for the sake of users needing to keep upgrading the backupper along with new EPCs as storage grows), and you plug it into the 2nd mini pcie slot.

    When it’s plugged in and detected as empty, and you bootup, your OS will not load. Instead, the backupper will trigger an automated full system backup onto the backupper. Once everything is backed up, the old EPC will format itself.

    Once that’s done, slap the backupper into the new EPC. When the backupper is detected as non-empty, the EPC will format itself and copy everything from backupper to EPC’s SSD, then format backupper. Done, now users have a 2-step solution to transferring between EPC and Asus is happy.

    But Microsoft isn’t.

    MS doesn’t like the idea that new EPCs need not buy new Windows copies. And what if hackers find a way to make the backupper not format itself after copying, or the old PC does not format after backingup? Then multiple EPCs can load Windows into their SSD EFFORTLESSLY! No, MS does not like the idea at all.

    Hence, MS offered to pay Asus to throw the backupper plan down the drain. Microsoft probably paid Asus A LOT for Asus to do so (I mean, come on, Asus is throwing away a potential get-rich-quick scheme similar to iPods), or MS is paying Asus in continuous payments, not single payment.

    Random notes:
    - The mini pcie is hidden behind “void if broken” seal, meaning once users transfer to new EPCs, old EPCs are no longer under warranty. Though, users will not complain as much because they have a new EPC to use anyways. Perfect balance between keeping costs to a minimum and keeping users from bitching about things, if you catch my drift.
    - The mini pcie is not mentioned in specs because Asus only intends on it being used by the backupper. It is kept a secret because user-end expendability cripples the iPod-scheme and goes against Asus’ reason for putting in the 2nd mini pcie slot. Hence the “void if broken” seal — if you add a 16gb SSD there, and it breaks, then it’s not their fault. They didn’t want you to do that anyways, just get their next generation EPC!

    Monday, December 3, 2007 at 10:45 pm #
  77. RF9 wrote:

    I seriously doubt this is a conspiracy by MS to keep people from pirating Windows.
    There are already far too many easier ways to pirate the OS.

    Tuesday, December 4, 2007 at 1:25 am #