Sporting News - NCAA College Football
Hi, [sign out]   My Fantasy Teams |
 | free membership
Magazine Exclusive

SN's college football awards: McFadden player of the year
Posted: December 7, 2007

Related: Full Sporting News All-American Teams

Arkansas running back Darren McFadden has been selected Sporting News' 2007 college football player of the year. McFadden, a junior, broke his own single-season Arkansas records this year with 1,725 yards rushing and 2,172 all-purpose yards.

Other major award winners, as selected by Tom Dienhart and Matt Hayes, are Kansas' Mark Mangino as coach of the year and Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford as freshman of the year:

PLAYER OF THE YEAR

Darren McFadden RB, Arkansas, Jr.
McFadden entered every game as a marked man. Stop him and you'll beat Arkansas, coaches preached. Easier said than done. McFadden is big. He's fast. Oh, and he throws touchdown passes, too.

McFadden is the quintessential one-man gang. He ranked fourth in the nation with 1,725 rushing yards -- and he tossed four touchdown passes. He was at his best in games against South Carolina (when he tied the SEC single-game rushing mark with 321 yards and also had a TD pass) and No. 1 LSU (206 yards rushing with three TDs and 34 yards passing with one TD). McFadden, simply, is the best.

COACH OF THE YEAR

Mark Mangino, Kansas
No one believed, and that was OK. Mangino knew. He knew he had a team capable of doing special things. Mangino delivered big time, guiding his Jayhawks as high as a No. 2 ranking behind the play of savvy sophomore quarterback Todd Reesing and a sum-is-greater-than-its-parts defense.

The result: The 11-1 Jayhawks are going to KU's first Orange Bowl since the 1968 season -- and its first BCS bowl game ever.

FRESHMAN OF THE YEAR

Sam Bradford QB, Oklahoma
Bradford won a three-man battle for the starting job and went on to set an NCAA freshman standard for touchdown passes with 34. Even better, he led the nation in passing efficiency.

How important was Bradford to Oklahoma? He missed most of the Texas Tech game with a concussion, and the Sooners lost, a defeat that might have cost them a shot at the BCS championship.

-- Player capsules by Tom Dienhart

Sporting news - YourTurn   SPEAK OUT ON THIS ARTICLE

Comments
THE RIGHT CHOICE!
dvantu on Fri Dec 07, 2007 05:46 pm
The Sporting News got it right when it named Darren McFadden as it's 2007 COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYER OF THE YEAR. He's an amazing athlete who will excel at the next level.
wrong choice for player of the year
vcrBlog on Fri Dec 07, 2007 06:18 pm
tsn got it right with the other two awards. but mcfadden is second-best player of the year, maybe even third. player of the year is tim tebow who throws *and* run touchdowns. and plenty of 'em. oregon's dixon could be second-best: look how lost the team has been without him. is mcfadden an excellent player? yes. is he the best one? no.
Boo!!!
que4au on Fri Dec 07, 2007 09:00 pm
You made the wrong choice for player of the year. McFadden is definitely a great back, but he was a non-factor in too many games this year. If you have to take the LSU game into consideration, then you have to do the the same for the Auburn game. Tim Tebow should be the 2007 player of the year.
RunDMC4MVP
FightinFiver on Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:25 pm
Naming Darren McFadden as the player of the year was definetly the right choice. Tim Tebow had great stats because he was surrounded with great players. McFadden only had Felix Jones, and he also played running back. Just think what McFadden's rushing total could have been if he had gotten all of the carries.

The tiebreaker in this decision would have to be when Arkansas and Florida played at LSU. Tebow led his team to a fast start, but faded fast and allowed LSU to comeback and win. McFadden on the other hand was consistent throughout the game, and scored three rushing touchdowns and a passing touchdown. That is very similar to both teams' seasons. Florida faded in conference play, while Arkansas progressively improved.

Tim Tebow's touchdown total is skewed because it is much easier for a QB to rush for touchdowns than it is for a RB to throw for a touchdown. In Florida's three non-conference games, Tebow had a combined 13 touchdowns against Western Kentucky, Troy, and Florida Atlantic.

That's not to say that Tebow isn't a great player. He most certainly is, and will be the frontrunner for all of next year's postseason awards. McFadden; however, deserves the award more because he was the sole factor for his teams success.
I Guess
appalachian slangBlog on Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:40 am
If you only care about what the SEC does. If you go week to week gauging what every player did for his team, and the impact it had towards a successful season then I can name a few other players more deserving. Brennan and White. Sporting News I thought you were progressive but you sing the same old tired song of collusion. F*#$ Off
Hmmmm....
lvosmikBlog on Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:46 am
Quote:
McFadden entered every game as a marked man. Stop him and you'll beat Arkansas, coaches preached. Easier said than done. McFadden is big. He's fast. Oh, and he throws touchdown passes, too.

In the above TSN quote, the name McFadden should be changed to the name Tebow to make more sense (and Arkansas to Florida).
Don't Hate....Appreciate
James T Kirk on Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:53 am
Does the SEC get to much hype, YES. Is most of the hype deserved, YES. What conference has the most players starting in the NFL. I don't have to tell you, you already know the answer. I don't know what the Sporting News uses as a scale to select its All American Team, do you. If the most exciting, explosive, and NFL worthy skill player are factors then they obviously got it right. If they need to look at inflated stats then the field is wide open. Tebow, White, Brennan, Daniel are nice college players, but maybe the Sporting News would like their player of the year to actually preform in the NFL unlike most Heisman winners. I actually believe that Brennan will be a very solid pro, but the jury is out on the others. If you believe that Tebow is good enough right now for the NFL then I have some land to sell you in the Everglades. He may develop in to a NFL QB, but that is way to far in the future for me to see. Don't hate on Darren, you know you want your NFL team to draft him if they get a chance.
please
Hog_fan77 on Sat Dec 08, 2007 01:16 am
Every time florida got inside the 5 yrd line, they called tebow's number...look at his long td runs...there are only a handfull of them. Mcfadden had 2 80 yrd runs, and a 73 yrd run against LSU, the number one team in the nation...and Darren McFadden led his team to BEAT LSU. FL lost to them...
ss bangers on Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:53 am
Sure Mcfaddeen has had a great college career but when your talking about player of the year my choice is Kevin Smith. Smith Carried the load for CFU and is poised to break Barry Sanders single season rushing record. O I know people will say he is in a weakier conference but this young man can run and we will see him play on sundays in the near future.
kclandBlog on Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:16 pm
McFadden is my Heisman winner! He can do it all and should have a very long and productive NFL career. He's big, fast and has agility. He is the main reason I believe Arkansas will run hog wild over Missouri! Go McFadden and go Hogs! Right now, I would count on McFadden to help me win a game than over any present college football player in this country.
Very Happy Very Happy
All times are EST
Goto page 1, 2  Next Page 1 of 2