Showcase Bus Routes
Showcase bus routes aim to improve many aspects of bus travel by providing travellers with a more reliable, fast and efficient service.
Bristol’s first showcase scheme, connects Henbury, Southmead and Hartcliffe. Since it was launched, passenger figures on the first route have increased by 12% and an estimated 1,200 fewer cars are travelling along the A38 each week. The number of trips being made by bicycle has also increased by 11%.
Bristol's Second Showcase Route
In partnership with First we have upgraded the quality of the bus service and the environment along the A420/A431 route from Bristol city centre to Kingswood and Hanham.
The improvements on the Showcase bus route are designed to make bus travel a real alternative to travelling by car for all journeys. Buses will be more efficient and provide a more reliable service in and out of the town centre and to your local shopping area.
Priority is given to buses along the route
- Bus lanes in and out of the town centre
- Traffic signals that change to green if a bus is running late
- Restrictions for parking and loading in bus lanes at peak travelling times
The bus stop facilities include
- Raised kerbs to help people get on and off the bus, especially useful if you use a wheelchair, have children in a pushchair or just want to wheel your luggage or shopping trolley
- New, larger bus shelters with seats
- Real Time Information displays to show you when your bus is coming, there is also an audio function if you have a sight impairment
- Paving to clearly identify the bus stop waiting area
- CCTV cameras for passenger safety and to reduce vandalism
- New bus stops and information where there is not a bus shelter
- Clear, full colour information displays and maps at bus stops
The works are designed to improve your journey whether you walk, ride a bike, drive or catch the bus.
Advice and benefits | Business | Community and living | Council and democracy | Education and learning | Environment and planning | Health and social care | Housing | Jobs and careers | Leisure and culture | Transport and streets