A haunting video showing an “obituary” of the main opponent to the “mega-mosque” proposed for the 2012 Olympic site has appeared on YouTube, but the subject of the film has vowed to continue his fight against the huge development.
The video, In memory of Councillor Alan Craig, shows pictures of the Christian People's Alliance councillor with his wife and two daughters, aged 5 and 6, and promises: “To God we will all return.”
It was posted on YouTube apparently in response to Mr Craig high-profile campaign against the building of a 12,000 capacity mosque sponsored by the ultra-conservative Islamic sect Tablighi Jamaat.
The video's creator, 23-year-old Muhammad from Stevenage, known by his online profile as Abdullah 1425, posted the film four months ago and until last night it was promoted on the mosque's website via a link to material supporting the project.
The video ends with the words: “The mosque will be built in time for the 2012 Olympic Games. We must ask Allah to strengthen us.”
Councillor Craig, who contacted the police when he saw the film, told Times Online that he would not be intimidated by such tactics and promised to continue his outspoken opposition to the proposed development. “We can't work on the basis of intimidation. It's appalling, completely and totally inappropriate but you can't live in fear . . . it's for the police to deal with,” Mr Craig said.
The Metropolitan Police confirmed that police in Newham had received correspondence outlining concerns over the video. It said: “Officers will review the video in due course to ascertain whether any criminal offence has been committed.”
Councillor Craig contacted the police by letter on Monday of last week. “The police responded to me on Thursday and said the CID would contact me,” he said. “I would hope that they would contact YouTube and ask them to take it down.”
Abbey Mills Mosque which says the development would be Europe's largest Islamic place of worship, denied any association with the video's creator but admitted that there had been a link to the YouTube profile on their website.
Nick Kilby, spokesman for the mosque said: “We found out about the video last night and it has been removed. We don't take responsibility for other people's sites that we don't control.”
He added that if Abdullah 1425 was discovered to be a member of Tablighi Jamaat the matter would be dealt with very seriously.
Plans for the mosque have not yet been submitted to Newham Council, after several setbacks to the project, including a change of architect.
RSPCA Young Photographer Awards 2007
John Darwin, the canoeist who turned up alive five years after 'drowning'
The entries were outstanding, but this Sunday we reveal the overall winner of the £25m Entrepreneur Challenge.