1521
• Battle of Mactan
1591
• Mactan has passed on to colonial rule. Together with Camotes islands formed one encomienda subject to the City of Santisimo Nombre de Dios (Cebu).
1730
• Opon became the seventh town founded by the Augustinian Fathers.
1736
• The Ikon of the Blessed Virgin of the Rule was brought to Opon by Father Francisco Aballe, Opon's first parish priest. This year, he also built the old stone church.
1856
• The casa parroquial or parish convent was built by Father Simon Aguirre.
1866
• Fr. Aguirre built the Magellan monument in Mactan.
1872
• Fray Benito Perez constructed the first case municipal.
1903
• Facundo Patalinghug was elected as the first president in the first popular election under the Americans.
1907
• Pascual de la Serna was elected President.
1908
• Town acquired the site of the town plaza from the Catholic Church, (Phil. Refining Co. (now the site of GMC), Standard Oil Co. (Mobil, and now Pilipinas Shell), & Texaco (fore runner of Caltex, & HOA HIN (now Cebu Shipyard and Eng'g. Works) started operation.
1911 to 1918
• Bartolome Dimataga was town president.
1916
• The Irish Redemptorist fathers founded the St. Alphonsus Catholic School.
1921
• Benedictine Sisters took charge of SACS, but still remain a parish school.
1919 to 1922
• Agustin Tumulak was town president. It was in 1992 that the old water reservoir (Bomba sa Tubig) was bult.
1928
• Rito de la Serna was elected president. Got re-elected in 1931 Lapu Lapu monument was bult by Rito de la Serna, who also bult the old tennis court and beautified the Rizal Plaza.
1934
• Gregorio de la Serna was elected president of Opong. He was unable to complete his term because he died in 1936. It was during his term that the Cristo Rey monument, and the Sugatan (main gate to the church) was built by Fr. Gerardo Trienekens, parish priest of Opong (1930-1952).
• This year, the American goverment formally ended its regime and Philippine Commonwealt goverment began.
1938
• Mariano Dimataga was elected mayor.
1941 to 1945
• Japanese Occupation. Mariano Dimataga's term was interrupted. Teodulo Tomakin and later, Eugenio Araneta were appointed as town mayors. They later escaped from the Japanese, Jorge Tampus took over.
• American liberation. Mariano Dimataga resumed his interrupted term.
1945
• American liberation. Mariano Dimataga resumed his interrupted term.
1946
• SACS was reopened.
1949
• First batch of high school grduates from SACS.
1952
• November. Typhoon Army caused damage to the town.
1959
• Opon Emergencyt Hospital was established in Opon.
1960
• The old church was demolished, Fr. Cornelio VAn de Loo began construction of the new modern church.
1961
• September, Some 40 officers and men of the Philippine air force led by Col. Lucio Java established the 561st Air Base Squadron at Mactan Air Base.
•June 17,1961 - Former town of Opon became a chartered City. Was renamed Lapu-Lapu after our heroe.
• General Milling Corporation started operation with its flour mill.
1965
• May 1965. Through RP-US agreement, U.S. Units came to Mactan Air Base.
1966
• Pres. Marcos Inaugurated the Mactan International Airport.
1967
• Mariano Dimataga retired on December 30, the last day of his term after 30 years of being mayor of Opon, and Lapu-Lapu City.
1968
• Dr. Maximo V. Patalinjug, Jr. began his first term as City mayor after winning in the 1967 election.
1969
• March, City market was burned.
1970
• New market was constructed.
1971
• Mayor Patalinjug was reelected. July 4, Mactan-Mandaue bridge was inaugurated.
1972
• September 21. Declaration of Martial Law by Pres. Marcos. The City was placed under the supervision of PAF. Curfew was affected.
1973
• January. Commercial operations officially transferred from Lahug and Mactan Airport.
1975
• Lapu-Lapu City Library was reactivated.
1978
• Mactan Export Processing Zone started operation with 5 industrial firms namely: TMX Phils Fairchild, Mactan Apparel, Eltra Asia Pacific, A.M. Cable & T.V. Industries.
1980
• Mayor Patalinjug was again reelected.
1981
• Monument of Lapu-Lapu was installed at the Mactan shrine.
1982
  1. Construction of Mini City Hall of Talima (Olango Island),
  2. and City Abbatoir at Pusok
  3. New City Hall at Pusok was constructed
1983
• Emergency hospital at Talima completed, also abbatoir at Pusok.
1984
• Transfer of official seat of local goverment from old City Hall, Poblacion to new City Hall.
1986
• Revolutionary government, Silvestre Dignos was appointed OIC in place of Mayor Patalinjug.
• New basketball court was was cosntructed at Poblacion.
1988
• Mayor Patalinjug was reelected over 7 candidates Poblacion.
1989
• December-Coup-PAF, B/GEN. Comendador placed MAB and the whole of Lapu-Lapu as hostage for 10 days.
1990
• New Post Office building was inaugurated, also new City Library.
• November 13 - Typhoon Rufing caused major damage to the City Bridge was temporarily closed due to the damage caused by Sanko line ship.
1991
• Roofing of City Auditorium at Poblacion completed.
• Construction of Lapu-Lapu City Sports complex began.
• Work on Super highway from Pajo to bask started.
• Mactan International Airport was placed under MCIAA.
1992
• May 11, Local Election - Ernest H. Weigel, Jr. elected as City Mayor.
1993
• Mayor Maximo Patalinjug died. Asphalting of Major & Barangay Roads, MEMO of Agreement - Additional - for MEPZ.
1995
• Mayor Ernest Weigel, Jr. Reelected (2nd Term) as City Mayor.
1998
• Mayor Ernest Weigel, Jr. Reelected (3rd Term)
• Lapu-Lapu City celebrates centennial Year
1999
• August, inauguration of the 2nd Mactan-Mandaue Bridge by Pres. Joseph Estrada.
• Restoration of the City Plaza and Access Road to Muelle OsmeƱa.
• End of the Millenium.
2000
• Second Bridge PLAZA was turned over to the city.
2001
• May, Hon. Arturo Radaza, elected as City Mayor.
 
 
SOURCES
Looking Back - Bayani P. Dequito
Lapu-Lapu City - Gerry Desabelle
Thinking of the Past - Ramon dela Serna
Up
Lapu-Lapu City, located on the northern part of Mactan Island, is bounded by the Magellan Bay on the north, the Mactan Channel on the west, the Hilutungan Channel on the East, and the Municipality of Cordova on the South. The city has a land area of 6,422.6081 hectares.
 
On April 27, 1521, Lapu-Lapu, a native chieftain, successfully repulsed the foreign invaders in Mactan. He defeated the Spanish troops and killed their leader, Ferdinand Magellan. Lapu-Lapu City, formerly the Municipality of Opon, was founded by the Augustinian missionaries in 1730. It was ceded to the Jesuits in 1737, and later retored to the Augustinians. When the Philippine Revolution spread to the Visayas in 1896, the people organized themselves into local revolutionary units.
 
During the Filipino-American War, a military government was established. The continued resistance of the people of Cebu prompted the American government to restore military control over the province on July 17, 1901. In 1905, Opon held its first municipal election and Pascual dela Serna was elected town president.
 
The presence of oil tanks in Opon made the town an object of Japanese raids a week after the outbreak of World War II in December 1941. The enemy planes succedeed in blowing up two of about fourteen oil tanks in Opon. A unit of the Kawaguchi Detachment of the Japanese Imperial Forces landed on the east coast of Cebu on April 10, 1942. Later, the resistance movement ws organized by Colonel James F. Cushing, leader of the southern and central units, and Harry Fentorn of the northern unit of the Cebu Resistance Movement.
 
The Victor II operations of the American Division led by Major General William Arnold landed in Cebu on March 26, 1945, and subsequently liberated the province. Lapu-Lapu was made into a chartered city by RA 3134 on June 17, 1961. It was inagurated on December 31, 1961, with Mariano Dimataga, the last municipal mayor, as the first city mayor.
 
As a fast growing commercial city, some of its commercial and industrial firms are the General Milling Company, one of the largest in the country; the Cebu Shipyard and Engineering Works, pioneered by Dad Cleland; and the oil companies which resumed their operations after the war. The air flight in the city is served by the Mactan Alternate International Airport.
 
Historically, the city is the site of the famous "Battle of Mactan". On August 1, 1973, by virtue of Presidential Decree No. 2060, President Ferdinand E. Marcos declared the site of the battle as a national shrine; the preservation, restoration and/or reconstruction of which shall be under the supervision and control of the National Historical Commission in collaboration with the Department of Tourism. Mactan is also the birthplace of Leonila Dimataga-Garcia, wife of the late Carlos P. Garcia, the fourth President of the Republic.
 
Source: Symbols of the State, Republic of the Philippines
Published by: Bureau of Local Government, Dept. of Local Gov't. & Communication Dev. (1975)
 
Up