Nerrolken
post Aug 15 2007, 12:26 PM
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4
Gamertag: Nerrolken

As most of you now know by now, Micro$oft, in its infinite wisdom, has just released a set of guidelines determining how their fans can use their intellectual property. It seems that as long as you create purely G-rated material with their M-rated game, take a vow of poverty for the duration of your series, don't use any trademarked names like "Microsoft" "Bungie" or "Halo," recreate each of the thousands of sound effects from scratch and write all your own music, promise not to push the boundries of what can be done in the game, and erase all relevancy to the game universe itself, then Microsoft has nothing against you using their games to make movies. And while I'm sure the world at large will enjoy all of the not-for-profit, silent-movie, non-violent gameplay montages to come, we here at Edgeworks think that this decision on Microsoft's part is not only incredibly damaging to a budding artform, but also a surprisingly counter-productive move for a company spending literally hundreds of millions of dollars on advertising to keep their games in people's minds for as long as possible. The amount of time a fan spends watching Halo machinima, let alone making Halo machinima, vastly outweighs the amount of time that same fan would spend watching ads for Halo 3 on television, and is much more effective at establishing the Halo franchise as something they want to spend their time enjoying.

However, Big Brother has spoken, and we must obey. Production was going to begin this week on a trailer for The Reclaimer, a sequel to The Codex and the final chapter in the Codex Series trilogy. Sadly, that sequel will never be made.

There is some confusion about whether these rules apply to future productions or are retro-active for all machinima, so until we get definitive clarification, we're going to assume that movies made before this announcement cannot be expected to adhere to principles unavailable during production. We are, therefore, going to remain online for now. However, rumor has it that Microsoft's Cease and Desist letters come with gag orders, preventing you from discussing why you went offline, so just know that if we go offline, it will be because Microsoft shut us down.

We at Edgeworks believe that machinima is a great way for budding filmmakers to learn and explore the art of storytelling, and we believe that a grassroots swell of creative people expanding upon their favorite games can only help the popularity and sales of the games in question. We believe that letting fans pour their creativity into a product elevates it even further, and that sort of passion should never be restrained. Microsoft had the opportunity to be at the vanguard of this movement and to go down in history as the company that sheperded community participation from the fringes to the heart of the entertainment world. Instead, they chose to strangle the infant in its crib.

Once again, I am reminded why I use a Mac.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Deomitrus
post Aug 15 2007, 12:55 PM
Post #2

Gold General
Group Icon

Group: Edgeworks Sponsor
Member No.: 929

I feel Microsoft made the wrong move here. It's going to hurt them more than it will hurt this machinima. One of the number one reasons Halo keeps going is because of the machinima. Shut down machinima, Halo goes back to the dusty shelves, and no more XBL, et cetera.

But it's mostly because it's a large corporation. If I'm a fat CEO of a multi-billion dollar company, I could care less about what kids do with some stupid product that gives me lots of money. And if the marketing goes down on a product, I could again care less, because I'm rich and retired, enjoying myself in my custom in-home SPA.

The only solution now, is hurt Microsoft where it hurts the most.
+Quote Post
Geo.c Ghost
post Aug 15 2007, 01:06 PM
Post #3

Oracle
Group Icon

Group: Codex Sponsor
Member No.: 365
Gamertag: Geo Ghost

Those freaking demons! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

Seriously, are Microsoft just asking to get shot.
They have enough enemies as it is, now they are making more!

Bungie made a special save-film feature for Halo3, and now it's main use is... well usless.

I've spend almost 2 years perfecting a trilogy and working on it and i was hoping the first series to be ready for 2008. Now... that will never happen. I had a dream to push the the game and my imagination to the limits... and this happens.

Nerrolken, we would have loved to see what great ideas you came out with next.

Who is the first to start a petition against the sudden change?
What about RvB aswell? Does that mean they are banned from making further videos since they manage to cash in on it party. God Microsoft only care about making more bloody money than keeping people happy.

Ok guys, what other games can we use?
What is G-rated?
and shouldn't this be Bungie's call for Halo? It's their game. They made it. Should be their rules.

*Few days later, Bungie makes a contract with EA games to produce and distribute Halo3* (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Disease
post Aug 15 2007, 01:12 PM
Post #4

Gold General

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,331
Gamertag: Disease 61

yet another reson why microsoft wants me to hate them.
+Quote Post
CLT11
post Aug 15 2007, 01:21 PM
Post #5

Seraph
Group Icon

Member No.: 127
Gamertag: TheJadedTarget

Well, now would be a good time for me to say:

"Any of you forum goers interested in a not-so-state-of-the-art Xbox 360?"

Seriously. This just killed the hopes and dreams of many, many people. I am not a machinimaker, but I love the work done by them. This is a sad announcement indeed.

And it may be the beginning of an industry larger than microsoft. Black Market Machinima. lol
+Quote Post
Deomitrus
post Aug 15 2007, 01:41 PM
Post #6

Gold General
Group Icon

Group: Edgeworks Sponsor
Member No.: 929

I wonder how a boycott of Halo 3 would deal with Microsoft. That would screw them so bad... ahahaha.
+Quote Post
Praetor
post Aug 15 2007, 01:58 PM
Post #7

Cast and Crew
Group Icon

Group: Cast and Crew
Member No.: 26
Gamertag: Malahk

It's funny, Microsoft's lawyers only see in black and white, and they don't understand that every time someone makes a machinima, even a bad one, it's still FREE advertising. They would have had to spend millions in time and money to get the kind of ad revenue they probably reaped from a site like this one, but the only cost to them was allowing us machinima makers somewhat free reign over the license.

Sure, I get that it's their IP, and that it's their deal, but they are alienating an enormous community of people by doing this. But, a company like that will never actually understand how much money they stood to make by actively regulating the good machinimas.

It boils down to this: If we managed to somehow sell just one copy of Halo, then we were a positive influence on the Halo IP, and they should be able to recognize that. The fact that they don't speaks volumes about how blind the company is as a whole to the gamers that are spending hundreds on their products each month.

It's been a fun ride, regardless of the outcome, and I'm thankful for the chance to have been a part of such a great community. This place is truly inspiring in a variety of ways, and I don't want to say good bye just yet, but in case this site does mysteriously disappear from the webs one day...

Thanks for everything, it's been one hell of a ride.

-Praetor
Patrick M. Malone
+Quote Post
Aglor
post Aug 15 2007, 02:04 PM
Post #8

Honor Guard

Member No.: 970
Gamertag: Aglor 123

Well, in my opinion, people will keep making Machinima. Then, Microsoft sends it's army of lawyers to the machinimaker's house. The machinimaker opens up with a hunting rifle, because Microsoft is trespassing. It'll happen. Just watch. Anyway, Microsoft is no doubt going to recieve several angry letters, etc, and will eventually allow this machinima to continue. A real shame, though. I was waiting to hear about a third series, and it's just a shame that news of it has come in such a poor time. I am reminded of what Sqattingb said once:
Well I've always wondered where this forum is going to go. How long will it last? (hopefully forever *wishful thinking*) and what will we do once it's done? What will happen to everyone here, will we just scatter to the winds... or you know still keep together. It's almost too sad to think about.
I'll leave it at that.
+Quote Post
Real Gangster
post Aug 15 2007, 02:46 PM
Post #9

White Commander
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,189

Its all starting to make sense......why Red vs. Blue ends with Season 5, why Bungie havn't added Machinima improving features (like depth of field) to the recorder, why they wouldn't allow Edgeworks to make DVD's.

I just can't believe this.....I mean, for christ sake, I can understand why they won't allow hacking e.t.c, but, why won't they allow people to "add to the game universe or expand on the story told in the game with "lost chapters" or back story or anything like that". I mean, what next, Micro$oft are going to sue people for writing Fan Fiction and posting it on the internet (certainly from the sound of that rule, it seems like that could be plausable)

What practically makes me vomit in my mouth is that, while Micro$oft won't allow Rooster Teeth + Edgeworks to continue Machinima, they are still using Red vs. Blue to advertise Halo 3 (on Gamestop.com)

Honestly, they rule has to be altered.....although, it says backstory.......The Reclaimer wouldn't be adding a backstory to the Halo games, it would be adding to a story in a seperate universe.

If Edgeworks dies., I would just like to say it has been an honour to have been a member and fan of this site for 2 years......good luck with your lives everyone.

I will finish this post with a quote from "300"

(To Leonidas) "It has been an honor to have died by your side."

"It is an honour to have lived by yours.."
+Quote Post
sbear
post Aug 15 2007, 02:47 PM
Post #10

Forerunner
Group Icon

Group: Moderation Team
Member No.: 279

Hear hear, Alex. However, can we not still make machinimas to show our friends, locally? There may still be some hope.
+Quote Post
KingKnight
post Aug 15 2007, 02:50 PM
Post #11

White Commander

Member No.: 4,708
Gamertag: TheSoldier1851

Hey Aglor you still making The Blade after this very sad Incident?

And this is to Nerollken (Sorry if i spell your name wrong (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) )
I usually use a mac to post on Forums too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Aglor
post Aug 15 2007, 03:06 PM
Post #12

Honor Guard

QUOTE(KingKnight @ Aug 15 2007, 04:50 PM) *

Hey Aglor you still making The Blade after this very sad Incident?

Well, I don't know.
Of course I am! I may not release it online, but I'm finishing this thing! I've worked on it for far too long to quit now!
I doubt it.
+Quote Post
Geo.c Ghost
post Aug 15 2007, 03:10 PM
Post #13

Oracle
Group Icon

Member No.: 365
Gamertag: Geo Ghost

Microsoft can't shut down Edgeworks because of this!

Alex! You could make the reclaimer in real-time! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
{HFD}Wesman
post Aug 15 2007, 03:14 PM
Post #14

White Commander
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,056
Gamertag: HFDhunter

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) NOOOOOO!!!!!
+Quote Post
Mcdoogleh
post Aug 15 2007, 03:37 PM
Post #15

Seraph

Member No.: 2,439
Gamertag: Mcdoogleh

I MAKE MY RETURN, NERROLKEN, DONT YOU DARE STOP!

I just read this, and I have to post on this, you have a solid community behind you and the cavarly has just arrived.

(IMG:http://static.filefront.com/images/personal/n/Nabsuh/63282/erphqojkve.jpg)

Nerrolken, keep doing what you are the best at, making machinima.
+Quote Post
Aglor
post Aug 15 2007, 03:42 PM
Post #16

Honor Guard

Holy God, that's a lot of ships.
+Quote Post
tb2571989
post Aug 15 2007, 03:44 PM
Post #17

Oracle

From: In my room, quietly sobbing over the corpse of my 360 with it's three red lights.
Member No.: 405
Gamertag: Don't have XBL *sniff*

Im so sorry Edgeworks. So so sorry. It seems blind of Microsoft to ignore this potentially massive source of publicity. Why does EA or Ubisoft not do the same? Because...just because. At least we were right in one sense: there was going to be a sequal to the Codex.
+Quote Post
Aglor
post Aug 15 2007, 03:54 PM
Post #18

Honor Guard

Nerrolken, I just thought I'd tell you, the score is more like Microsoft 1, Mac/Community 25,001.
+Quote Post
Spartan 501
post Aug 15 2007, 04:16 PM
Post #19

Seraph

Member No.: 4,069
Gamertag: AftCobra

This really is a sad moment...so many things won't be done...
+Quote Post
Lordstemplar1
post Aug 15 2007, 04:18 PM
Post #20

Seraph

Member No.: 928
Gamertag: Lordstemplar1

Nice look at things Nerroklen. Too bad about Reclaimer though. Btw, MACs 4 EVER!!!!
+Quote Post

23 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2007 - 05:40 PM