Enjoy Windows Media Center on your Xbox 360, with your Music, Pictures, Live and Recorded TV*, and Online Media
Windows Vista-based Media Center PC includes all the software to use your Xbox 360 as an Extender. You do not need to download additional software. Use the following steps to connect your Xbox 360.
If you were previously using your Xbox 360 with a Windows XP Media Center Based PC, you will need to remove existing connection. Otherwise skip to step 2.
At the Windows XP Media Center PC
- Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to Media Center, and then click Media Center Extender Manager.
- Select your Xbox 360 and click Properties.
- Click Remove.
- Click Yes to confirm removal.
At the Xbox 360
- In the System section, select Computers.
- Select Windows Media Center, and then press the A button.
- Select Disconnect.
- Press the B button repeatedly until you return to the System section.
STEP 2 Gather Setup Key from Xbox 360
- Press the Start button on the remote or go to the Media section of the Xbox 360 dashboard.
- Select Media Center.
- Advance through the on-screen instructions to obtain the 8 digit Media Center Setup Key. Write this key down.
STEP 3 Add Extender
- At the Windows Vista-based Media Center PC, launch Windows Media Center. Select Start, Windows Media Center.
- Select Tasks, Add Extender.
- When prompted, provide the 8 digit setup key you received at the Xbox 360.
- Complete the Extender setup.
STEP 4 Print the Media Center Quick Reference Guide
Learn more about adding your Xbox 360 to your Windows Vista-based Media Center PC using the step by step guide.
Listen to Music, Watch Videos* & View Pictures on your Xbox 360
Using Microsoft Windows Media Player, you can stream music, pictures, and video from your computer to your Xbox 360. You do not need to download additional software. Use the following steps to connect your Xbox 360.
Step 1: Launch Windows Media Player
- At the Windows Vista-based PC, launch Windows Media Player. Select Start, Windows Media Player.
Step 2: Turn on media sharing.
- Click the arrow below the Library tab, and then click Media Sharing.
- In the Media Sharing dialog box, select the Share my media to check box.
- In the list of devices below the Share my media to check box, select your Xbox 360.
- click Allow
- click OK
Step 3: Configure your Xbox 360
At the Xbox 360
- In the Media section, select Music, Picture or Photos.
- Select Computer, and then press the A button.
- Select YES, Continue, and then press the A button.
- Select your Windows Vista-based PC, and then press the A button.
- Find the music, pictures, or video you want to play, and select an item to play it.
Learn more about media sharing.
Learn more about Windows Media Player.
* To stream video to your Xbox360 console you must update your console with the FALL 06 update.