Professor Sir Ian Kershaw, B.A. (Liv.), D.Phil. (Oxon.), F.B.A.
Professor of Modern History [Modern German History]
Room: 387 Glossop Road: C7 | Telephone: (0114) 22 22550
Ian Kershaw studied at Liverpool and Oxford Universities. He was a lecturer first in medieval, then in modern, history at the University of Manchester. In 1983-4 he was Visiting Professor of Modern History at the Ruhr University in Bochum, West Germany. From 1987 to 1989 he was Professor of Modern History at the University of Nottingham, and since 1989 has been Professor of Modern History at Sheffield. He is a fellow of the British Academy, of the Royal Historical Society, of the Wissenschaftskolleg zu Berlin, and of the Alexander von Humboldt-Stiftung in Bonn.
Professor Sir Ian Kershaw was the consultant to the BAFTA-winning BBC-TV series, 'The Nazis: A Warning from History', BBC2's 'War of the Century', German television (ZDF)'s 'Hitler: eine Bilanz', and 'Holokaust', BBC's 'Timewatch' programmes on 'Operation Sealion' (planned invasion of Britain), Himmler, and 'The Making of Adolf Hitler', and to the BBC TV series 'Auschwitz'. His books, notably the two volume biography of Hitler, have been translated into numerous languages and been awarded several prizes.
|Teaching and Research Supervision|
Professor Kershaw's research interests include twentieth-century German history, especially the Third Reich.
|Administrative Roles and Responsibilities|
- Making Friends with Hitler: Lord Londonderry and the British Road to War, (London, 2004)
- Hitler, 1936-2000: Nemesis, (London, 2000)
- Hitler, 1889-1936: Hubris, (London, 1998)
- Stalinism and Nazism: Dictatorships in Comparison, (ed. with Moshe Lewin) (Cambridge, 1997)
- Hitler: A Profile in Power, (London, 1991, rev. 2001)
- Weimar. Why did German Democracy Fail?, (ed.) (London, 1990)
- The 'Hitler Myth'. Image and Reality in the Third Reich (Oxford, 1987, rev. 2001)
- The Nazi Dictatorship. Problems and Perspectives of Interpretation, (London, 1985, 4th ed., 2000)
- Popular Opinion and Political Dissent in the Third Reich. Bavaria, 1933-45, (Oxford, 1983, rev. 2002)
- Bolton Priory Rentals and Ministers; Accounts, 1473-1539, (ed.) (Leeds, 1969)
- Bolton Priory. The Economy of a Northern Monastery, (Oxford, 1973)
- The Bolton Priory Compotus, 1286-1325, (ed. with David Smith) (London, 2001)