Located at Cove Fort
For more information go to:
The first settlers
in the Cove Creek area were the family of Charles W. and Eleanor Willden.
They were English converts to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day
Saints who had come to Utah in 1849. Because Charles was an iron worker,
Brigham Young called him to work in the Cedar City iron mission in the
1850s. Willden, like many others, camped here at Cove Creek on the way to
his assignment. After the iron works closed down, Charles acquired 160
acres here to establish a farm and way station.
The Willdens planted five
cottonwood trees and began constructing "Fort Willden" here in
the bank of Cove Creek in 1860. They erected an adobe house and a corral,
enclosing both in a 150-foot-square cedar post stockade. They also raised
a crop of grain. Before retreating to Beaver for the winter, they
"cached" their grain for spring planting, carefully storing it
for their return.
The Willdens' newlywed daughter and her husband were
trapped here by a late winter snowstorm in 1861. Because the adobe house
had no coverings over the windows, the couple built a small dugout cabin
for shelter and warmth and subsisted on the grain cached there in the
In the spring, the whole family moved back and build a two-room
house in the 8-to-10 foot high stockade. Many travelers found Fort Willden
a convenient stopover between Salt Lake City and St. George, and the
ranch-fort thrived for a few years.
After a harsh winter and with the
growing threat of they Blackhawk Indian war, the Willdens abandoned the
fort in 1865. Early in 1867 the deserted fort was used to set up an office
of the Deseret Telegraph. Later that year, the Cove Fort pioneers arrived
and for several years they used Fort Willden as part of their larger
Sources: Fort Wilden Interpretive Marker at Cove