Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Transformers Universe UNUSED Bios - Downshift
Jim S
post Dec 25 2007, 11:49 AM
Post #1

Group: Citizen
Member No.: 10,141
Faction: Decepticon

In my quest to collect model sheets, I've purchased a few Transformers bibles on sites like ebay. I thought I'd share a few of the bios that didn't make it into the Transformers Universe.

Extended Bio

Autobot Celica
Code Name: Downshift
Function: Air Defense

Profile: Nothing pleases Downshift...or so he thought. Back on Cybertron this battle-weary soldier had fought for so many millennia that he began to wonder whether it was worth it for him to continue. But once he came to Earth he found everything around him fresh and new and he delighted in all his optical sensors saw. He particularly enjoys the company of human children, or, as he likes to call them, mini-men and mini-women (although he has as much trouble telling them apart as his fellow Autobots). His sullenness about the Autobots' mission is often of concern to Optimus Prime, but he generally follows orders, however grudgingly, because deep down he knows this truth: the unending Autobot resistance is preferable to a rapid Decepticon victory.

Abilities: In robot mode, Downshift carries twin ground-to-air rocket launchers on his shoulders. The rockets use magnetism to guide their path, limiting them to mostly iron and steel targets, such as Decepticons. The launchers can also be used while he's in his car mode, making Downshift a very effective covert warrier. In either mode, the rockets can travel up to 30 miles and pack the explosive equivalent of a half ton of TNT. He also wields a "rust rifle" which shoots a stream of powerful liquid oxidizing agents. A blast of this can seriously harm and debilitate a metallic foe.

Weaknesses: Downshift' s weapons are mostly ineffective against non-ferrous materials, a fact that can be used to his disadvantage by an opponent. His soldierly instincts are often hampered by his sullen moods.

Brief Bio

Autobot Downshift

Function: Air-Defense

Fought for so long on .Cybertron he wondered whether to continue... nothing pleased him until arrival on Earth ...here he delights in everything...all fresh and new to him...likes children...calls them mini-men and mini-women. Has magnetic-guided ground-to-air rocket launchers on shoulders in robot mode... also can be used in car mode...30 mile range … rust rifle weakens foes with stream of liquid oxidizing agents. Not effective versus non-ferrous foes.

“If war is the only reason to live, then living isn't worth it.”

STR: 5
INT: 7
END: 6
CRG: 6
SPD: 7
RNK: 6
FRP: 8
SKL: 9
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Walky
post Dec 25 2007, 11:54 AM
Post #2

Lemme axe you a question.

Member No.: 245
Faction: Autobot

oh my god

+Quote Post
Detour
post Dec 25 2007, 12:27 PM
Post #3

Coming to a store near you...

Member No.: 4,369

Good stuff. I always liked Downshift, nice to see what his personality was originally meant to be.

+Quote Post
Fortress Ironhol...
post Dec 25 2007, 12:30 PM
Post #4

Blasphemer

Member No.: 5,902

TFU.info has him listed as a "security agent."

+Quote Post
The Walky
post Dec 25 2007, 12:32 PM
Post #5

IIRC, that's Japan's function for him.

+Quote Post
Liquid Velcro!
post Dec 25 2007, 12:37 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 1,674

The US Omnibots had functions in at least one of the mailaway forms, which is where the tfu.info functions come from. The copy writers may have never had access to these and had to make up their own - although someone had access to these at some point, because the weapons listed for Downshift are the same as those listed in his instruction booklet.

+Quote Post
mignash
post Dec 25 2007, 01:16 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 9,988
Faction: Maximal

So what was the book these were printed in? Was it something from Marvel?

+Quote Post
Bass X10
post Dec 25 2007, 01:19 PM
Post #8

Keep on chasing! Try to catch it! We love big dreams

Member No.: 3,679

Marvel did their own profile books called Transformers: Universe.
Here: http://www.ntfa.net/universe/english/index...har=Afterburner

This post has been edited by Bass X10: Dec 25 2007, 01:20 PM

+Quote Post
mignash
post Dec 25 2007, 01:21 PM
Post #9

okay, and the topic of this thread was unused Transformers universe bios, so I asked if these were from Marvel. Get it?

+Quote Post
The Walky
post Dec 25 2007, 01:24 PM
Post #10

Whatever it is you're talking about, it is going way over our heads.

+Quote Post
Jim S
post Dec 25 2007, 02:14 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 10,141

QUOTE(mignash @ Dec 25 2007, 10:16 AM) *
So what was the book these were printed in? Was it something from Marvel?

These bios have never been previously published to my knowledge. They were from a comics bible that I purchased on ebay, written by Bob Budiansky. There were also bios for just about every other Transformers toy from 1984-1988. They had extended versions and brief versions. The brief versions were combined with the box art to became the tech specs. The extended versions were combined with inked and colored versions of the model sheets to form the Marvel Comics Transformers Universe profile entries.

In a very real sense, these are both the tech specs and the Transformers Universe entries for the Omnibots, had they received such. The other bios floating out there come from translations of the Japanese techspecs or from Dreamwave. I'm not sure if Dreamwave drew inspiration from the Japanese bios at all.

JimS

+Quote Post
Chip
post Dec 25 2007, 03:32 PM
Post #12

The light that smashes lies!

Member No.: 2,433

Holy mother of God. This stuff is the holy grail of Transformers as far as I'm concerned. Please, please post more; the extended bios for the deluxe Insecticons certainly sound interesting, even if they're not groundbreaking the way these are.

Bob was good; these personalities seem way more "solid" than the others that were developed later for these characters. What an awesome Christmas present.

+Quote Post
mignash
post Dec 25 2007, 03:57 PM
Post #13

I'd definitely like to see more. Can you link us to the ended auction on ebay? I'd like to see it too.

+Quote Post
Telly
post Dec 25 2007, 04:10 PM
Post #14

The clown that makes the dark side FUN!

Group: Retired Staff
Member No.: 6,572

QUOTE(mignash @ Dec 25 2007, 01:21 PM) *
okay, and the topic of this thread was unused Transformers universe bios, so I asked if these were from Marvel. Get it?

QUOTE(The Walky @ Dec 25 2007, 01:24 PM) *
Whatever it is you're talking about, it is going way over our heads.

i think what hes getting at is were these intended for a second volume of the comic universe profiles back in the day, but never used (they were planning one werent they? hence the profiles in the back of some of the regular issues. i thought i read something like that in one of the letters pages). since jim said they were from a comics bible, id guess whats what they were

+Quote Post
The Walky
post Dec 25 2007, 04:43 PM
Post #15

That seems wrong to me, and that it's much more likely that these were intended for the first volume of TFU profiles but were dropped. Why would Bob go back and write profiles for three-year-old mail-in exclusives?

+Quote Post
Captain GARlock
post Dec 25 2007, 04:48 PM
Post #16

Go beyond the impossible and kick reason to the curb!

Member No.: 62
Faction: Free Agent

Which Transformers Universe are we talking about here? The Marvel profiles or Hasbro's Transformers Universe?

+Quote Post
Chip
post Dec 25 2007, 04:54 PM
Post #17

The light that smashes lies!

Member No.: 2,433

I expect it's more that Bob wrote the long-form bios first, and condensed them down for the back-of-box bios. That seems like an easier way to work, and he would need the long versions to work out who the characters were so he could do the comic. So these might have been written without necessarily an eye toward publication.

+Quote Post
FortMax
post Dec 25 2007, 05:46 PM
Post #18

^ Not Cybertron Metroplex or Mudflap

Member No.: 7,220
Faction: Free Agent

If you can, the could you post the full bios for Hubcap, Swerve, Scorponok, Rippersnapper, Hun-Gurr, Sinnertwin, Amobminus, Flywheels, and the Target Master versions of Hot Rod, Kup, Blurr, Cyclonus and Scoruge? They weren't included in Transformers Universe.

It would also be nice to see the condensed bios for Bruticus and Abombinus. Those were never published since the Combaticons and Terrorcons never got a giftset release outside of Japan and Italy. (Although Predaking was only released as a giftset in Japan his tech specs were printed on the instruction sheets from the individual Predacon releases.)

This post has been edited by FortMax: Dec 25 2007, 06:03 PM

+Quote Post
mignash
post Dec 25 2007, 05:48 PM
Post #19

Okay, so Bob Budinsky wrote long and short bios for the tech spec and comic biography pages from Marvel (Called Transformers Universe, not the toy line, a comic book series from the 1980s), and these were left out of it, and this is the first time the fan community has seen them. I'm very happy about this. If anyone had the gumption, I'd love to see an actual scan or picture of the show-bible.

+Quote Post
Fortress Ironhol...
post Dec 25 2007, 05:56 PM
Post #20

Blasphemer

Member No.: 5,902

QUOTE(FortMax @ Dec 25 2007, 04:46 PM) *
IIRC, Hubcap and Scorponok never had profiles printed in TFU.

It would also be nice to see the condensed bios for Bruticus and Abombinus. Those were never published since the Combaticons and Terrorcons never got a giftset release outside of Japan and Italy. (Although Predaking was only released as a giftset in Japan his tech specs were printed on the instruction sheets from the individual Predacon releases.)

So let's see, then:

Camshaft

Downshift

Overdrive

Power Dashers

Hubcap

Scorponok

Venom

Chop Shop

Ransack

Barrage

Pretenders (I don't recall seeing any of them getting profiles despite their being main characters in the final years)

Micro Masters (ditto)

Action Masters (none of the new characters got any, despite Krok and a few others making appearances)

Quickswitch (I don't think he ever got one)

Sixshot (ditto)

Wheelie

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
6 User(s) are reading this topic (6 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th December 2007 - 06:06 PM