The grand opening ceremony for the new national headquarters of the Lincoln Highway Association was
held Saturday, April 21, 2007. The offices are at 402 West Washington Street, South Bend, Indiana.  This will be the headquarters for David L. Hay, the LHA's first executive director. Hay brings solid academic credentials and a wide range of experience to his position. He earned an MBA from Northwestern University and a Ph.D. in American history from the University of  Notre Dame. He has worked in fundraising, communications, and executive management in both the for-profit and non-profit worlds.  "I am excited to be working for this great organization," Hay said. "Is it rare to find the opportunity to combine one's skills and passions, and it's my good fortune to be able to do that here." Hay said that highways embody his love of cars and the freedom to go where people want to go. "The Lincoln Highway continues to be a place where we can do just that," he added.

The LHA search committee was headed by President Bob Lichty. Others included Jan Shupert-Arick, LHA vice president; Olga Herbert, executive director of Pennsylvania's Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor and a member of the LHA board of directors; and Bill Arick, treasurer of the association's endowment committee, which provided funds for the new position.  Working with the LHA's five-member executive committee and 15-member board of directors, Hay will conduct fundraising activities, planning, and projects with national focus.

South Bend Mayor Stephen Luecke and LHA President Bob Lichty dedicated a replica Lincoln Highway concrete marker to commemorate the event.

Dr. David L. Hay

On display were Studebaker vehicles, and Lincoln Highway memorabilia from the collection of Russell Rein, a Director of the Lincoln Highway Association.

The association's offices are in South Bend's historic Remedy Building, also headquarters for the northern regional offices of the Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indiana. The telephone number is (574) 233-0393, and the e-mail address is hay.1@nd.edu.

Rerouting to South Bend Regional Airport
includes historic references to Lincoln Highway
By Mary Ann Swope
from the
New Carlisle News

The future of South Bend's historic Lincolnway West corridor: rerouting the road, honoring the heritage was the subject of John Schalliol's speech at the July 28, 2006 Symposium on the Status of the Lincoln Highway in Indiana. Schalliol, the Executive Director of South Bend Regional Airport showed the interested crowd a landscape drawing at the symposium dinner held in the airport atrium. He explained how the
highway rerouting should make a safer entry into the airport and maintain good traffic flow. Driving to the airport from New Carlisle, U S 20 will bend a bit to the southeast at Pine Road through a new interchange at the 31 Bypass and then connect with a roundabout at Mayflower Road. Another roundabout will be constructed at the entrance to the airport. From the west the U S 20 designation will stop at the Bypass and resume on the east side of Elkhart. From South Bend, the highway will remain Lincolnway to the Bypass and then U S 20 to New Carlisle and beyond. The first phase of the rerouting should be completed this month for the airport entrance roundabout and the other one by Mayflower Road. The next phase of construction by 2007-2008 with completion of the project expected by Thanksgiving of 2009.

A new area of the airport incorporated into the plan is to be named Lincoln Highway Park to commemorate our heritage and at the same time add beauty to the landscape. The plan is described as follows: "Lincoln Highway Commemorative Park recreates the original alignment of the Lincoln Highway as it passed though the native Indiana landscape of hardwood forest and prairie.

"The park consists of a two-lane section of concrete roadway as it would have existed in the early 1920's. Lining the original roadway were concrete directional markers and metal signage displaying the Lincoln Highway logo. These markers will be spaced along the roadway in order to portray the original character of the section and to further emphasize alignment through the park. Vintage vehicles could be displayed on the section to further characterize the space. Of equal importance to the roadway is the establishment of the surrounding landscape. To recreate the landscape, as it would have been seen in the 20's, native Indiana prairie and woodland will be reestablished surrounding the roadway section. Winding through the prairie and woodland will be a crushed stone pathway to lead pedestrians to the alignment. A small seating and viewing area is located along the roadway with interpretive signage displaying the history behind the Lincoln Highway and surrounding landscape."

"One of the best kept secrets," Schalliol says, "is that the South Bend Regional Airport is the only airport in the country (since November of 1992) that has rail, bus, and air services all in one facility and the only one with an intercity rail."  Mr. Schalliol began his career at South Bend Regional Airport 29 years ago, the last 25 as its executive director. He talked a bit about the history of the airport. Originally it was Bendix Field before use as a public airport in 1931-32 and then referred to as Bendix Airport. Purchased by the City of South Bend in 1936, it became the South Bend Municipal Airport. From 1938 through 1973 it was the St. Joseph County Airport-Bendix Field. The airport was renamed Michiana Regional Airport in 1974 and also called South Bend Airport and Bendix Field. It was the Michiana Regional Transportation Center in 1993 and since 2000, officially the South Bend Regional Airport.

John Schalliol, AAE, Executive Director of South Bend Regional Airport, speaks at Lincoln Highway Symposium.
Photo by MASwope

Jan Shupert-Arick, Indiana Director & President of the Lincoln Highway Association presented Mr. Schalliol with a Lincoln Highway commemorative medal. The LHA is encouraging towns and cities on the original Lincoln Highway route to return to their Lincoln Highway designation to further tourist attraction. Along with South Bend, other local communities such as New Carlisle, LaPorte, Valparaiso, Goshen, and Elkhart are on the original Lincoln Highway route. Shupert-Arick says, "We will all benefit from a Lincoln Highway designation. It will mean greater access to federal dollars and increased economic tourism, and it will build community pride and promote historic preservation."

A briefing,
Raising the bar in Valparaiso, was presented by Evan Summers, an intern from the Valparaiso Re-development Office, about his city's improvements. They already have the Lincoln Highway designation and rerouting in place with roundabouts. He says, "Folks there get it." They appreciate their heritage and have made the most of it.

The enthusiastic Todd Zeiger, Executive Director of Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indiana, Northern Regional Office, gave closing remarks to "the kindred spirits" in the room. One lucky winner at each table won a very cool vintage auto from the Lincoln Highway Association to take home - a tiny model, of course.

The history of the Lincoln Highway officially began on September 14, 1913, the country's first coast-to-coast route. It began at Times Square in New York and ended 3,389 miles westward in Lincoln Park, San Francisco, passing through a corridor of the United States somewhat similar to the route of today's Interstate Route 80. The new highway was the dawning of a national network of roads making the automobile a practical form of transportation for everybody.  The Lincoln Highway was so named to preserve Lincoln's memory. It was Henry Joy, President of the Packard Motor Company, who proposed naming the highway after President Lincoln because there was no memorial to Lincoln at that time (1912) though Lincoln had been dead about 50 years. (The Lincoln Highway Memorial in Washington DC was built in 1922.)