Latest News

City Observes Completion of Historic-Style Streetlight Project 

A ceremony is scheduled for 2 p.m., Dec. 17, to observe the completion of the SE 5th Street historic decorative streetlight project.

 
Project to have major impact on Lake Weir Avenue traffic 

The city of Ocala soon will be undertaking a project that will have a significant traffic flow impact on Lake Weir Avenue for about one year.

 
Two major projects starting on SE/SW 17th Street 

Two major Department of Transportation projects will be under way along SE/SW 17th Street for the next several months.

 

Latest Bids

ITB 08-019 

Grounds Maintenance for Water & Sewer Facilities
Non-Mandatory Pre-Bid Conference 1/22/08
at 9:00 a.m.
Due Date:
1/29/08 at 3:00 p.m. 

 
ITB 08-005 

Lift Station 18, 28, 45, 50, 54, & 137 Improvement Project
Mandatory Pre-Bid Conference 1/22/08 at 9:00 a.m.
Due Date:
2/5/08 at 3:00 p.m. 

 
ROQ 08-002 

 Pre-Qualification of Golf Course Construction Contractors for Ocala Golf Club
Due Date:
2/15/08 at 3:00 p.m.

 



Historic Highlights

  • Ocala's name comes from the extinct Timucuan Indians who called their village Ocali, commonly thought to mean "Big Hammock".  Today, many of Ocala's streets have historical Indian names, while others have Spanish names from old land grants.
  • Ocala was developed as a result of the Indian Wars in which Fort King played a strategic role.
  • In 1846 Ocala became the county seat of newly formed Marion County (honoring General Francis Marion).  By 1847 settlers constructed a courthouse on the square, the post office moved to Ocala, and a weekly newspaper was established.
  • Wealthy planters from South Carolina arrived in the 1850s, and outlying plantations were developed. By 1858 Ocala was one of the leading social and business centers in Florida.  The civil war all but destroyed business in Ocala, and the population dwindled to about 200 people.
  • In 1880 Joseph Caldwell platted a 50 block area southeast of the original city plat on land that had been part of the 1817 Alvarez grant.  The road from Ocala to Fort King ran across this land.
  • The center of town was virtually destroyed by fire on Thanksgiving Day in 1883.   In rebuilding, brick and other fire resistant materials were used instead of lumber.  Thus, Ocala became known as the "Brick City", a name still used today.
  • According to the 1885 Charter of Ocala, the Town of Ocala was locally incorporated in 1868; stated approval was granted on February 4, 1869.   At the time of incorporation, the city limits were set 1000 yards in all directions from the downtown square.  By 1890, Ocala had expanded to four square miles and its population had increased to 1,895; it was the fifth largest town in Florida.
  • Early homes in Ocala were constructed within a few blocks of the Court House Square, and are now part of the Ocala and Tuscawilla Park Historic Districts.  These homes represent the various periods of growth thru the years, ranging from large Victorian styles to small bungalows. 
Latest
Public Notices

Public Notice #0118080900(1) 
Notice Posted:
1/11/2008 4:46:59 PM

Ocala Police Officers' Retirement System
Board of Trustees Meeting

 

 
Public Notice #0117081700 
Notice Posted:
1/11/2008 4:44:33 PM

Withlacoochee Regional Planning Council Meeting 

 
Public Notice #0117081200 
Notice Posted:
1/11/2008 4:41:27 PM

 Tennis Advisory Board Meeting

 

Latest Poll

Do you like the new City of Ocala website?