Health care around the world is beset by
- rising costs
- declining access
- stagnant quality
- increasingly dissatisfied health care professionals.
fear their core values are threatened.
These values include:
the interests of individual patients ahead of other concerns;
with honesty and integrity;
- keeping patients' information
- teaching the next generation of health professionals;
medicine based on science and scientific principles.
generally unrecognized threats to these values arise from concentration
and abuse of power in health care systems,
- health care is increasingly
dominated by large organizations;
- these are often lead by the ill-informed,
the self-interested, and even the corrupt.
Thus, the results are:
- patients and physicians are caught in cross-fires between
- patients and physicians are subject
to perverse incentives;
- free speech and academic freedom are threatened;
and anti-science are gaining ground.