STRIKE TO STUN FORUM Forum Index STRIKE TO STUN FORUM
Welcome to STRIKE TO STUNS brandnew forums for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, Warhammer Fantasy Battle, Warhammer Skirmish and Mordheim

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

V1 + V2 or one without the other
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    STRIKE TO STUN FORUM Forum Index -> WFRP 1st edition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alea Jacta Est
Initiate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
p.s. I've tried fiddling with the syntax of the quote paramenters but it does seem to make any difference. The only way to resolve it is to remove the name completely.

Aye.
praecipitat, pulchrumque mori succurrit in armis.
Mournstorm
Initiate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could try it this way:

Didz wrote:
Quote:
p.s. I've tried fiddling with the syntax of the quote paramenters but it does seem to make any difference. The only way to resolve it is to remove the name completely.

A little extra work but you get the name of the originator of the quote etc...
Didz
Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Mournstorm"

Or you could try it this way:

Didz wrote:
Quote:
p.s. I've tried fiddling with the syntax of the quote parameters but it does seem to make any difference. The only way to resolve it is to remove the name completely.

A little extra work but you get the name of the originator of the quote etc...

But essentially you have removed the name from the syntax and placed it separately, which is the solution I noted. Albiet you had a different idea on what to do with it once its removed. I was actually fiddling around to see if I could get it to work without removing it.
Wolf
Adept

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My quote function doesn't seem to work either.

On the Dwarf Wizards issue, isn't the main point about it how it reflects a simplification of the game meaning that it now lacks a subtlety it had before? In v1 Dwarf wizards were pretty rare creatures. Their lack of aptitude for magic reflected in lower magic points and their background could easily support the sort of cultural attitudes Didz mentions. In v2 the rules now seem to ban any Dwarf or Halfling magic users.
Alea Jacta Est
Initiate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I always thought.
praecipitat, pulchrumque mori succurrit in armis.
Didz
Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted by Wolf
Quote:
In v1 Dwarf wizards were pretty rare creatures. Their lack of aptitude for magic reflected in lower magic points and their background could easily support the sort of cultural attitudes Didz mentions. In v2 the rules now seem to ban any Dwarf or Halfling magic users.

It strikes me as a laziness on the part of the designers, a bit like the AD&D rule that bans wizards from wearing armour.

Comes across as 'this is the rule' so up yours because we couldn't be bothered to come up with anything more rational. Its certainly not the way I run my games so personally I would ignore it.
Aldred Fellblade
Adept

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Higa that mechanics are important, sorry if we're not purist enough for you dirach, and the combat rules in v.2 were anathema to me. Mechanics can be important as they provide a basis upon which everything rests. When it comes to the business end of what happens to your character the players are depending on the mechanics. The v.2 combat rules are too mechanical IMO.

dirach,
As for the Empire background not having changed much I think you should look at the 'Ruling an Empire' thread and see the differences in background we came up with there. The differences between Didz and myself (for instance) there were largely the result of him using some of the WFB4 material and me not having done so, we both used TEW as our primary source. The changes to the Empire background could be considerable when taking up the v.2 material as well. You may say this are minor changes (as you have about the disappearance of an entire province in the past) but I disagree. If you play TEW you are likely to mix in high politics at some point and if you continue on from the campaign this is likely to increase.
dirach
Initiate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aldred Fellblade wrote:
I agree with Higa that mechanics are important, sorry if we're not purist enough for you dirach, and the combat rules in v.2 were anathema to me. Mechanics can be important as they provide a basis upon which everything rests. When it comes to the business end of what happens to your character the players are depending on the mechanics. The v.2 combat rules are too mechanical IMO.
I find mechanics to be important to, but not when it comes to style. I know that many put some "feelings" in the mechanics, and warhammer with d20 would have felt strange in the beginning. But still it is possible to play warhammer style with d20 rules.

If there is some mechanics that is important to the warhammer style I would say:

The carrers. the possibility of playing a rat catcher is making the warhammer style. (Basical the same in both versions, even if wfrp2 is more combat oriented)

Also the the mechanics that makes the game lethal, a mighty hero could be killed by some goblins if they're lucky. (With the Naked dwarf syndrome away, this aspect can be stronger in wfrp2 in some chases.)

These mechanics could be played out with D20 with some simple convertion.

So yes the Mechanics are important, as I don't want to make my own rules.

But still I would say that they don't tell much about the style. This is made up by background.

Aldred Fellblade wrote:

The changes to the Empire background could be considerable when taking up the v.2 material as well. You may say this are minor changes (as you have about the disappearance of an entire province in the past) but I disagree.
Ruling of an Empire was most about personal takes on the ruling of the Empire. But I didn't read all. Nice thread.

But in fairnes they did take away a province that no written background, except for who was the Elector Count. (I have not checked this, so I might be wrong). If all that is mentioned in a whole game is the name of the place and the name on he who rules it, then yes it is a minor element. As I see it, Solland have been a more interesting element as a destroyed province. Again I could be wrong, please give me references to wfrp1 stuff (Official) that gives more detail on Solland.
Wolf
Adept

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

v1 had the Electoral Province of Suddenland. There have been suggestions that Solland is its equivalent in the new background.
Chuck
Initiate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirach wrote:
I find mechanics to be important to, but not when it comes to style.

I think mechanics have quite a bit to do with the style and feel of the game. Take Paranoia (2nd edition, because I haven't played any of the others), whose ruleset was designed primarily for rapid resolution of skill and attribute checks with little thought of (or care for) real-world physics/mechanics. Can you imagine trying to establish a low-fantasy, grim atmosphere with rules whose primary purpose is to promote farce? Would it really feel the same?
Higa
Initiate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Chuck is on the spot here. There are indeed RPG's for which one easily could switch systems, but then there are good RPG's where the designers creates the rules which reflects what is given away in the background.

Hence, one cannot have a background telling that wizards is heavily drained from using magic, and then dont let this show in the system (this was an example, I actually dont think of v2 now, just a general statement). Or to state that even heroes should be aware the swords of goblins and then let the PC's get heaps of Hit Points, etc etc.

I remember the playtest and how some playtesters often pointed out that - expecially the magic system - some things in the background was not reflected by the v2-rules.

Is it possible to run every setting with any rules? Well, yes, it is - but with some systems (such as warhammer with d20, or indeed Paranoia) it would demand huge amount of rethinking and work - it would almost be like creating a new game in the end, I guess.
draeron
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Higa Wrote:
Quote:
Hence, one cannot have a background telling that wizards is heavily drained from using magic, and then dont let this show in the system (this was an example, I actually dont think of v2 now, just a general statement).

Just compare magic casting in D&D and Shadowrun. In the first, you can cast 3 fireball one after the other right if you had "memorised" the spell in advance, which is IMHO, the is the worst magic mechanic i know. In shadowrun, mage get damage when they cast, which make it more and more difficult to use your spells.

The basic core mechanics of a rpg is essential to setting a mood.
Black Knight
Masterthief

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twisted moon wrote:
classic edition for me. though i am considering adopting the magic mechanics from 2nd ed. only considering at this stage, mind.

Same here, just that I already have started testing the v2 magic in the v1 game.
Gareth
Initiate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started a new campaign a few weeks ago, useing v2 rules with v1 background. I am tempted to go back to v1 rules, but the players are pretty set on sticking w/v2.

As far as v2, all in all I am pretty disappointed in the direction v2 has gone.
hallucyon
Initiate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Good old Warhammer Reply with quote

Like many of you, I began my explorations of the Old World with v1 being my faithful companion. Albeit editorially poor, it offered something none other could compete with: a grim world of perilous adventure. Its universe, though heavily influenced by European history and geography, was full of its own, unique flavours which ensured that it was neither a facsimile of early renaissance Europe nor a blend of hackneyed fantasy ideas. Instead, Jim Bambra, Graeme Davis and Phil Gallagher somehow managed to concoct the most delicious roleplaying dish one could ever be offered to taste. People quickly lost their hearts to the Old World.

As teenagers my friends and I used to set off for the Empire twice or even thrice a week. Our journeys were long, gruesome, but absorbing. At that time we've travelled the furthest corners of Sigmar's fatherland and delved into the darkest depths of Human minds. Unfortunately, impeding studies scattered our party to the four winds. Our Warhammer World fell into disrepair.

Years were passing by, consecutive publishers failed to fulfill fans' sophisticated demands, and eventually the line ceased to exist. Dark Ages began. Small groups of fans, dispersed all over the world, contrived to organise themselves by means of the web. A community that has risen as a result supported the game with unofficial products, many of them being paramount to the official ones. Their activity had its peaks and troughs but the fire of ardour has never been put out.

I wish I had had a chance to join them at that time...

A few steps past the threshold of the twenty-first century the community was stirred up by the news of the line being raised from the dead: the original publisher had decided to release the game again. Editors of the second edition ruled that WFRP timeline should be consistent with that of WFB which resulted in introduction of the Storm of Chaos. Playtesters, among whom there were several v1 veterans, groaned with dismay. The Old World has changed its face.

Shortly after graduation I decided to get back to the Empire. Totally oblivious of the market's events I was considering purchase of an original English v1 rulebook. A friend of mine learnt of my plans and convinced me to wait a few months for the second edition. I did. Every week I popped in to BI's website to download the rulebook's previews. Whole weekends I dedicated to meticulous study and subsequent discussion of that few pdfs. We were astonished to learn of Karl Franz's successful reigns in the second decade of the twenty-sixth century -- it turned out that keeping continuity with v1 had not been the publisher's objective! None the less, we were trustful and anxiously expected the release...

I think I was among those gamers who were the first in Poland to get their hands on the new rulebook. Like a doddery old man is unable to fasten his belt properly, I experienced similar difficulties in opening the package. As soon as I eventually managed to unwrap the book, I plunged into reading. I remember it as if that was yesterday: after a sleepless night I went to work where, what an irony!, someone remarked I looked like a zombie!

It took me almost a fortnight to study the rulebook and design my first adventure after a years long gap without Warhammer. Excited like little boys we sat down and played our first session which actually launched a short, self-concocted campaign. A few months passed when we realised that we missed something -- something vague and therefore difficult to define but in the meantime intimately inherent in the Old World. Another few months elapsed and we knew that the second edition lacked that specific blend of grimness and mockery. With Chaos undivided and ubiquitous the Old World emerged as strikingly crystal clear. The whole spectrum of grey has been somehow lost in the fires of BI's forge.

And so a few weeks ago I decided to get back to the original face of the Old World. No WFB-ish Storm of Chaos, no Archaon. The Empire thrives and its once ever-vigilant people begin to deny the presence of The Enemy Within...

Yesterday I picked my own English copy of TEW and SoB. Now I know that good old Warhammer has really come back!
Gareth
Initiate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"With Chaos undivided and ubiquitous the Old World emerged as strikingly crystal clear. The whole spectrum of grey has been somehow lost in the fires of BI's forge. "

WIth this handful of words, you summed up it all up, rather nicely.
Higa
Initiate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how many Old Timers who have actually gone back fully, or partially to v1 at this moment - of left the game for other games?

The postings here and at BI do not any longer have the same frequency of Old Timers as it had a year ago... is this an indication that many people left v2 behind?

For my part, I have turned my back on WFRP (both editions) for now... I will -. of course - take it up again in 6 months or a year or so, re-entering the Old World in its original (and best) version: the v1.

But first I must let some time pass pass to cleanse out all things v2 from my mind.

Luckily for me - there are heaps of good RPG out there to spend my time on in the meanwhile.
Didz
Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Higa wrote:
The postings here and at BI do not any longer have the same frequency of Old Timers as it had a year ago... is this an indication that many people left v2 behind?

No...Its an indication that most of us got banned from the BI forum.
Even the V2 supporters like Hawk it seems.

Personally, I have suspended my game and I am still debating whether to restart it. At the moment other projects are keeping me occupied, though I still crave the creativity of running WFRP games in the V1 setting.
Chuck
Initiate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished reading "Robin's Laws of Good Gamemastering" (I highly recommend it) where he gives definitions of each type of gamer. A thought struck me: WFRP v1 was written for the "story-teller" type gamer and v2 has a greater emphasis on the "butt-kicker" gamer. Story-teller narratives can be done with v2 but v1 offers richer possibilities. I wonder if the v1-v2 debate all boils down to the type of GM and gamer each version plays to.
Nahuris
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that we finally hit the nail on the head.....
In the other thread with this topic in general discussion.... I mentioned that the cults all rose up to support Archaon, ect... and was pointedly told that the words printed in the book were mistaken.

The chaos undivided was kind of a let down.... suddenly all the little cultists had their day (although the orcs stopped them.... meaning, that the orcs did what the empire couldn't.......) and we are left with the emptyness that is left.......

Not only that, but one of the few things the empire had going for it was the fact that Korne hated Tziench, and Slaanesh wasn't really liked by anyone. Now.... we have Slaanesh bedding Nurgle, and Korne and Tziench getting together for lunch..... and all of them happy to pour the blessings on one champion.... which kind of defeats Korne's usual method of constant challenge to build his followers..... but that's ok, I am sure he is happy to compromise.....LOL.

Some of the most fun adventures that I ever played were those where our party got stuck in a situation that really didn't include us.... like accidentally helping the lord of changes (we were hired to do a prison break by a lesser noble to get his illegitimate son out before it was revealed that it was indeed an illegitimate son.) However, the noble was a follower of the lord of changes, and the son was a devotee of Slaanesh, and of course.... the son's cult had a rescue planned too. Imagine our surprise..... both sides assumed that we were supporting the other, and both cults were moving to get rid of us, while making sure it didn't trace back and attract any witch-hunters, and also ensure that we weren't helping the other cult....... Meanwhile, due to the fact that both sides were trying to get rid of us..... we were wanted by the city militia..... who declaring Martial Law, had closed the city down........

Fortunately, one of us had enough disguise skill to keep us in food while this was going on........

Good times.....

Nahuris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    STRIKE TO STUN FORUM Forum Index -> WFRP 1st edition All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: