- DANA WHITE CONFIRMS PENN VS. SHERK AND MORE
Sunday, January 20, 2008
- by Matt Wilkins & Lee Whitehead - MMAWeekly.com
NEWCASTLE-UPON-TYNE – In his post-fight comments following B.J. Penn’s lightweight championship victory over Joe Stevenson, Ultimate Fighting Championship president Dana White confirmed that Sean Sherk would be Penn’s first defense. He stated that the bout is planned for an unannounced event in May.
Much was made leading up to Saturday night’s main event at UFC 80 of Penn’s legacy in mixed martial arts. The win over Stevenson made him only the second fighter in UFC history to win a title in two different weight classes. The first was disgruntled heavyweight champion Randy Couture.
White stated that if Penn is able to defeat Sherk and hang on to the lightweight title, he could eventually see him returning to the welterweight division to fight Georges St. Pierre, assuming that St. Pierre still holds the belt if and when that time comes.
Aside from announcing Penn versus Sherk, White also indicated that Fabricio Werdum would be first in line to face the winner of Tim Sylvia and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, assuming that Couture doesn’t change his mind and decide to return and fight for the UFC. The winner of Sylvia versus Nogueira will be crowned the promotion’s interim heavyweight champion as the UFC refuses to strip Couture of his title designation, disgruntled or not.
Having recently taken up house with the Chute Boxe camp in Brazil, a newly aggressive Werdum defeated Gabriel Gonzaga on Saturday night, earning his shot at the interim champion.
Continuing with fighter related topics, White also said that Andrei Arlovski would be fighting at UFC 82 on March 1. He is expected to face an undefeated Jake O’Brien.
He also stated that Tito Ortiz would be fighting in May, if he accepts the UFC’s offer to face Lyoto Machida.
Other post-fight news and notes from Dana White:
–Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic is currently thinking about his future and is undecided about what his next move is.
–Croatia, Scotland, Germany and Dublin are all “on the map” now and that the UFC plans to run an event in Germany this year.
–UFC intends to return to England in June at the O2 Arena in London.
– Season seven of The Ultimate Fighter, featuring coaches Quinton Jackson and Forrest Griffin, will start shooting following Jan. 23’s UFC Fight Night 12 event.
– World Extreme Cagefighting is being moved around, starting with the Feb. 13 event in Albuquerque, N.M., but won’t be coming to the U.K. until next year.
Other UFC 80 notes:
– Announced attendance of 8,412
– No. 1 selling event in the history of the Metro Radio Arena
– Fight of the Night awarded to Paul Kelly and Paul Taylor (Each fighter given a $35,000 bonus)
– Knockout of the Night to Wilson Gouveia ($35,000 bonus)
– Submission of the Night to B.J. Penn ($35,000 bonus)
BACK TO THE NEWS
Related Articles :
- - STEVENSON VS. PENN FOR INTERIM TITLE AT UFC 80 (Saturday, November 03, 2007)
Joe Stevenson and B.J. Penn are set to do battle at UFC 80 in New Castle, England for the interim UFC lightweight title as confirmed by Stevenson earlier today...
- - PENN VS. STEVENSON ANNOUNCED FOR UFC 80 (Tuesday, November 06, 2007)
The Ultimate Fighting Championship on Monday officially announced UFC 80: Rapid Fire scheduled for Jan. 19 at the Metro Arena in Newcastle, England. The main event is a fight for the lightweight interim title between B.J. Penn and Joe Stevenson.
- - EXCLUSIVE: SEAN SHERK TALKS CSAC & INTERIM TITLE (Wednesday, November 07, 2007)
In an exclusive interview with MMAWeekly, UFC lightweight champion Sean Sherk discusses his case with the CSAC, supplements, and the interim title bout announced for UFC 80 ...
- - UFC PRES ADDRESSES SHERK, COUTURE, AND MORE (Monday, November 12, 2007)
Ultimate Fighting Championship president Dana White and several of his fighters addressed the media on Monday. While much of the talk centered on this weekend’s UFC 78 event in Newark, N.J., White also addressed several other pressing issues.
- - JOE DADDY & MARCUS DAVIS RADIO TONIGHT (Monday, January 07, 2008)
Tonight MMAWeekly Radio welcomes Joe “Daddy” Stevenson and “The Irish Hand Grenade” Marcus Davis to the show to talk about each of their respective bouts coming up at UFC 80 in England. The action begins at 9pm EST/6pm PST...
- - JOE STEVENSON: "I'M NOT THE UNDERDOG" (Thursday, January 17, 2008)
At just 25 years of age, Joe “Daddy” Stevenson already has more experience and more accomplishments than many fighters will ever get in their entire careers, but on Jan. 19 he will have the chance to win championship gold ...
- - B.J. PENN LOOKING FOR 2ND UFC TITLE (Wednesday, January 16, 2008)
On Jan. 19, BJ Penn has the opportunity to become only the second fighter in Ultimate Fighting Championship history to hold titles in two weight classes ...
- - FIGHT-BY-FIGHT: UFC 80 RAPID FIRE (Friday, January 18, 2008)
The Ultimate Fighting Championship returns to the U.K. on Saturday night where Joe Stevenson and B.J. Penn headline UFC 80 in Newcastle-Upon-Tynes ...
- - UFC 80 LIVE RESULTS FROM ENGLAND (Saturday, January 19, 2008)
MMAWeekly.com is live at the Metro Radio Arena bringing you all the action, as it happens, from Saturday's UFC 80 event, which features a headline bout between Joe Stevenson and B.J. Penn for the vacant UFC lightweight title ...
- - UFC 80 REVIEW & EXCLUSIVE PHOTO GALLERY (Saturday, January 19, 2008)
B.J. Penn continued to solidify his legacy at UFC 80 in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, England on Saturday night when he defeated Joe Stevenson to become the second UFC champion to win a title in two weight classes ...
Copyright 2007 MMA Weekly LLC. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of MMA Weekly content is expressly prohibited without expressed written consent of MMA Weekly. MMA Weekly will not be liable for any errors in content or any action taken in reliance thereof.