ARCHBISHOP CARROLL HIGH SCHOOL


ASSOCIATION | PROGRESS REPORT


Welcome
Student Life
Admissions
Academics
Guidance
Faculty/Staff
Parents
Athletics
Alumni
Business Champions
Calendar
Contact Us
Home
ARCHBISHOP CARROLL HIGH SCHOOL


SCHOOL HISTORY

While the city of Washington was still associated with the Archdiocese of Baltimore, the Most Reverend Michael J. Curley appointed his auxiliary, the Most Reverend John M. McNamara, to be chairman of the special committee of Washington priests who would select and purchase a site for a new Archdiocesan high school and begin to raise funds for its construction. On October 30, 1945, a plot of twelve acres was purchased from the Franciscan Friars of the Atonement, a plot of land that was the northwest portion of an old estate known as "The Vineyard," which comprised all the land now bounded by the Old Soldiers' Home and the "elbow" formed by Harewood Road. Four years later, sufficient contributions to the building fund had been made to begin construction. In September of 1949, the Most Reverend Patrick A. O'Boyle, the first Archbishop of the Archdiocese of Washington, named the school Archbishop Carroll High School. He did this to honor the memory of the American and Catholic figure, John Carroll [pictured above], and to establish the character and tone of the new school. Ground was broken for the new building on November 7, 1949. The building was complete and ready for the opening of school on September 7, 1951.


In his dedicatory announcement, Archbishop O'Boyle said, "American Catholics, but especially those of the Archdiocese of Washington, are proud of the distinguished service to Church, country and education by Archbishop John Carroll. He was born in what is now the Archdiocese, and he spent many fruitful years in this vicinity. His contribution to the Church he served so well, and to the country (U.S.) he loved so dearly, assures him of an honored place in American history. His name will serve as a constant inspiration to faculty, students and friends of the new school."

In 1950 Archbishop O'Boyle extended an invitation to the Augustinian Friars of the Province of St. Thomas of Villanova for the Augustinian Order to operate the school.

The Augustinians and the lay faculty and staff worked together to provide an outstanding college preparatory education for young men for nearly forty years.

A new chapter in the history of Catholic education in the Archdiocese of Washington began in 1989 with the merging of Archbishop Carroll, All Saints, Holy Spirit and Mackin High Schools into one central high school - Archbishop Carroll. An invitation was extended to the students of the Academy of Notre Dame and Regina High School to join in this exciting venture.

Over the past seven years the administration, faculty, parents and alumni have worked together to build a new Archbishop Carroll High School, which has as its foundation the history and traditions of all six schools merged.

Today, Archbishop Carroll High School educates over 700 young men and women. The school is conducted by the Archdiocese of Washington, and its faculty consists of 64 men and women dedicated to the education of the young people entrusted to its care.

202.529.0900