Haven Forums Forum Index
<  Questions  ~  Haven, motherphukker! Do you speak it?
Sczvit
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:15 pm  Reply with quote
Phear Leet

This guide is aimed at the fools who wanted to join this org and dared to step foot onto our bridge for their invite.

Haven chat can be an overwhelming place to new members; the constant epeen whoring, the epic typo-riddled ramblings, the light-hearted flaming (and malicious insults), the inside jokes and the nonsensical babble spewed forth by those of us thick skinned (or just plain thick - read insane) enough to stick around (or keep returning) for all these mentally fatiguing years.

Many of the above can be found all over the internet, but one thing is unique to us. Haven speak.

It is a faux-colloquial-slang-hybrid steeped in irony and sarcasm that has been evolving longer than most of our computer game addled brains can remember. I will attempt to document the various words and phrases used as a gesture of good will to our new members (and a dire warning as to just what you have let yourselves in for)

First, a brief, abridged version of how the language came about:

It was during the reign of Ghiam (aka G, Master G, prez, boss, leader, god, "where are you from?" etc.) who ruled with an iron fist and decreed that swearing would be outlawed in the org chat. The few that stood up to his latest commandment were annihilated, as he was a most mighty smiter. The less outspoken rebels took it upon themselves to rebuild their favourite curse word, the unrivaled "f u c k", in a way that did not displease Master G.

And so, "phuk" was born.

phuk - The catalyst that started it all. With the addition and subtraction of key letters, the foul-mouthed haveners could express high emotion without being reprimanded. This also lead to many other words and phrases in the language: phukking, phukker, mother phukker, phuktard etc.

wtp, pps - derivatives of "phuk" to replace the popular "wtf" and "ffs". Why exactly the "for" in "ffs" was affixed with a "p" we can only assume was to stop confusion with first-person shooters.

dudu, dudus - Possibly the most common Haven speak word, meaning "dude" but used as just a general term for people.

kawk - Cock, also name of the legendary bot involved with crashing, epic spam attacks and general fun stuff.

ccl - One of the most popular phrase from Haven speak, this has spread and is now used by many non-haveners. It is an acronym meaning: Couldn't care less.

zk, rzk - SK, research. (also spawned the lezzz [insert action] phrase used when expressing your need to want to do something and have other haveners do it with you, most commonly; lezzzzzzzzz zk

watafak - Not commonly used, regarded as slang for wtp. Possibly a cross-over from retard speak.

y - "Yes", not purely Haven speak but widely used and important to fit in.

Some words are merely misspellings of commonly used phrases and were inducted into Haven speak due to constant typos (or "G syndrome")

rog - "Org/Organisation"

paf - "APF/Alien Playfield"

The language also has some punctuation structures to incur different meanings

'y' or "y" - Speech marks or inverted commas are used to indicate sarcasm. Many stress that speech marks are the correct syntax, but I like to use inverted commas to differentiate from a quote. They can be used on any sentence or word, though most commonly just 'y'.

y. - The sarcastic full stop is one of the hardest grammatical features of Haven speak to spot (lol pun), usually it is only used on very short sentences or one word answers as it is identical to a normal full stop.

A simple part of Haven speak is to type acronyms phonetically, it is easy for even the beginner to do, but must not be overused.

el ef tee - LFT/Looking For Team, this particular phrase also spawned elftea with the same meaning.

I won't list more, there are far too many acronyms in AO and you get the idea.

Some words may spawn for different languages the most popular being:

qka - Short for "kukka" which in finnish is the word for "flower" and is used as a derogatory term implying weakness.

One phrase is used very rarely as it is situational - if somebody accidently types finnish into haven chat you should respond with:

y perkele - This is always the correct response to anything anyone will ever say in finnish (scientific fact.)

I will end on an important phrase, it was introduced in retaliation of great retardedness from an ex havener. This guy annoyed everyone, and still does even after being unceremoniously stripped of his Haven title.

ZOEF FORCE - Anything to do with Zoef, you can also append any number of exclamation marks onto the end.

Haven speak is a vast and confusing language, I am almost certain I have failed to list some parts of it and hope people will help me append this catalogue.

The language has brought our members endless amusement and helped the behemoth that is Haven become one of the god damn weirdest orgs in AO.

The creators of Haven speak can not be listed, too many people have introduced words, phrases and helped the language evolve and spread (like a particularly virulent strain of Ebola, eating away at the soft underbelly of the AO community) but I can name some of the big contributors.

The main perpetrators include anca (introduced ccl due to a need for an english varient of the finnish 'evvk' ('ei voisi vähempää kiinnostaa, literally translated too 'couldn't care less'), nimppa (nimro), ed (edolran), myself (vits), flace (falce), z (zixx), those that helped the language evolve; ant (intake), zippy (unzipped - also highly involved in the creation of zoef force), steel, hakky, mel, handy and, I'm sure, many more that I may have missed.

Additions and Amendments:
27/01/08 @ 19:33

It is good practice to throw in foreign punctuation marks into random words on rare occasion, eg. löls. The umlaut doesn't really mean anything in Haven speak, but it is totally cool.

When using the name of the newish penumbra PF "Alappa" it is neccessary to add many "al"s, "ap"s etc. like so: alappalaplapplapapalapalapalplal

When hbot is down it is polite to let others know by saying pps norb sucks

Anca adds that pps was formed because it was easier and more logical to apply the same phonetic rule (f -> ph) for all words in "ffs"

Major Addition:

any - to be used when questioned about a quantity, eg. "How many people at beast?" "any" The original introducer of word was player named 'Oxotnik', who, when asked how much sk left to 220, replied with 'any'.

29/01/08 @ 12:55

nss - No sh*t Sherlock, not strictly haven speak but adopted by the natives and widely used.

A couple of words occasionally used are based on dialects typed too literally, mostly by mel but also the other vikings:

wery - Very
nise - Nice
Usually used together, eg. "wery nise"

This phrase also spawned bretty - Pretty, eg. "bretty good"

Last edited by Sczvit on Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:59 pm; edited 8 times in total

Sczvit
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:19 pm  Reply with quote
Phear Leet

Before you ask: my internet cut out and I got really, really phukkin bored. Imo this should be stickied in every section of the forum alr ;p

Ancalagon
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:33 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Creeper

1. you should mention that "pps" was formed cuz it was easier and more logical to apply same phonetic rule (f -> ph) for all words in "ffs"
2. other stuff said on msn (foreign punctuation etc)

funniest post in a while tbh Very Happy i'll try to remember some stuff later tonight
Steelblade
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:33 pm  Reply with quote
Havenite

lewl Cool

Hidan
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:40 pm  Reply with quote
Epic Ninja

Alappalalalaalplalpalapalapla -> Alappal00za
Oceed
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:39 am  Reply with quote
Number 2 in post farming

rofl...perkele

Norbal
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:29 am  Reply with quote
Tech General

Haha, I'm sooo stickying this in the Questions board! Very Happy

Norbal.setBotMaster(true);
Norbal.setMPGuru(true);
Norbal.setSanityProbability((float)0.02);

Chronicles of the Bots (The left guy in the 3rd panel is sooooo G)
Wakizaka
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:34 am  Reply with quote
Forum Monkey

Nice guide there dudu, hopefully the new peeps won't be to intimidated and ask 'wtp is up with this freak rog dotdotdot ?'

Dasch
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:58 am  Reply with quote
Leet

This guide delivers!!!!!!!11!!!oNe1!!oneoneone

But srsly, funny and wery informative!!

Last edited by Dasch on Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total

Anyone need mish help, etc? Can kill/calm/blitz almost anything up to Lvl 250 on RK, less for aliumz and MUCH less for SL
Ancalagon
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:19 am  Reply with quote
Forum Creeper

Historical trivia:
The original introducer of word 'any' was player named 'Oxotnik', who, when asked how much sk left to 220, replied with 'any'.

Introducer of 'ccl' was me, because i needed english version of 'evvk' ('ei voisi vähempää kiinnostaa', literally 'couldn't care less') or 'evvvk' ('ei voisi vittu vähempää kiinnostaa', literally 'couldn't phukking care less').

Introducer of 'phuk' and its variations was either steel, me, or someone equally as 'old'.
Sczvit
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:04 pm  Reply with quote
Phear Leet

Changed some stuff, that is one phukkin comprehensive guide Very Happy

Intake
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:43 pm  Reply with quote
Leet

Hahahaha tim, excellent.

add "nss"

Last edited by Intake on Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Intake
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:44 pm  Reply with quote