Citroen's Sebastien Loeb has said that he had no choice but to pull out of the Uddeholm Swedish Rally as his engine had just suffered too much following his off on day 1.
Loeb, who rolled his C4
car in SS4 on Friday, re-joined under the SupeRally format on Saturday, but despite setting two fastest stage times in SS9 and SS11, the team withdrew him following the mid-day service.
"In the sort of situation we were in, it's never easy to know what tactic to adopt. We tried to push hard to stay concentrated and everything went well up to the service halt, but we decided not to go any further because our engine had suffered too much in our off on SS4," he confirmed.
Citroen team boss Olivier Quesnel meanwhile added that as the engine had started to show signs of 'weakness' - no doubt as a result of that incident on Friday - they preferred to stop him.
Seb seemingly had little to gain by continuing either as he had been running in 42nd place overall post-SS11, nearly 25 minutes off the lead, 18 minutes off a place in the top ten and almost five minutes off Chris Atkinson, who was - and remains on course - to pick up the final manufacturers' point.
Speaking earlier in the day though, the Frenchman was clearly not very enthusiastic about having to re-start under the SupeRally.
"I am not satisfied with my position, but we are still competing. The car is fine. The team wanted me to drive [today], so I stayed on the road," he told vysledky-rally.cz
. "My tactics for today? [I want to] go home!"