Sport is an integral part of life at Barker. Selection in a School team is a matter of pride. As a result, sport takes priority over other activities. Participation in sports is compulsory at Barker. Athletics, Swimming, Rugby, Soccer, Cricket, Tennis, Cross-Country, Basketball, Hockey, Softball and Netball are the main sports played against other schools, although there are many others offered.
Participation in team sports, healthy competition and skills development are essential elements in the development of well-balanced young people. A strong sense of sportsmanship and fair play is fostered among the whole School community.
Most sports offer several levels of interschool competition and students are carefully graded to a team that matches their individual level of skill. In addition Middle School students may compete in House Competitions in Athletics, Swimming, Rugby, Basketball, Cross-Country and Soccer.
Barker Sporting Facts
- All students participate in a Summer and a Winter Sport
- Middle School students compete in House sporting competition at lunchtimes
- Barker's sporting facilities include six ovals, several tennis courts, an indoor swimming pool, a gymnasium, and a weights room
- Boys compete in the Combined Associated Schools (CAS) Competition
- Girls compete in the Independent Sports' Association (ISA) Competition and in local district and community sporting competitions.
Sports played at Barker
Athletics, Basketball, Cricket, Cross-Country, Dance, Fencing, Football, Hockey, Lifesaving, Netball, Rugby, Softball, Squash, Surf Lifesaving, Swimming, Tae Kwon Do,Tennis, Volleyball and Waterpolo.