Electrical & Civil Engineering
Partridge Hall was named after Captain Alden Partridge, USA, who founded the American Literary, Scientific, and Military Academy that went on to become Norwich University. Alden Partridge was born in Norwich, Vermont in 1785 and attended Dartmouth College before being appointed to the United States Military Academy and graduating with the Class of October 1806. Upon graduation, he held various positions at the Academy before leaving as the Superintendent in 1817 and establishing the forerunner of Norwich University (1819).
Construction of Partridge Hall, a building dedicated to Civil and Electrical Engineering, began in 1941 and was completed at a cost of $75,000. Of this amount, $46,642.21 was realized in contributions. The building was renovated and outfitted with state-of-the-art equipment in 1996. See also Alden Partridge Statue.
Gymnasium, Training Rooms, Athletic Offices, Navy ROTC
Construction started on an armory that would provide military and athletic facilities in 1928. The main floor provides seating space for 4,000 people in an area as large as three basketball courts. There is a running track on the second floor elevation with locker rooms, training rooms, and ROTC offices in the basement. The building measures 248 feet in length and 106.75 feet in width.
The original cost of construction was $300,000, of which $50,000 was met from an appropriation of that amount from the Vermont Government for the construction of state armories. A gift of $25,000 from Edward Dean Adams, Class of 1864, was also used while the rest of the money came from University funds.
A problem with the original design was the incessant leaking of the roof. To remedy this situation, a new roof was installed in 1952 along with other renovations including refinishing of the main floor at a cost of $7,000.
The armory remained without a name for more than forty years until it was christened the Charles A. Plumley Armory at the Founder's Day Convocation on October 20, 1962. Charles Plumley graduated from Norwich in 1896 with a Bachelor of Arts degree and received additional degrees from Norwich (A.M, 1899; LL.D, 1921; Litt.D, 1947), Middlebury College (LL.D, 1922), Boston University (LL.D, 1940), and the University of Vermont (LL.D, 1941). He was a Captain in the Vermont National Guard and later a Colonel in the Officers Reserve Corps. He remained President of Norwich University from 1920 to 1934, before being elected to the United States Congress as Vermont's sole representative.
Dr. George K. Sabine, Class of 1868, provided funds for the purchase of land for an athletic field. The field was dedicated on October 8, 1921 and consisted of a football gridiron, a quarter-mile running track, and a baseball diamond. The field name commemorates Dr. Sabine's late son, George K. Sabine, Jr.
Aluminum bleachers with twenty rows of seats with a capacity for approximately 1500 spectators replaced the original wooden ones in 1949. Today, the field is used for football and track.
Back to Map | More Northfield Campus Photos
Source: Guinn, Robert Darius, The History of Norwich University, 1912-1965.