Laurier Trivia Challenge
Laurier Trivia Challenge
Dave Shore Jan 16, 2008
Think you know everything there is to know about Laurier, but have never had the opportunity to prove it? We thought so. Try testing your knowledge of Laurier trivia.
* Image By: Julie Marion
The quiz is now over! Thanks to everyone who participated.
The answers are now bold in the questions below.
The top 5 participants have now been contacted about their prizes. Congratulations!
Christmas time is over, and everyone is back, firmly entrenched in another grueling semester of school work. The days of gift wrap, turkey dinners and relaxation have been ushered out and replaced by four more months of papers, books, and tests.
In light of this, Cord Features presents a test of its own. Our test, however, is entirely optional, just for fun, and best of all, not for marks.
Take a look at our trivia challenge and take some time to think about the questions. Then, next time you’re at a computer, go to our website at www.cordweekly.com to take the quiz, submit your responses, and find out the answers.
Whoever scores the best on the quiz will win some great prizes. Contest entry will be open until Friday at midnight. Full contest details will be available on our website.
But for now, enjoy the Cord Trivia Challenge, and find out if you are indeed a trivia buff. Do you know all there is to know about WLU?
1. WLU currently has how many faculty members?
2. Which former Premier of Ontario is WLU’s current chancellor?
- Mike Harris
- Bob Rae
- Ernie Eves
- David Peterson
3. The Maureen Forrester Recital Hall was named after a former Laurier:
- Dean of Music
- Dean of Students
4. You cannot receive a degree from WLU in which of the following cities?
5. In 1999, its first year of operation, Laurier Brantford had how many students enrolled?
6. WLU was the first school in Canada to offer this student service that had already gained
prominence in American universities:
- A students' union
- Fraternities and sororities
- An environmental club
7. WLU consists of how many faculties?
8. What percentage of WLU’s student body is from outside of Ontario?
9. WLU’s Waterloo campus consists of how many buildings?
10. Of all the buildings on the Waterloo campus, how many of them are residences?
11. When Wilfrid Laurier University was founded in 1911, it was originally opened under what name?
- Waterloo Lutheran University
- Waterloo College
- University of Waterloo
- Evangelical Lutheran Seminary of Canada
12. Female students first studied at WLU in what year?
13. The first form of student government – the students' executive council - which later became WLUSU, was created in what year?
14. When Laurier students first started Shinerama, they took to the streets repeating which phrase in order to raise money for charity?
-“let us wash your car for CF”
-“Everybody could use some sunshine.”
-“Let us shine your shoes and brighten someone’s day.”
-“Let us shine your shoes for retarded children.”
15. Wilfrid Laurier University holds the record for the highest-grossing Shinerama campaign in history, with $177,000 raised in what year?
16. In 1973, WLU changed its name from Waterloo Lutheran University to Wilfrid Laurier University. Which of these alternate names were not on the short list of possible names?
- Leif Erikson University
- Marlboro University
- Beaver University
- Mackenzie King University
Golden Hawks Athletics
17. Before WLU’s sports teams went by the moniker of Golden Hawks, what less dynamic animal did our athletes call themselves?
- The Parrots
- The Mules
- The Aardvarks
- The Lemmings
18. Wilfrid Laurier University has won two Vanier Cups in its history. How many times has WLU competed in the Vanier Cup game and gone home empty-handed?
19. Aside from the Golden Hawks men’s football team, which of these Golden Hawks teams has won a national championship within the CIS?
- Men’s curling
- Women’s hockey
- Women’s rugby
- Women’s lacrosse
20. How many OUA championships have the Golden Hawks women’s lacrosse team won in the last 5 years?
21. How many former Golden Hawks were listed on CFL rosters in 2007?
22. Two former Golden Hawks have won gold medals for Canada in 2006 in what Olympic sport?
- Freestyle skiing
- Figure skating
- Ice hockey
Our Namesake, Wilf
23. Sir Wilfrid Laurier is depicted on which Canadian currency?
-the five dollar bill
-the ten dollar bill
-the twenty dollar bill
-the fifty dollar bill
24. On what day did Laurier enter office as the first French-Canadian Prime Minister of Canada?
- Sept 18, 1871
- July 11, 1896
- Jan 3, 1910
- Mar 23, 1925
25. Wilfrid Laurier holds the record for the most time spent holding a seat in the House of Commons. For how long did Laurier have a seat in parliament?
- 20 years
- 30 years
- 37 years
- 45 years
26. Which of these Canadian political records does Wilfrid Laurier not hold?
- Longest unbroken term as a PM
- Most consecutive federal elections won
- Longest time as the leader of a political party
- Largest majority won in parliament
27. Laurier graduate Paul Heinbecker formerly held which of these positions?
- Federal Member of Parliament for Waterloo
- CBC international correspondent
- Canadian ambassador to the United Nations
- President of the Royal Bank of Canada
28. Laurier Grad Cam Heaps co-founded and is president of which brewing company?
- Brick Brewery
- Steam Whistle Brewing
- Steelback Brewery
- Lakeport Brewing Company
29. Since 1963, WLU has given honorary degrees to how many former Canadian Prime Ministers?
30. Which Canadian hip-hop artist has a degree in economics from WLU?
- Kardinal Offishall
Other Articles by this Writer
Digital Dating: can we really click online? Feb 13, 2008
GI Hawks: Beyond the Words Jan 31, 2008
Transparency needed for effective politics Jan 23, 2008
Juggling act: getting into grad school Nov 28, 2007
Inclusive language at Christmas is patronizing Nov 28, 2007
"The digital dilemma"
February 19, 2008
Ramblings from the National Affairs Desk
"Dion's big decision"
February 18, 2008
Photographic coverage of women's volleyball: WLU vs. RMC on Saturday, February 2.
|Made in the Dark by Hot Chip|
February 13, 2008
Hot Chip's new Electro-pop album is worth a listen, but overall mixes a collision of sound that stands to discredit their talent.
February 13, 2008
The golden haired duo of Matthew McConaughey and Kate Hudson are back in this semi-entertaining romantic comedy.
February 07, 2008
Less than eye opening. Another remake of a Chinese horror flick, The Eye is Sixth Sense meets Final Destination.
Crime of the week:
Reported: Feb. 10, 6:24 pm
Special Constables were contacted by a RLAC to report that sometime last evening a female student was hit in the face with a paintball shot from a moving vehicle. The student was not seriously injured in the incident. Waterloo Regional Police have been notified and will be investigating.
read the rest of the crimes...
Click here for more information!