A booklet of the Historic Garden Week In Virginia - April 22-30, 2000 includes the following description of Kerfoot.Located in Upperville, Kerfoot is handsome Federal house (circa 1820) once a property of Daniel Kerfoot , and his wife Maria, daughter of Joseph Carr, the founder of Carr Town, now called Upperville. Kerfoot was constructed on an earlier 18th century fieldstone foundation and is flanked by the post-bellum kitchen wing and a 1963 library. The house remains a family home with original fireplaces, heart-pine flooring and woodwork. The whitewashed Flemish bond brickwork was fired on the property. A herringbone line-of-sight walk leads to a graceful fanlight entrance. A staircase spirals up three floors to hand-hewn rafters with wooden peg fastenings. An atmosphere of comfort and tradition pervades the house with warm Federal colors, antique Persian carpets and Waterford Chandeliers.
The library and sitting room contain cherished 17th through 19th century ancestral books. Original paneled eight-and-one-half-foot double doors lead to the dining room. A former holding pantry was expanded into a sunny country kitchen.
From the hall to the rear and down the path is a stone folly. English period gardens designed to be enjoyed from each window also create secluded retreats with specimen trees under-planted with flowering trees, ornamental shrubs, perennials and bulbs against a background of century-old shade trees. Norway spruce, boxwood, Leyland cypress, hollies, and cherry, magnolia and dogwood trees.
Island and border beds interweave, providing four seasons of color and cutting gardens. A carriage/garden house is all that remains of a former black-smithy, kitchen and town jail. Open for the first time in April, 2000. The 2000 owners are Colonel & Mrs. William Vance.
Sources: 46. and 49.